Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by disabled modeler Sun 19 May 2019, 12:47 pm

WOW...! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 2056302049

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by RetiredMike Mon 20 May 2019, 4:20 pm

Outstanding work, sir!
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 26 May 2019, 5:35 pm

Many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, gentlemen  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 3887228019

Well, it is pretty much the 5th Anniversary of this concept - though I did not actually start in on the 'build' until May 29, 2014 some Facebook Memories have reminded me that I was percolating some sort of insane, involved and incredibly troublesome ideas the week before.

As it turns out the Great Big Test Fit thing will not be happening for this anniversary due to the fact that the Final Assembly demands a different approach so I will try to post up a round of 'show off' photos later though the steam cycle will not be complete.

Got the secondary drive belt on without too much grief. The leather kind of bows upwards off the sprockets but a bit of double sided (ATG) tape helps to settle them in a little better.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo374

The tanks go on. Also, the majority of the plumbing is now in place. Still missing in these photos is the upper part of the front brake cable, the rear view mirror, the console and the fenders. The rear fender will have to wait a while to be emplaced as I need to complete the tail lamp and mount it before affixing the fender to the frame.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo375
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo376

Lamp bits with base coats. The two reflector dishes got Alclad pale gold, the front lamp got Vallejo brass and the rear lamp got Vallejo steel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo377

After a coat of clear matte (clear gloss on the reflectors) the initial hand brush dirtying gets done. From here will be the shading and selective glossing and so on.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo378

Usually in these postscripts I babble on about plans, but life has been throwing busy at me so the only plans I have are to try to complete this thing without wrecking it. Eventually there will be need to think about the dio base and accessories but until then I will stay focused on the impending end of this extended journey.

And as a way to celebrate May 29th as the 'official' anniversary day milady and I will be dining with an old friend I haven't seen in person in over 30 years - she's been living in Glasgow for most of that time. So I might end up posting the 'brag shots' either before or after the day itself.

Good lord ... it feels weird to be this close to the finish.

Nothing exceeds like excess.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 26 May 2019, 7:48 pm

Looks absolutely amazing, ill watch out for the 'brag shots' Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2019, 10:53 pm

Absolutly OUTSTANDING Katz, this simply ROCKS! I'm really digging all the colours.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 01 Jun 2019, 12:41 am

Thank you for the years of kind comments and encouragement, everyone  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 3887228019

The Fifth Anniversary

Though all the parts are not yet assembled I decided to do the anniversary thing with what exists as is. Not included are the fenders, lamps and the rear view mirror. And it felt correct to have it sitting on the dio base, also as it exists at this time. So without further ado ...

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo379

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo380

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo381

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo382

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo383

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo384

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo385

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo386

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo387

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo388

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo389

Five years - it is kind of nuts, truly. The auto flash chose not to fire on some of the shots hence the differences in brightness and contrast. The observant will note that the alignment of the steamcycle to the kerb is in accordance with the UK way of driving. And I don't like to brag, so I won't. It's enough to state that I am feeling very good about how this is turning out.

No progress shots of the lamps yet, this has been one busy week and so I'm hoping to sneak in some work bench time this weekend.

And that means that soon I will finally be able to mark this build as complete - the dio and accessories are a different matter.

Nothing exceeds like excess.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sat 01 Jun 2019, 10:08 am

Absolutely stunning Kats, I don't want to sow any seeds of complication but have you considered LED's in the lamps, I have seen flickering ones that would simulate candles and look like a carriage lamp.
Sorry lol.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 02 Jun 2019, 1:57 pm

Outstanding!
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 02 Jun 2019, 10:15 pm

incredible.......only word i can come up with
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 09 Jun 2019, 12:34 am

A great big Thank You for years of support and encouragement during my personal odyssey  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 3887228019

Gary - actually we discussed LED's before, probably during the Voyager lighting you did. I loved the flickering light idea but the intention of the 'presentation' was that the steam cycle was parked, possibly being maintenanced. And those lamps took so long to make as it was that I didn't want to spend an additional 3 to 4 months wiring them up, lol.

And after so long it is now time for ...

The Last WIP Post!

This is a chunky one - we begin with the tail lamp parts after shading grey and some more brush dirtying.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo390

The head lamp parts at the same stage of development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo391

Tail lamp parts at the ready for assembly stage.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo392

Assembled and ready to mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo393
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo394

Mounting the tail lamp mount to the rear fender.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo395

Mounted. The only other thing is to get some semi gloss black onto the exposed plastic portions and the rear fender is ready to go on.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo396

The head lamp parts at the ready to assemble stage.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo397

And assembled.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo398
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo399

Head lamp mounted.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo400

Front fender in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo401

Rear fender in place - two views of the mostly complete assembly.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo402
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo403

Rear view mirror in place and the assembly is now complete *insert sounds of disbelief*
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 Hd_mo404

And that's it for this WIP. All that's left is the detail dirtying and staining, coverage of glue shine and stuff like that so the next set of pics will be in the complete model category, a first for me.

Overall I am very happy with how it came together at the end. Given that this was a freestyle sort of build there was never any certainty that things would work the way I hoped, even during final assembly. The sense of relief at this point is very palatable and welcome.

That and the passionate conviction that I will never ever take on such a long and involved project in the future  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 1792231099

Thanks again for the steady support and encouragement.

The End
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 09 Jun 2019, 7:06 pm

Simply stunning Kats, a triumphant build of epic proportion. I cant wit to see the completed model on the base, you should be incredibly proud of this piece my friend.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2019, 12:43 am

Simply stunning, an extraordinary achievement Katz!

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Wed 12 Jun 2019, 2:49 pm

Congratulations on an epic build. An odyssey of fantastic detailing. The front headlamp is superb.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kpnuts Wed 12 Jun 2019, 9:10 pm

Incredible work my friend Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 25 2337884168

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Thu 15 Aug 2019, 4:22 pm

i so appreciate you sharing this with all of us. So many times i have seen others start ambitious projects like this never to see them completed. It was an amazing journey and the end result does not disappoint. Bravo to you Kats and your awesome steam punk Harley.
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25