Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Geezerman Mon 10 Jul 2017, 12:26 am

Starting to look nice n' busy !
Once again, awesome project !! Thanks for sharing !
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Skid Mon 10 Jul 2017, 12:40 am

Been a while since I made comment. Lost for words again Kats so I'll just say that this build is insane so I think you must be certifiable!!!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 10 Jul 2017, 9:13 am

I wonder, have you considered a good quality sculpting material such as magi-sculp for the filling and curve formation Kats? They set quite hard and are easily formed when soft and sanded to shape when wet. Im sure you have but I think of this when I see you working on areas that a 'bodyshop' would use a two part filler.

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/CastingMaterials/magicsculp0001.htm
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 19 Jul 2017, 4:26 am

Thank you for the kind comments and encouragement, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

Gary - I have considered sculpting and moulding parts but I have a weird sort of short circuit when it comes to scale models.  Thing is, I can and do sculpt things out of various materials, and work the results to add detail and all the things that would apply to scale model situations.  But whenever I try to 'cross genre's' so to speak I wind up being unable to make it work.  Call it a psychological cross-wiring.  If I needed to sculpt a hood ornament, for example, I'd be able to do it but trying to sculpt something like a carburetor is beyond me.  This isn't to say it will never happen, but this sort of mental quirk is what's kept me from delving into the world of 3-D printing.

Layers and layers and bits and pieces - I've cut out the front of the fuel tank now that I know where the curve of the cylinder cuts in.  The water tank starts to develop the rear bottom portion.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod22

The fuel tank cylinder forms into the gap and the water tank rear gets fill-ins.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod23

The bottom of the fuel tank with cut off's already marked.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod24

The fuel tank cylinder getting some putty, the bottom of the fuel tank with initial cut off's and the water tank getting some more layering to smooth out curves.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod25

View of the water tank in place.  Different from the kit tank but with some of the look retained.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod26

The fuel/water tank combo.  There is still a lot of funky shaping and detailing to do but it's been less of a headache than I initially expected.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod27

As far as the 'decor' for the tanks I'm thinking that the fuel/water combo tank will have plenty of stuff like rivets, transitions, braces and brackets to jazz it up.  The plain water tank presents a nice surface for PE detailing, perhaps more of the ivy vines, maybe something more involved with the tree skeletons ... but first I must finish forming the parts, lol.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 19 Jul 2017, 7:13 am

Looking great Kats, it does, of course, make sense to integrate the water tank into the bikes fuel tank.
Rather than sculpting individual whole parts I meant using the material as a filler in some areas rather than plastic-card, obviously you've got your method down to a fine art and the finish you achieve is stunning.
Very much enjoying the build. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 19 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 27 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

Thanks for looking in, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

Gary - oops, my bad for replying inaccurately.  Dunno where my brain was, lol, blame it on summer.  I did consider something like that (and I've bookmarked the link you provided) but in the end I chose to go this route for parts modding - that being said, when it comes time to make stuff like bedrolls, gloves and anything else that needs a 'squishy' look it'll be time to break out the clay/putty/epoxy.  It's also possible I will have forgotten this course by the time I get to accessories so if you notice I've strayed please remind me, lol.

More and more bits of work in between 'think' sessions.  The fuel/water tank continues to be shaped.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod28

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod29

At some point the putty on the sides started to show its age, I blame it on re-exposure to air after decades of being sealed under paint. So grind it out with the Dremel and refill with styrene rod.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod30

The bottom of the fuel/water tanks gets some filling in.  Instead of trying to induce a curve into a piece of flat sheet I went with 1mm square rod pieces.  I guess I could have made it flat but something about that didn't appeal to me.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod31

The kit fill caps getting hinges.  The plan is to use these for the water tanks and make a separate fill cap for the fuel tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod32

And so on, lol.  I will say that I've been having trouble keeping the details and plans clear in my head as I'm being distracted regularly by summer stuff.  Well, stuff in general, really.  

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 27 Jul 2017, 9:20 pm

No problem at all Kats, looking superb, the finish you achieve using the styrene is amazing.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

Rockin' right along. Liking it a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 02 Aug 2017, 10:27 am

Super cool !!!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 07 Aug 2017, 2:02 am

Much thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, gentlemen  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

We've been hit by a dual smack from a mild heat wave and smoke from forest fires this past week so I've been, understandably, about as capable as overcooked pasta.  Thankfully it hasn't been as bad as 2 years ago (that one was kinda horrible) and it seems to be ebbing on both fronts.  I can't imagine how bad it is where the fires are, hopefully things will be dealt with soon for the sake of those affected.

