Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 06 Sep 2016, 1:55 am

Mark, Gary, Al, Buck & Clay - Much thanks for your kind comments and support  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3887228019

Well it's been a slow photo week meaning that I've been doing stuff but not the kind of stuff that makes for great visuals.  But here's a few photos ...

Cover plate modded some more.  Right now these are baby steps in order to help solidify the underlying skeleton of the CVT more than anything.  I'm starting to develop an idea of where I want to go with this ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod13

Added side covers to the extension of the CVT.  These are just leftover circles from the discs I was cutting before, cut in half and shaped to fit before being affixed in place.  I also had to trim off a bit on each side of the added curve.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod10

I asked myself why I chose to keep the one bit of kit detail, namely the fluid drain stopcock, and could not remember.  Therefore, to facilitate ease of modding, I removed it as carefully as I could for further use.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod12

A rough look at the placement and alignment.  The CVT will be sitting higher and this will necessitate the modding of the central seat post, I'm thinking of making it curved or eliminating it altogether.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod11

And as thoughts have continued percolating there's the issue of the feed pump system which can be horrifically complex from what I've seen in my online research.  So following suit with other complex parts I'm going to encase it thus eliminating the need to make the thing to begin with, lol.  The drive belt to power the pump will be located on the other side of the CVT running off the primary drive shaft.  This makes the most sense to me because if the cycle is idling in neutral the motor will still be running so the pump will still be required.  I can kind of visualize it, hopefully soon I will be able to illustrate what I'm talking about by building it.  And there will need to be lots of plumbing so any detail I sacrifice by shrouding it will be compensated for with all the feed tubes ... I hope, lol.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 3:45 am

Kats: This whole project continues to amaze me. Your work is absolute exquisite! This is unquestionably museum quality. I bow to your proven talent. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 2056302049

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 06 Sep 2016, 9:04 am

Has the hole left by the fluid drain plug been sealed or is it hidden when in place Kats?
More great work, a pleasure to watch.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 06 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

" thoughts have continued percolating "

I know the problem, I get into that situation often.
Loving following this build !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:32 am

John, Gary & Clay - Thanks for your kind comments and support  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3887228019

Gary - I ended up covering it with a 'plate' of sheet styrene to level the bottom of the CVT.  I'll get into more detail later (which is to say I'll add more detail once I've figured out where it needs to go, lol).

So the issue with the seat post comes up.  After some thought I have decided to reshape it which means cutting it out, performing said re-shaping and modifying the mounts at top and bottom.  Here's a shot of the seat post followed by the view after it was removed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod15

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod18

During the process of cutting away the bottom mount plate for the seat post the rearmost frame cross member popped free.  Upon examination I recalled that it was a tad narrow (an original kit flaw) and I had compensated for it years ago by filling in the gap with CA which had gone brittle after a decade or more.  So I decided to make a new one of the proper width.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod17

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod16

The saga of the seat post began with cutting it free, then realizing that it once had a 'working suspension' system for the original saddle.  So I split the tube into its component parts, removed the inner details (piston and spring and such) and filled it with styrene rod.  After the glue dried I set about shaping it with steam to start, but because this was a tube 'laminated' onto an inner core that proved to be problematic so I bit the bullet and hit it with good old fashioned fire.  This was when the flaws in the plastic really became apparent as voids and casting bubbles spewed forth, resulting in the chewed Bic pen look of the roughly bent piece.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod14

The cleaning up of the seat post - first step was to do a rough smoothing to give me an idea of the fill-in zones followed by filling in with bits of styrene.  Let the glue dry then do some rough shaping then go back and fill in the stuff missed the first time through and repeat until satisfied.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod21

And then putty for the smoothing.  The white rectangle is the blank for the bottom post mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod19

And a shot of the situation with the frame.  The bottom post mount blank is now roughly sized.  Also, I've added some of those dreaded hex nuts to the primary drive wheel/cogs.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod20

So basically I need to get the seat post in place in order to be able to figure out how I'm going to mount the CVT and once I have that roughed out the CVT itself can have added detail like access plates and such.  The nature of a CVT of this type is to not have a fluid lubricant reservoir so I won't be needing a drain spout/spigot.  But I need to exercise patience here as there will be other stuff involved and going too fast on detailing the CVT might result in a cross-part conflict later.

Just keep swimming ...

Last edited by KatsZenJammer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:51 am

Simply jaw-dropping inventiveness!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:22 am

Ah, here it is! I became a big fan of this bike on Escale. I learn a lot by studying your techniques of sculpting and combining styrene and all the other materials AND I really like all the fancy trim.
Ace
Ace

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:40 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 13 Sep 2016, 10:29 am

Wonderful stuff as per usual Kats.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

I too, have learned to avoid using direct flame when modifying stuff !
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 4039365958

This is the coolest detailed build !!
Enjoying it !
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2016, 4:22 am

Just catching up with this Kats, superb stuff. Cracking good!

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sun 18 Sep 2016, 1:18 pm

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 2056302049 ...WOW..!....NICE work.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

Awesomeness at it's apex. Great job on this build.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:58 am

Harron, Ace, Gary, Al, Clay, Curt, Mark & Buck - Thank you very, very much for the very kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3887228019

A bit of a gap in posting due to the usual stuff, busy times and all that, but bits of stuff got accomplished here and there.

