Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Fri 27 May 2016, 4:16 am

The rear portion of the rear fender gets worked on now.  Matching the curve of the sides of the fender was challenging but after that it kind of just fell into place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo362

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo363

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo364

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo365

Setting the top attachment point to the hole in the fender.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo366

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo367

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo368

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo373

And finally the middle portion starts developing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo369

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo370

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo374

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo371

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo372

Hopefully I'll be able to post more soon but right now we're getting a freak thunder, hail and lightning storm so I'm gonna shut down, just in case. Then I'm going to go watch it from my patio, lol.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by GaryDainton Fri 27 May 2016, 11:44 am

Ill have a look at the faux paint effects when i next do a heres with molded sale, reins etc. Thanks for that info Curt and Kats.
Superb metalwork Kats it really makes everything 'pop' and creates a superb steampunk effect.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016, 5:44 pm

Brilliant, loving following along on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 May 2016, 5:30 am

Gaz, Curt & Zbuckster - Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3887228019

Sneaking in a quick post.  By now it's obvious that I won't be making the '2nd Birthday' deadline for reposting but I'll still take photos of the Big Test Fit for later display.  This one deals with the saddle, starting with the base for the springs.  I had considered omitting the saddle springs as there were front and rear shocks but Victorian era roads, and shock technology, were not as smooth as modern standards so I went with them.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo375

First try on the springs, which I didn't like, so ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo376

Another try and I like the look. The saddle spring bases start as simple rings.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo377

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo378

Setting the location of the spring bases on the saddle underside.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo379

Adding clamp bands to the frame portion of the spring bases.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo380

Though the underside won't be easily visible you'll still be able to see parts of it from a lower vantage point so I decided to add detail in the form of 'reinforcement ridges.'
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo381

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo387

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo382

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo383

Further detailing on the clamp bands.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo384

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo385

The first stage of the underside detailing is wrapped up.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo388

Test fit with the entire saddle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo386

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Sat 28 May 2016, 5:57 am

I've caught up on the WIP and I must say you are doing some fantastic work on this Kats. The time you're devoting to the detailing is really making this pretty outstanding. Keep up the good work!
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sat 28 May 2016, 8:55 am

Brilliant work Kats, I think the spring choice makes a huge difference to the effect.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 May 2016, 5:46 pm

Denis & Gaz - Thanks for the very kind words and encouragement! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3887228019

This posting deals with the middle piece for the rear fender.  Having made the basic shape I started by filling it in with some scrollwork.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo389

Next I made side 'panels' for the space between the fender and frame.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo390

Then came the process of creating a filler for the sides.  After some thought I decided to go for a simple design of chevrons - here's the process of doing it.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo391

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo392

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo393

Then comes the bending of the straight wires to form the chevrons.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo394

Followed by clipping the chevrons to size.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo395

And setting it in - I only soldered the ends and left the chevrons free floating.  At this point I started calling these bits Anchovies for obvious reasons.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo404

Test fit - view of both sides.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo396

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo397

Now the 'connectors' to unify the fender piece with the anchovies.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo398

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo399

And here's the piece, looks like a beetle surfing on dual anchovies, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo400

Three test fit views, front and rear oblique and a side on.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo401

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo402

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo403

It's a blah day in the neighbourhood, weather wise, so I'm going to try and fight anomie with posting … and posting, lol.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 May 2016, 6:02 pm

Back to the saddle (pardon the pun) wherein I have begun adding detail in the form of clips along the 'bead' which runs along the perimeter.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo405

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo406

And what would clips be without Hex Nuts!!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo417

About this time I decided that it was time to make post for the fork attachment to the frame, the Q-Tip was getting old and mushy, lol.  Here's an example where I used the brass callipers to make hex nuts of a larger diameter than I had on hand.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo407

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo408

Posts ready.  I chose to make two for top and bottom and not one long one with an end cap.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo409

Adding brackets for the inner joins on the saddle underside for the sheer purpose of giving me a place to put more hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo410

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo411

Here is the development of the underside of the handlebars.  This is one of those buried detail things, only slightly visible when all is said and done but that slight visibility will add to the overall effect … I hope.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo412

Getting a bit stupid, or a proof of concept test.  I drilled out hex nuts in order to pass thin rod through to mimic the nut and bolt look.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo413

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo414

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo415

And after doing all that work nothing gives me more satisfaction than burying that piece in a place where it won't be seen.  Maybe I should re-phrase that ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo416

Even my cat is feeling the weather, at least I think so, it's so hard to tell ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 May 2016, 6:14 pm

Making caps for the front axle, finally.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo418

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo419

Adding detail to the top of the forks.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo420

The handlebars were something I held off on in order to think through the various options.  In the end I went for the very simple, straight and chunky type instead of something more ornate and curved.  First the posts and 'headpieces.'
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo421

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo422

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo428

Once those looked ok I drilled through the head pieces for the handlebars themselves.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo423

Test fit.  Two views.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo424

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo425

Working up the details, in this case end caps and rings.  The yellow tape is Tamiya masking tape to thicken the ends slightly as I drilled the holes a touch too big.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo426

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo427

At this point I am a year into the build, I know this because the next set of photos will be from the Steamcycle's First Birthday!  But before I get there I need to get some real life stuff in order, like coffee … and eating ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodmax Sat 28 May 2016, 6:31 pm

Absolutely amazing work, It's so cool to watch this build go from vision to form.
hotrodmax
hotrodmax
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 3:47 am

Max, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3887228019

The First Birthday!

