Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 10:12 pm

There will be a gent called Tezla along in a few decades.... Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1792231099

What scale is this again,1;1 surely. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1705482731

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 30 May 2016, 12:17 am

Nigel - thanks for your kind words and encouragement.  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 3887228019  
I believe I've heard mention of that chap Tesla.  He sounds a bit of a quack, if truth be told.
 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1792231099

We're now at mid-August, 2015, in terms of the backlog and it was at this time that I realized I was trying to do too many different things at once - as evidenced by the last few posts.  I'd been thinking about the accessories for the steam cycle for a while and so in order to kind of clear my head and give myself a morale boost by actually completing something I chose to build a 1/6 scale flint sparker.  Looking on the Net only gave me lots of modern versions then I saw that we had an older version at work so I borrowed it for long enough to use it for reference.  Here's the start where I am soldering brass strips together for the handle of the sparker.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo551

The real thing and the little brass version below.  When I saw how simple the construction of the real thing was I chose to follow what was rather than trying to figure out a different way to make it.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo552

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo553

Mimicking the striker portion took some thought but I settled on wrapping wire with much thinner wire.  I also drilled out the holes for the striker post to seat into in the handle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo554

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo555

The look of the wire striker was a bit 'clean' for my tastes and after some thought I chose to wrap some FireLine over the existing coil and set it with thin CA.  FireLine is a brand of jewelry cord that is thin but nubbed so that it 'locks' with even a simple tie.  That rough surface should translate as the rough texture of a striker in scale, I hope.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo556

Comparison photo.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo557

The cup and the triangular flint holder, also made from the brass sheet stock I used for the handle.  The post in the flint holder is copper wire.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo558

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo559

Comparison photo.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo560

After blackening.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo561

Final comparison photo.  At this point I called it a success and I even took the replica to work to show my mates, not to show off but to ask, "Does this look ok?"  Their votes of approval helped me out my creative slump in the same way that the on-going encouragement from the online community help keep me motivated.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo562
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 30 May 2016, 12:35 am

Buck - thanks for the kind encouragement.  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 3887228019

Having gotten out of my slump it became an issue of getting things done and out of the way.  Here's the left handlebar with more added detail in the form of tabs and hex nuts to finalize the clamps.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo563

Affixed the water tank to the head light body with 2 part epoxy.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo564

Test fit and the overall look of the headlight emerges.  The little 'flame' looking water tap handle is a part of a charm bracelet charm with excess stuff cut away.  I believe the original was more Fleur-De-Lys looking.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo565

Adding detail to the reaction chamber.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo566

The setting for the offset water fill.  Most of the carbide lamps I saw incorporated the fill cap with the water tap but I chose to go this route because I thought it would look cool.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo567

The reflector dish for the headlight.  I had originally thought of just using the back of the head light body for this but a separate reflector dish is kind of the norm so here we go.  The black ring is the seat which will be affixed to the reflector dish and the white bit will be affixed to the back of the headlight body.  The putty in the middle of the reflector is to fill the hole I made for cutting the part out of a ping pong ball.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo568

The tail light shroud, reflector dish and parts for body, water tank and reaction chamber.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo569

Reflector dish for the head light set up for easy fitting and removal.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo570

The gas feed tube for the lamp.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo571

A ring around the reflector - this is one of those rare cases where I use CA to affix metal to plastic instead of epoxy.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo572

Added another detail ring in the tail light shroud, just because.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo573

The tail light parts start to take shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo574

At this point I'm getting closer to the now, close enough that I can almost see my own behind if I use strong binocs. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1792231099
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 30 May 2016, 4:58 am

Time to sneak in one more post.  The head light water tank fill cap shaped and affixed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo575

The centre post which will secure the water tank to the reaction chamber and the base plate.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo576

Test fit and a view of the hinge added to the water fill cap.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo578

The tail light body/water tank combo and the reflector dish.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo579

Tail light shroud, body/water tank and reaction chamber.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo581

Tail light body with added ring details.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo580

Head light - the water fill cap closure clip added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo582

Adding decorative 'ribbing' to the parts of the head light. I have no idea if these are structurally necessary but they make things look more ornate without being overly difficult to make.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo583

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo584

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo585

The tail light parts - the body/water tank has had some depth added with an addition to the rear. The post being 'thickened' with styrene strips will be the centre post to secure the upper and lower parts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo586

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 30 May 2016, 9:24 am

Awesome scratch building Kats, I mean that peg!!, it looks exactly like a real one!! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1792231099
Seriously though, this gets better and better.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2016, 2:14 pm

I am really enjoying this Kats. Particularly how you are making the bits and using fixtures to achieve you end results, bravo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2016, 4:10 pm

Enjoying this build to the MAX!!!! Good stuff you got going on, keep after it. How long have you been working on this build?