Cutting out little braces for the final drive wheel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod22

And in place.  Next comes gap filling with tiny dabs of CA, some minor levelling, putty and sanding.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod23

The modified seat post test fit and a rough check of how the tranny will sit.  Alignment and height and all that are still TBD but within a small range which makes it easier.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod33

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod27

Working up the cover plate for the tranny.  Instead of trying to create a whole new one I chose to chop up the perimeter of the kit one and use it to fill out the curves.  To make things easier the shape of the tranny was traced onto a thin styrene sheet.  Then the gaps were filled in with square rod and the odd bit of strip.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod28

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod32

After the first part set up enough to file/putty the inner part of the sheet was cut away.  The next piece is a simple step down of the outline of the first piece.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod25

The seat post affixed in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod26

The cover plate after some slight shaping.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod30

Adding some hex nuts *gasp!* to the final drive tranny wheel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod31

The cover plate after drilling, test fit.  There's still more detail I want to add to the cover plate before I affix it to the tranny body.  And the start of the 'shifting' mechanism for the tranny.  I'd thought about Frankensteining the kit part but this way seemed easier.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod29

The next aspect will involve the mounting assembly for the tranny, which has been waiting for the seat post mods in order to work out the placement.  But this will be happening alongside the further detailing of the tranny, part of the process to insure the parts fit properly.  Egads ...

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:12 am

The braces add a lovely finishing touch to the drive wheel, and the transmission detailing is superb. The time spent and attention to detail shine through on every part Kats. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Its a pleasure to watch this coming together.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:20 am

This is simply outstanding work. To be able to come up with these ideas and then scratch build them to a very high standard is amazing. I am in awe of your efforts.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:39 am

Mr Hirakawa wrote:This is simply outstanding work. To be able to come up with these ideas and then scratch build them to a very high standard is amazing. I am in awe of your efforts.

That pretty much sums it up for me also !!
I am so enjoying your work !!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:45 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Z Superb as usual Kat's.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:45 am

Gary, Mr. H., Clay and Al - Thank you for your very kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3887228019

Well, got some stuff done but not a lot of photos - the usual reasons of lack of relevance and excitement.  But here we begin with more work on the shift mechanism housing, adding sides to the half tube mostly.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod34

After some more work the tube has a bit of extra form detail added and the edge of the plate has been made flush with the CVT body.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod35

On the other side of the CVT I cut out rings which will be affixed to the cover plate once I align the shafts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod36

The black dots are rough placements for holes which will have inset hex nuts, though I already adjusted the placement since I took this photo.  And you can see the scribing in of the 'seam' for the cover plate on that side of the CVT.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod37

And while all that was going on I also made up nut and bolt combo's for the final drive cog/wheel.  I actually tried to use a small metal nut as a die to scribe in threads on the bolt ends but couldn't find one of the correct diameter.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod38

I wish I could report more progress but because it was the Thanksgiving holiday weekend in Canada I wound up spending the majority of my free time either preparing or consuming all manner of edibles that I would normally not trouble with.  It is great to have a 'valid' excuse to over indulge, I must say, but it plays havoc with my ability to do detail work ... or pay attention to the world around me  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3331969777
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 11 Oct 2016, 11:09 am

Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:23 am

Superb as usual Kats.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2016, 1:59 am

More great work Kats, can't wait to see this all painted up.

May I make an observation and a suggestion on some past photos and work? I am not one to ever suggest or make suggestions without request. How ever your work is so exquisite and detailed, I fear that if I do not make an educated comment/suggestion I am not being fair to you or your awesome creative skills.  I fear my silence of this observation may be a detriment to your finished project.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

Way to put everyone in suspense Curt Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

Don't do it Kat's.......... he want's you to start again!!!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 1792231099

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 26 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

Clay, Al, Curt & Gary - Thank you for your very kind comments and support, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 3887228019

Curt - I am deeply moved by your compliments and respect, thank you once again.  As for comments, suggestions, criticism and everything else I have no issues with any input from anyone ... unless you want me to start over again that is  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 1792231099   

One thing I should make clear (or perhaps reiterate, I can't recall if I've said this before) is that this ridiculously complicated project is a first time thing for me.  When I got back into scale modelling it was a first time attempt to rebuild a tall ship even though I had never built one from a kit - after I managed to complete that task I chose to start an even more complex and involved work.  There are many times when I think I've bitten off way more than I can handle, hence the random delays and slow downs throughout the process.  So any appearance of 'mastery' or 'expertise' on my part is simply the good fortune of having a plan come together.  I should note that though I sometimes post my 'fails' in the WIP more often than not those 'fails' are undocumented ... and there are a lot of fails in this process, lol.

So - if anyone has anything they'd like to offer, critical, supportive or otherwise, it is all welcome because I'm travelling an unknown road and I'm making up the map as I go along.

Speaking of delays, the gaps in my last few posts have widened a tad but I have also been getting time in here and there.  We begin this post with a view of the transmission getting added detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod40

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod43

The plate for the 'shifter' housing gets hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod39

And more detail to the other side of the tranny.  These half round bits are all for the hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod47

Notching the cover plate to accommodate the hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod42

Carefully drilling out the insets for the hex nuts on this side.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod48

Adding the hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod45

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod41

Affixing the 'rings' for the transmission shafts.  The one on the left will be a 'stub' but the one on the right will have the shaft extend through to provide power for the recirculating water pump.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod44

Coming back to the frame - here's the beginnings of the clamps for the seat post crossmember.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod49

The start of the front mount point for the transmission - bare bones basics, there's a lot of work to be done here yet.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod50

Adding tabs to the crossmember clamps.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 8 Hd_mod46

I've reached the point where I have to build the mounts for the tranny and set it up to be in the proper place before I can continue.  The height within the frame isn't a huge issue, but the side to side alignment is more tricky due to the fixed nature of the final drive cog/wheel on the rear tire.  Once I have that 'locked down' then I have to work out the alignment of the primary drive cog and build a stabilizer for the primary cog on the transmission.

And then once I have the tranny in place and aligned I can begin working out the recirculating water pump and the shifting mechanism details.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next