On a whim I decided to do this last May 29th just to give myself a morale maintenance booster.  I forgot 2 angles whilst outside so the last photos are in a different setting.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo429

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo430

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo431

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo432

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo433

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo434

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo435

I figure if I can't immediately post the 2nd Birthday photos then its somewhat apropos to post the 1st Birthday shots as an in lieu of.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 4:12 am

Adding detail to the handlebars, stage one.  I was trying to work up the details in layers instead of trying to develop one part ahead of the others.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo436

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo437

And here begins the saga of the front head light.  After a lot of thought I decided to make the head and tail lights carbide lamps instead of anything involving electricity.  Pictured here is an actual glass lens, quite heavy, and the parts of the kit headlight.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo438

Glass lens taped over to protect it and the reflector from the kit headlight de-chromed.  The fact that I used a part from the original kit in this technically makes the front head light a kit bash, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo439

Cutting a slice off the reflector.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo440

Quick return to the handlebars with further development of the details.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo441

The bowl slice of the reflector stays a reflector and the bit that was sliced off becomes part of the shroud for the lens.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo442

Making the body of the head light and the mounting ring for the lens.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo443

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo444

Trying to work up a ring for the front of the shroud, the part in the clip, plus the other bits in process.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo446

After several failures to form the ring out of plastic I decided to use copper wire, which worked the first time.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo447

Another shot of the revised set of parts.  You can see that the proposed 'body' piece is not even close to circular.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo448

I have no idea where I got whatever it is but it proved to be very close to the same diameter so I utilized it as a form for the next try at the head light body.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo449

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Sun 29 May 2016, 9:11 am

It's mind boggling reading and follow, you're doing so much! You never know what can come in handy to form shapes when you look around. How long did it take you just for the side "panels" with the chevrons?
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 29 May 2016, 9:40 am

Ive been waiting for the headlamp Kats, this is really going to make the whole thing 'pop'.
If I remember its a lantern style design?
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 12:53 pm

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3298140763 More great stuff Kat, wow.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 5:00 pm

Denis, Gaz & Curt - Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3887228019

Denis - The chevrons, if I recall correctly, took several hours over a couple of days.  I overheated a couple of the 'ribs' so I had to cut new ones but luckily I didn't wreck the spine of them so I didn't have to do a complete re-start.

Gaz - Yuppers, these are indeed the carbide lamps.  And though I jokingly noted that the head light is technically a kit bash this is where the serious scratch building starts to ramp up.

This post starts with the lens cover, or grille, for the head light.  I wanted a grille rather than a mesh after looking at several images from early 20th century vehicles.  To do this I drilled seat holes in the mounting ring for the lens itself then formed the curve of the wires for the grille on the lens itself.  This is where having the glass lens proved to be a great asset.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo450

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo451

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo452

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo453

After much tweaking and adjusting I wound up with this - a lens-less photo to compare against the lensed one.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo454

A comparison of the first and second tries at forming the headlight body.  This is where I determined that 'larger' scratch built rings and such are best formed on a solid template rather than just winging it.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo455

Adding detail to the clamps on the handlebars using hex nuts *cue spooky theremin sound effects*
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo456

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo457

Parts and parts - the lens, the lens shroud with the grille test fit, the head light body and that last, thin ring is for the back of the shroud to seat against the body.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo458

A side view of the shroud to show the curvature of the grille.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo459

The topside of the handlebar mount comes into focus, the bottom half has yet to be affixed and is included for comparison.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo460

Adding detail to the top of the crossmember int he form of a wire 'bead' along the perimeter.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo461

Test fit of the handlebars to check for fit, look, angle and all that stuff.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo462

Some little tiny hex nuts and 'washers' or bases in process.  I forget exactly where these are going at the moment.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo463

The shroud with the body seat ring affixed.  This is so that I can hinge the shroud in order for it to open and close like a door.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo464
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 29 May 2016, 5:09 pm

DO NOT SNEEZE!!! Id loose those hex nuts in about ten seconds Kats LOL.
More brilliant work, I don't know about ramping up the scratch building, you haven't exactly
been playing at it up to now. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 29 May 2016, 5:23 pm

Watching this come together is fascinating !!!!

Great workmanship !!

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 5:26 pm

Gaz & Clay - Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 3887228019

Gaz - Sneezing is an occupational hazard when dealing with small parts, especially during hay fever season, lol.