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 3:59 am

Gaz, Curt & Buck - Mille Grazzi for your kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 3887228019
Gaz - that peg took a lot of work, I was 'milling' it from larger stock then it occurred to me that I had stuff the size I needed on hand  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 1792231099  

Buck - this build just celebrated it's 2nd birthday on May 29th - soon I will post the Big Test Fit shots.

So, the tail light reflector dish gets a mount point, the rod I was thickening turns out to be a tube and is pretty much ready and the water tank portion gets a square base.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo587

Filling in the voids with styrene bits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo591

The tail light reaction chamber appears, in pieces, and the base of the water tank gets drilled.  The centre portion of the top piece is the hunk of tube I was working on, set into discs.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo592

And I decided to add even more depth to the headlight body/water tank.  The rough outline is now about right.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo589

It occurred to me that I hadn't taken a photo of the head light since I'd added detail so here it is.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo588

The reaction chamber get widened at the base.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo590

The tail light parts with connecting rod.  Added details to the reaction chamber in the form of rings.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo593

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo596

Time to get the shroud onto the body, using the same techniques as the head light.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo595

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo597

A different sort of vent.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo598

Jumping to the Head light once more - I bought a discounted PE set (damaged so some of it was unusable) for a 1/350 IJN warship because some of the shapes appealed to me.  Here's the start of adding PE but not in their intended form.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo599

Somewhere along the line I decided to re-think the gas tube flame feed for the lamp.  This might be a bit modern-ish for the whole steampunk thing but I chose to go with centre mounted ones in the wing nut style.  Pictured here is my lucky first attempt and the bits which make it up.  Tube slice over hex rod, drill out end of hex rod and add round rod, make appropriate cuts, shape 'wings' from flat strip, attach.  You may or may not wish to utter repeated profanities during the process, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo594

Test fit with head light reflector.  I filled the previous hole with medium thick gap fill CA.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo600
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 31 May 2016, 9:07 am

I really like the way these lights are coming together Kats, they are going to look amazing.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Gaz - Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement!  In the 'now' part of the time-space continuum they are primed and waiting for that splendiferous day when I actually get started on painting ... hopefully before the year 2020, lol.

Idle day with a tweaked back, nothing serious but enough to keep me at home.  So I'll utilize the opportunity to do some more photo slammin' in an effort to get caught up.  Here's the start of the mounting assembly for the head light using styrene tubing which was then affixed to the water tank with 2 part epoxy.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo601

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo605

Tail light reflector dish with the 'new' version of the gas feed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo609

Filling in the voids on the head light water tank mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo604

The head light reaction chamber mount getting shaped to fit.  You can also see the PE parts set into place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo603

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo602

The 'plates' for the headlight mount start taking shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo611

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo607

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo608

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo606

And a scale shot of both lamps.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo610
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 5:24 pm

Now for the head light mount backside which will seat onto the forks.  The thicker 'core' was made from discs cut from sheets and stacked - two different diameters involved.  The tubes get attachments and the bits form the rear part of the mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo612

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo615

A simple jig to insure proper spacing and alignment, both for the rear mount portion and for further development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo613

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo617

The basics are laid out, now for some detailing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo618

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo614

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo616

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo622

Working up the base plate for the mount and some seating pegs set into the fork crossmember.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo620

Because of the 'one way only' fitting of this style of scratch building I often use offset pegs to insure there's no chance of putting it in the wrong way.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo624

The mount part starts to 'look the part.'
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo619

Test fit with springer forks in place.  This was crucial because of the limited space available.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo625

The two sides of the head light with scale comparison.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo621

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo623
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 5:38 pm

The plates for the mount get some development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo627

Now to form a 'spring' for the mount - this is based on designs I saw for bicycle mounted carbide lamps which actually exist even today.  I 'sweated' two strips of brass sheet together then shaped them.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo631

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo629

Scale photo and hand held test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo628

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo633

A hex nut makes it's appearance, with a slot added once I realized it was too tight to get a socket in there.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo630

The tail light gets detailed and gets its water tap, not as fancy as the head light.  After some thought I went with the wing nut idea which worked well for the gas feeds.  Same basic principle of construction.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo632

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo636

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo634

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo635

Test fit with scale comparison.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo637

The head light needs a gas feed from the reaction chamber to the reflector dome, here's the start - a simple rectangular chunk which will act as a 'brace' since the head light body is pretty big and sits out quite a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo638
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 31 May 2016, 5:59 pm

The lamp looks amazing presented up to the forks Kats, and that little wing nut is brilliant!!
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 6:03 pm

Gaz - thanks again for the kind comments.  I can't take full credit for the wing nuts, or for much of my scratch building.  The vast majority of it is cribbed from the works of others and adapted to my needs.  I guess that's kind of why I'm flooding this WIP with photos and notes, a form of Paying It Forward for all the info I've gleaned from other folk.