Well, the creation of details continues a bit at a time.  The fuel/water tank 'bracket' begins, finally, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod33

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod34

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod35

While checking out the placement for the main water tank feed valve I got the inspiration to add a little bit extra in the form of a 'drop reservoir' for the valve to mount to.  Re-using a bit of the cut off from the tank and bordering it with sheet styrene cut to shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod36

Further development of the bracket and work on the fill cap for the secondary water tank begins.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod37

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod38

The main water tank extra bit gets more work and the kit fuel valve in the process of becoming the water feed valve.  The original had two valve handles, this one will be one valve handle and a feed from the combo tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod39

I'm not going to worry about working in a fuel or water reserve set up given that this is a 'period piece' and I don't know if my fictional manic tinkerer of circa. 1890 would have thought of such a thing.  I am, however, considering a smaller, additional fuel tank to imply a binary fuel system to feed the boiler which seems rather steampunk-y.  And if I decide to do this the secondary fuel tank will likely be mounted forward, maybe ahead of the crankcase but maybe not.  More on this as things evolve.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 07 Aug 2017, 8:10 am

Staggering attention to detail, keep it up Kats. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

Following this build is a real joy./

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

Always enjoy these updates !!
The array of components and detail is mind boggling !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:40 am

Many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

Thankfully both the heat and the smoke have dissipated somewhat - I find it's much easier to work on the build when one can see what they're working on, lol.

Adding 'ribbing' to the combo tank bracket thing and more work on the fill cap base.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod40

Checking the placement and alignment of the water feed valve.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod41

The valve gets detail, on the outside is the 'knob' on the inside is the feed from the secondary water tank and out the bottom is the feed to the condenser.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod42

Rivets added to the fuel tank side of the bracket.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod43

And hex bolt-heads for the water tank side.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod44

The main water tank embellishment begins.  I'm using 'tree skeleton' PE and CA with no real plan.  Hopefully it will look ok, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod45

And so on.   Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1792231099

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 14 Aug 2017, 8:14 am

Very tidy Kats, the PE looks great.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:53 am

Still drooling and looking for more !!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Fri 25 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

I hadn't checked-in in a while. Nice to see some primer on. I'm looking forward to seeing your paint job on this
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 27 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

Muchas Gracias for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

Bit of a gap in posting due to the fact that the sun was going to go out in these parts last week.  As I live in one of the good viewing zones I spent some time making a camera obscura, or pinhole camera, out of a meter long cardboard box as I did not have a welder's mask handy. I managed to see most of the show (at work) and when it came time for the Maximum Obscuration I was surrounded by many others with their cardboard boxes.  In Vancouver we had 86% coverage and it looked very cool ... but I didn't take any pictures, lol.

So, the main water tank gets its coating of 'viny' PE.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod46

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod47

At this point I'm going to call it enough and now I have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the excess CA with X-Acto blade scraping and pinpoint sanding.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod48

The front bracket of the combo tanks starts developing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod49

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod50

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod51

Work on the underside of the combo tank.  Though most of this will not be easily visible I'm still adding detail just for the little bit of it that you will be able to see.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod52

And filling in a bit on the inner side of the tank.  Also mostly obscured but just for the little bit of it that will be seen.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod53

The adding of the hex nuts and rivet heads.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod54

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod55

I feel like I'm cresting a rise (I might have said this before) but even so there is a lot of little stuff still to come in the way of water and fuel lines and pumps, as well as the hypothetical secondary fuel tank and then the control stuff like valves and levers and linkages - especially as far as the shifter for the transmission goes.  But active and maniacal painting keeps looming ... after so long just working on parts it feels like I'm going to have to re-learn soooo much in the paint department ...

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 27 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

Looking fantastic Kats. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Mon 28 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

Very wild and very cool.....nice work Kats...! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 28 Aug 2017, 2:40 pm

Sweet stuff as usual.
Guess what I came across the other day ! Don't know what all that stuff is, but it was captioned, 'steam powered bike'

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Steam_10

Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 28 Aug 2017, 5:22 pm

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 1705482731 Brilliant Clay, did it actually move under its own steam?
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 05 Sep 2017, 12:12 am

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 3887228019

Clay - thanks for sharing that totally cool looking ride!  There is a lot of inspiration and reference (read: ideas for me to purloin) all over the place, like storing a wrench on a convenient brace. And that front fork assembly is just sick.

So, in the name of adding as much detail as possible I figured that I could embellish the water fill caps.  I used two different centres from the INJ PE to distinguish between them and then added individual ivy leaves as spokes.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod56

The start of the modding of the instrument panel shroud.  To accommodate the combo tank requires cutting and rebuilding and shaping, which means it will look pretty ugly until its done, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod57

The front mounts for the tanks take shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod58

Further along and details have been added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod59

Another modification to the frame for the mount points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod60

Further work on the shroud.  At this point I've added a post (not visible) as the first of the frame mounts.  This bit is going to get complicated because I plan to cut away the existing panel face so I am working out how to fix the mounting posts so they don't attach to the current one.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 14 Hd_mod61

And on and on and on, lol.  

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:43 am

The filler cap detail is great, the instrument panel design is spot on for me Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next