A bit of a chunky post here, starting with a brake lever.  The kit original parts are visible here and at this point, because I'm incorporating the kit lever into this, the left handlebar becomes a 'technical' kit bash.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo465

The tiny little hex and washer combos wind up being detail for the headlight grille.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo466

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo467

The shroud gets an eyelid.  Also you can see the hole for the chimney vent in the body.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo469

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo470

Starting in on the chimney, a housing to sit over the whole and rings for the little venting holes on the sides.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo471

Kit lever with scratch built mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo472

The chimney vent in rough form, affixed to the body and an inside view to show the ring I placed as yet more buried detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo473

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo474

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo475

The shroud gets a hinge post/tube attached.  This I affixed with 2 part slow cure epoxy for max strength.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo476

The chimney detailed with more wire which was easier to form to these odd curves, it makes gluing a lot easier.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo477

An additional ring added to the shroud.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo478

The other part of the hinge is formed from brass wire flattened on the ends and drilled through.  This may seem very tetchy but I found it was easier than I expected.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo479

Test fit.  You can see I've already added some of that copper tape for accent.  I'd like to mention that this is Not BMF but rather actual copper foil tape, industrial stuff and not craft based.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo480

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo481

And some plastic tabs to unify the copper tape accents.  These tabs are the future home of, what else, hex nuts!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo482

I'm going to try and get a few posts in today if I can manage, please bear with me as I photo-slam this WIP ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 6:40 pm

Now we come to a part of the build where a bunch of different parts are being worked on at once.  Here is the 'water tank' for the headlight being built from two half spheres of brass I scavenged from one of those spinning pendulum clocks, the kind you usually see under glass.  I like the look of the initial solder, kind of like some alien planet.  Then some filing and sanding.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo499

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo500

I said I was adding hex nuts to the hinge part of the headlight body and I meant it ... lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo501

The brake level mount with hex nuts, because you can never have too many hex nuts ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo502

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo503

The closure clip for the head light shroud takes shape.  At first I was hoping to make this a working clip but the process of soldering the clip to the wire which seats into the shroud softened the metal enough that it is a static part.  This means to open and close the shroud I have to remove the hinge pin.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo504

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo505

Tabs and hex nuts added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo506

The water tank in blackening solution, the black ring is the eventual mount for the headlight body to join the water tank and the grey bit is the reaction chamber which will sit under the water tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo507

The reflector half dome set into the headlight body and the join mount being shaped.  Again, matching the odd curves is a bit of a challenge and requires a lot of tweaking.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo508

Blackened water tank, reaction chamber, join mount and a copper wire ring for the mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo509

Epoxying bits together.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo511

Here's where I start carving up yellow ping pong balls to further develop the reflector for the headlight.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo510

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo512

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo513

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 7:02 pm

I see that you are going for that new fangled acetylene for lighting..

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 7:45 pm

Nigel - Yup.  Call me old fashioned but I don't trust that electrissy stuff.  It might be good for novelty toys and maybe, just maybe, it might be useful for cooking but I can't see that it has the same versatility and adaptability as acetylene.  And as for lighting, that electrissy stuff just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  Electrissy is a fad, like that contraption those Wright boys cooked up.  Give me steam, acetylene and zeppelins any day.

The brake lever mount gets affixed and, of course, details like clamp bands get added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo514

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo515

Starting on the bracket to support the brake cable.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo516

Further development on the reaction chamber, the top plate is pretty much roughed out and the black ring here will be the interface join between the chamber and the water tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo517

Adding detail to the back of the headlight body in the form of more rings set around the perimeter.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo518

The reaction chamber bits and some more rings.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo519

The brake cable support bracket takes form.  The brake cable is going to be a guitar string - the look suits the build and metal guitar strings are shapeable.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo520

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo521

The shroud with added details and the grille has been affixed in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo522

Affixing the brake cable support using a bit of wire to insure proper alignment.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo523

Headlight parts starting to develop personality and purpose in their design.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo524

Adding clamp bands to the brake cable support.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo525

The mount zone between the water tank and head light body gets affixed, again with 2 part epoxy.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo527
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 7:57 pm

And because nothing confuses the issue better than starting something else before the previous parts are complete here's the beginning of the tail light, starting with a mounting ring formed around another glass lens.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo529

The shroud as cut from a ping pong ball with an inner ring to frame the lens.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo530

Setting the lens mount ring into place on the back of the shroud.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo531

How it looks from the front.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo532

Back to the head light - my original idea of using a bit of black ring for the interface between water tank and reaction chamber was tossed aside and I started forming rings of a different diameter from styrene strips to serve that purpose.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo533

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo534

The head light body gets more detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo535

Figuring out how it all fits together
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo537

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo538

The brake cable support needed some more detail, surprise, so some angle supports come into the picture.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo540

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo539

The reaction chamber starts to look its part.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo542

The tail light shroud gets a ring for accent.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo541
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 29 May 2016, 8:10 pm

Developing a return spring set up for the brake lever, coiled wire for spring and little rings for the mount points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo543

The development of the top of the water tank and post that will connect the bits together.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo544

The evolution of ideas is shown here.  First I set in the rings, then fabricated some 'U' ends for the spring, then decided I did not like the way it looked so I removed the original rings with the intent of making plastic tabs as mount points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo545

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo546

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo547

Added detail for the top part of the water tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo548

The brake lever spring blackened, plastic tabs added and things look more the way I wanted.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo549

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 3 Hd_mo550

And on and on and on ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next