The front 'brace' roughed out.  Also, adding tabs to the mount point and brace.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo639

The gas feed tube shaped from copper wire.  The ends are hex nuts with 'washers' added just because.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo642

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo647

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo644

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo645

More hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo651

The head light mount gets hex nuts but I was unhappy with the way it looked ... more on that in a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo640

For the tail light mount assembly I chose a similar path as with the head light but with slight variations.  Because it would be that much smaller than the head light assembly I decided to go with brass tube instead of styrene.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo641

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo643

The first try at making 'rods' instead of plates for the mount.  I will say now that this idea failed, but more on that in a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo648

The rear portion of the tail light mount.  Brass affixed to plastic with 2 part epoxy.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo646

Returning to the head light mount, I realized it looked too 'insubstantial' so I started adding depth all over.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo650

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo653

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo652
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 6:12 pm

The tail light mount rods evolve.  I previously stated the original plastic rod concept failed so I went with copper wire soldered to the brass tube portions.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo654

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo657

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo660

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo659

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo664

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo663

Adding stabilizers to the rods.  I made them different in order to not confuse top and bottom.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo655

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo656

Adding details - copper foil tape secured with thin CA followed by rivets made from round rod instead of hex nuts (gasp!).
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo658

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo661

Test fit with scale comparison.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo662

I forgot to take photos of the process of making the spring for the tail light mount but it's a lot simpler than the head light spring, just some wire and a small post soldered in the appropriate spot.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo665
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 6:27 pm

And now to figure out how to mount the tail light mount onto the rear fender. Pictured here is the rear portion of the tail light mount assembly and the start of the fender mount post and plate.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo666

Fender mount post and plate affixed together, brass sheet shaped into a sleeve for the rear of the tail light mount assembly and a bit of round rod which I think didn't get used.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo675

The sleeve in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo670

Sleeve detail added and the bits ready for further development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo668

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo667

Test fit and things are looking as I hoped they would.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo669

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo671

In order to keep the tail light secure I decided to go a bit elaborate.  Instead of a simple 'cap' I wanted something more Steampunk so here's what I came up with.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo673

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo672

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo674

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo678

The little knob at the top is styrene rod that I 'milled' with the Dremel.  I use a flex-arm attachment for the Dremel so I stuck some styrene rod into the chuck, set it at the lowest possible speed (5 000 rpm) and carefully shaped it with an X-Acto blade tip.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo676

At this point I declared the tail light complete.  Here's a couple of photos where you can see the added PE details around the base of the reaction chamber.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo677

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo679
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 6:46 pm

The Steam Engine Begins!

If I remember correctly my caption of this photo was, "From such crap I will build a Steam Engine! *maniacal laughter*"  In the end a lot of this stuff didn't wind up being utilized, what else is new, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo680

The ring with the quadrant marks was cut from Plexiglass tube and will be the flywheel.  The discs are styrene sheet and will become the centre of the flywheel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo687

One of the discs with the hole pattern cut into it, the flywheel gets more added circumference and the crankshaft slides into view.  This piece of copper tube wasn't going to be the actual crankshaft but a sizing reference.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo683

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo688

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo684

Time to start adding details.  The bras ring will wind up being used somewhere as a spacer.  The styrene discs are for the cap.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo689

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo681

For the crankcase I dug out bits from a parts box, specifically a wrecked Bugatti model I found somewhere.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo682

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo685

Inspiration comes in many forms.  In this case, a Lego keychain R2 D2 which I took apart and modified.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo686

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo692

The flywheel will need a manual crank arm, why I'm not sure but aesthetically it should look cool, I hope.  Here's the start of making the mount point for it.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo690

Shaping, cutting, coring and so forth.  The body of R2 D2 winds up becoming the body of the crankcase.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo694

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo693

All the parts featured and the first appearance of the manual crank arm.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo691
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 6:59 pm

Working up the flywheel ring wasn't difficult, just time consuming.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo695

The ends of the crankcase develop and the crank arm as well.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo701

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo698

Setting up the crank arm mount - I wanted to achieve an old fashioned look and the 'easiest' way to that was to just make it in pieces rather than trying to shape solid bits to look like they were assembled from separate bits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo707

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo699

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo702

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo696

Crankcase ends developing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo697

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo700

Crank arm detailing. Adding tabs, scribing the seams and adding hex nuts and brass wire bits for bolts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo704

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo708

The mount 'gasket flange' for 'drive side' crankcase end.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo706

Here's where I had a major change of thought.  The original concept was for the flywheel to sit perpendicular at the front of the frame.  Then it occurred to me that switching it up 90 degrees would make things simpler from an engineering standpoint.  I posted these photos and asked for advice and everyone thought that the 'in-line' approach looked better so that's the way I'm going.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo705

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo703
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 8:30 pm

Getting close to the now in terms of back log.  I'd like to apologize once more for all the scrolling I'm making folks do.

