Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 31 May 2016, 11:50 pm

Someone, I think it was Gaz, asked me if I sketched out any plans of the parts for this build. So I took these photos of some of my planning sketches.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo783

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo785

And I also decided that I needed to break out the AB so I primed a bunch of parts that hadn't been primed yet.  Interestingly, some of the parts here are also in the second sketch photo - you can compare how much divergence there is between my thoughts/plans and the end results.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo786

The eccentric wheel gets more detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo789

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo792

Developing the mounting plates for the cylinder valve housing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo787

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo784

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo788

Adding detail to the connecting rod housing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo793

It was finally time to remove the extraneous frame bits that I'd left on up to now.  Because I had no idea where I was going with the steam engine I figured better to leave the kit moulded stuff until I was sure of what I wanted.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo791

Starting the additional detailing of the new frame crossmember.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo790

Adding another frame crossmember for the crankcase/engine mount site.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo794

More unexpected inspiration had me cut away the middle of the leftover engine mount piece.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo795

I sense something approaching ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 01 Jun 2016, 12:01 am

THE LAST OF THE eSCALE POSTS!!!

The cylinder with some added detail and a scale comparison.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo796

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo803

The cylinder valve housing develops and the connecting rod housing get added details (hex nuts anyone?).
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo797

Making a top cap for the cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo805

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo802

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo806

Valve housing in process with placement holes drilled.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo798

Detailing the crossmember.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo800

Adding clamp bands to the front engine mount posts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo799

More detailing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo801

And the plate for the engine mount and rear posts arrive on the scene.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo804

And it's with a hearty WOO HOO that I can close the eScale archive folder and now all I have to do is Photoshop the work photos I've taken in the interim.  Damn this feels good ... and again I apologize for making everyone do so much scrolling.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:50 am

Herein beginneth the continuation of the saga after the demise of eScale (R.I.P.).

The rear posts for the crankcase/engine mount plate get worked on.  First was carving out the curve then bevelling the corners.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo807

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo810

The idea was that the support posts would be clamped onto the crossmember instead of being welded or inset.  The hinges are rod with lines cut into it to simulate the hinge sections.  The little wedges are fill ins to connect hinge sections with their respective anchor points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo814

Time to assess.  Please note how close to the frame the flywheel sits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo812

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo813

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo811

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo808

To raise the flywheel just a bit I added a layer of thickness to the crankcase support base.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo809

Another assessment and personal approval, I can live with that gap.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo815

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo816

Anchor pegs in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo817
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 01 Jun 2016, 2:04 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 406056409
This build began on May 29, 2014, so it's two now.  A bit belated but I managed to flood the thread with photos in order to get here and keep things in sequence.  There is an actual, pragmatic, logical reason for these big test fits but I like doing them for morale boosting.  Let's hope it doesn't develop a 'terrible two's' phase.  Hope you enjoy.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo826

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo831

I left out the head and tail light lenses because they're both glass ones and as a consequence they're too heavy for test fits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo830

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo832

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo833

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo834

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo827

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo828

There's a little bit of green masking tape in front of the handlebar posts.  That was to secure the headlight mount so it didn't just fall off.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo829

For those who noticed the front forks haven't been primed yet, that's because I have some more plans for them, decoration wise.

And from here on my posts will revert to their usual weekly occurrence. Thanks for putting up with this barrage, I promise I won't do it again Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 01 Jun 2016, 8:31 am

Yes I asked if you sketched your ideas and enjoyed seeing them come to life on paper.
Been a pleasure to see it all again Kats, the lamps look stunning in primer and now the engine is coming together its really 'filling out'.
I look forward to future posts and progress. Thanks for an inspiration and educational build.

G
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 02 Jun 2016, 8:56 am

It looks like you are past the escale stage and up to date now Kats.

This is simply and amazing build.

I like your alternative use for the callipers!! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:14 am

Holy Crap !! I have to stop and comment on the phenomenal detailing !! Just to realize what all parts those lights can have is just mind boggling !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 50283314
Now, to go back and watch the engine construction !
What a trip !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:48 am

Lesson well learned ! Don't miss any updates !! My breakfast and morning coffee got stone a$$ cold while I was absorbing all of this. JUST FANTASTIC !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

Fantastic work,so just wondering what will be in the place of the fuel (gas ) tank - a water tank?
The water capacity would need to be quite large... Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1302946665

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 3:18 pm

Thanks for taking the time to put all the WIP on Skid's KATS.

Looking forward to "the rest of the story"
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 05 Jun 2016, 10:50 pm

Gaz, Curt, Al, Clay, Nigel & Mitch - Thanks for the very kind words and encouragement guys!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019

Nigel - That thought has been hanging around my cranium since the start of this becoming an actual steam powered cycle.  The boiler was going to either fuel oil or alcohol burning as well.  The plan was an asymmetrical large water tank and smaller 'fuel' tank located roughly where the original gas tanks were - still mulling over that part.  