Developing the crank arm mount details.  The teeny little cotter pin was a last second inspiration based on real world stuff.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo720

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo724

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo723

The gasket flanges developing, I chose to cut two of them in order to mimic the look of real world machinery.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo726

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo725

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo727

The flywheel side cover is a few steps behind the drive side.  Here its just had hex nuts added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo721

Adding 'ribs' to the covers.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo722

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo729

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo728

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo731

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo730
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 8:52 pm

More modding to the flywheel - with the new arrangement I needed to thin it down so I came up with this rig to help keep things straight and symmetrical.  You can see one of the cut off rings to the top left.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo732

Modify rig for bevelling the circumference equally.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo734

Added bits of half-round styrene in line with the hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo740

The crank arm mount was also too thick with the new arrangement so I cut down the thickest post by a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo736

The crank arm needs a handle but instead of a straight rod style I decided to go with a 'door knob' look to keep the side on profile minimized.  First I pre-milled the end of a rod using the Dremel method previously described, then added layers.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo737

A look at the milling set up.  I use a flex arm attachment for my Dremel because it's easier to fine control.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo741

The shape is roughed out.  I have done similar work by hand in the past, it just takes a lot longer and it's more difficult to make it symmetrical.  Using the Dremel took less than fifteen minutes.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo733

Cut from the post, shaped and cleaned up.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo735

After holes are drilled a test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo738

The crankcase gasket flanges are developing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo739

Both sides worked up and a test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo742

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo745

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo744

And one of the expected results of a test fit, more modding, lol.  Here I'm adding layers to the crankcase body.  Also, here's a view of the back of the flywheel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo743
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by kpnuts Tue 31 May 2016, 9:46 pm

Oh my God, that is soooooooooooo impressive, I am full of admiration. I'm gobsmacked, this is just incredible.

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 11:12 pm

kpnuts - Thank you so much for your very kind comments.   Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 3887228019

Time to start figuring out how things will fit in the frame and that means I need to know how much room I have to work with.  I re-assembled the kit engine and drivetrain parts in oder to get an idea of the original situation.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo746

The slightly refined frame rig with little green markers for the width of the original parts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo754

Thickening the body of the crankcase some more.  These bits were compass scribed from sheet and cut into quadrants followed by fitting.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo758

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo749

The start of the connecting rod housing.  Early in this build I had envisioned having the moving parts in view but after looking at a plethora of steam engines I realized that the majority hid their workings behind housings.  This made my life a lot easier, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo750

Two different diameter smokestacks from a wrecked toy steam engine.  I thought it would be fitting to use these for the main cylinder for my steam engine.  Remove the gold chrome, cut and cut some more.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo751

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo747

The cylinder in rough form and the connecting rod housing gets some wings, so to speak.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo748

The wings get filled a bit and the housing takes on the triangular shape I was after.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo753

Cleaned up a bit and more structure added.  Also, the beginnings of the top plate which will mount to the cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo755

The mount plate takes form.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo752

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo757

Rather than leave it square I clipped the corners because, well, it looks cooler that way, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo756
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 11:21 pm

The crankcase frame mount begins.  I always save leftover bits from scratch building, in this case I utilized the holes cut into sheet styrene to get the curve, after that it was just squaring off the sides.  I used scrap chunks as spacers as this piece only needed to look solid.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo759

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo763

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo762

The connecting rod housing now has a defined outline and the crankcase frame mount rough piece seems to work.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo769

Detailing the cylinder mount plate.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo764

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo770

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo760

The frame mount gets some development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo761

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo767

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo766

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo765

Mounting pegs for the connecting rod housing - offset so it can only fit the one way.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo768

We're almost to the now, the anticipation of finally getting caught up is growing, lol.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 11:32 pm

Starting the eccentric wheel which will be fixed on the crankshaft and work the valves for the cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo773

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo774

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo771

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo776

Adding the mounts for the eccentric sleeve.  To keep things aligned I used brass callipers.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo775

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo778

The base for the eccentric rod attached using the calliper for proper squaring.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo772

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo780

The start of the housing for the valves on the cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo777

Frame modding begins anew.  The white rod is set in in a better position than the moulded bracket.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo779

Cut away the parts of the bracket that aren't needed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo781

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 4 Hd_mo782
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next