The water requirements can be mitigated by a recirculating system with condensers and a pump to recover much of the exhaust.  This sounds a lot more complex than it is - after viewing much stuff on the Net some of these systems look like 'home garage' add-ons even though they were manufactured that way.  And of course I will be simplifying my tasks by hiding all the working detail under housings where possible.  I do want to have the condenser exposed though, simple coiled tubing lends a sort of 'moonshiner's still' feeling to it, hee hee.

The cylinder gets some hex nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo835

Test fit.  The 'top cap' of the cylinder is in place now as is the eccentric rod.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo841

Details, details ... crossbar seat rings in this case.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo836

Putty work to develop the hinges.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo838

The steambox portion of the housing starts to take form.  The base of the housing will be set onto the cylinder wall in such a way as to make it seem part of the casting, with scribed in seams added to give the rest of it that bolted on look.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo837

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo842

For this part I chose to use 2 sided tape to attach the square rods portions together then used MEK on the outside plate.  This will allow me to form the piece to 'mate' as exactly as possible but I can also remove the outer piece for detailing.  Holes will be drilled for alignment, of course.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo840

Test fit.  How this works is that the valves are actuated by the rod which connects on a hinge to the valve connecting rod.  On the outside of the assembly is the steam box which is where the steam is fed from the boiler.  There will be more depth added to the steam box to make room for steam feed and exhaust couplings.  As well the cylinder will definitely be braced to the frame in some way so there will be some form of detail to accommodate that being added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mo839

And the increments keep adding up slowly but surely.  I hadn't really thought through any specifics for this portion of the build, just general ideas.  Applying them step by step is helping me form a clearer idea of the direction which will be taken.  And of course most of what I'm ending up with doesn't really resemble the initial thought ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:53 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1705482731 good stuff Kats!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2016, 2:04 am

Kats: What with all the chaos around my house for the past month today is the first chance I've had to really look at this project. I have to fall back on my great grandaughter's favorite description of something that really impresses her
------- AMAZING!!!!!!!

You really need to consider making the trip to Salt Lake City next April for GSL. I honestly think we could be looking at a Best of Class or even Best of Show here. The only suggestion I can make is you might want to consider some hex nuts. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:17 am

Kats, Brilliant work. This is making a very convincing 'steampunk' engine.
When the inlet and outlet are added together with your usual fantastic detailing
its going to be extremely impressive.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:03 pm

We're looking at "museum quality" or Hollywood film studio quality work. It is weird, certainly, and like good art, stunning. Thank you for sharing your creative process!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

harron68 wrote:We're looking at "museum quality" or Hollywood film studio quality work.  It is weird, certainly, and like good art, stunning.  Thank you for sharing your creative process!

Xs 2....real work of art...!.... Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1705482731

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:32 am

When one wonders how this can possibly get much better, each installment makes that happen !! Great work !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:47 pm

Thank your lucky stars you live in tolerant Canada. Other places these postings could be used as evidence for your committal. As it stands, we'll miss you if and when Hollywood hires you away.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2016, 7:05 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 524092055 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 12 Jun 2016, 6:31 pm

Curt, John, Gary, Harron, Mark, Clay & Buck - There needs to be an emoji for blushing with embarrassment, your very kind comments and encouragement is deeply appreciated.  Thank you guys!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019

Been a busy week both at work and on the home front (Milady's choir group has a concert this weekend, today in fact) so my time in the workshop has been somewhat curtailed.  However, I did manage to do a little work so I thought I'd post what I have.  After the 'Two Years in less than two weeks' blitz I recently inflicted on the forum this might seem a bit sparse but it's a shift back to a more 'normal' posting rhythm for me.

I've been incorrectly calling this part a steam box when in fact it seems to be called a steam chest.  Also, my initial add ons to it seemed a bit shallow so in the second photo you'll notice some of the bits have been changed.  Regardless, here it is with a bit more body added to it.  This is just the first step, there will be much shaping to come, followed by the inevitable details.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mod10

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mod11

A test fit and I am satisfied with the size of the steam chest.  In fact I am deeply gratified that this portion of the build is coming together the way it is, I was expecting a lot more adjusting and rethinking.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mod12

It's been a while since I worked on the crankcase.  Here it is with the connecting rod housing affixed and the start of the 'bolt downs' on the sides.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 Hd_mod13

I have a feeling this is one of those build portions where I slow things down a tad in order to keep the little detailing tasks in order.  I've also been grabbing images of old pressure gauge dials from the Net in order to Photoshop them for future use.  And I've been mentally working out things like the proportionate size of the boiler and the arrangement of all the other stuff.  And as John suggested there will be more Hex Nuts ...  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 1792231099
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 12 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

Wow Kats!

I rarely looked in the Bike section on escale, but my eyes are peeled on this one.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2016, 10:38 pm

This is a show winner and it's not even done. Excellent scratch building technic. A joy to read and follow along.Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 5 3887228019

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 12 Jun 2016, 11:07 pm

Damn you Kat's, I've told you before, I don't have any more superlatives.

This is the finest scratch building I have ever seen!!!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2016, 12:59 am

Looking killer Kats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next