Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by GaryDainton Mon 23 May 2016, 8:51 am

That looks amazing now Kats, can't wait to see what it looks like when painted!
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by disabled modeler Mon 23 May 2016, 12:32 pm

Awesome as usual Kats....very very cool..!

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 23 May 2016, 12:54 pm

I ride, but yet have to build a bike model. With that said, I really dig 'steampunk', and,so, will be watching intently.
This work so far is mega impressive !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 5:10 pm

Gary, Mark & Clay - Thank you for your very kind words and support Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 3887228019

Concerning the mounting of the front fender to the forks, in this case the secondary forks so that the fender will 'float' with it instead of being static on the main forks.  We start with 'rings' placed on the forks in the correct spots followed by inner flat plates added.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo225

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo226

Thinking about the rear fender and the rear shocks.  To start I 'dry fit' the parts as is to see how things are sitting. (And, yes, those are more Q-Tips being used, lol)
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo227

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo228

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo229

Some paint and chrome removal.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo234

The fender braces get filled in.  These were hollow cast kit pieces which I wanted to beef up in case they actually needed to be more structurally supportive.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo230

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo235

Quick shot of the brake calliper and disc after initial brush primer-ing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo231

Shaping and modding to the rear fender.  The original look and profile was never an option so here begins the process of cutting away the sides on the path to what I felt was the correct look.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo236

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo232

Filling in the little divot which was once the mount point for the rear tail light.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo233

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 5:20 pm

The rear fender after initial shaping.  That white line along the curve is a fill in of a moulded ridge which I didn't want to lost entirely, just smooth over.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo237

We return to the front fender, in this case the mounting posts/brackets or whatever you'd call these things.  Making them out of brass wire which requires a bit of fiddly torch soldering.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo238

And repeated test fits and alignment adjustments.  This took some time and frustration, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo239

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo240

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo241

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo242

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo247

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo243

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo244

The end product.  At first I thought the wire might have seemed a bit thin in scale but after a review of vehicles from the 1890 - 1910 era I realized that stuff like this was commonplace in terms of seemingly being undersized.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo248

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo245

An overview shot of the simultaneous parts aspect of this build.  You can see the beginnings of the mods to the rear shocks.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo246

On and on and on and on …
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 6:09 pm

According to the dates on these photos we've now reached November 2014 or so.  Work on the rear shocks starts in earnest here.  Rather than the original Harley style with the shocks encased in housings I wanted them more exposed and so that meant basically rebuilding them.  This is still a kit bash, though, as kit parts are incorporated into these.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo249

Thickening the top cap mounts using the strip styrene method I detailed earlier for some other part.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo250

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo261

The basics start coming together.  The top and bottom caps are from the kit shocks.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo251

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo252

At some point I figured out the static length of the shocks and made a measurement rig to ensure symmetry on both sides.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo253

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo254

Detailing of the top and bottom caps continues.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo255

An added detail for the rear shocks is hydraulic reservoirs - I have no idea if this makes sense but I saw these for modern air shocks and thought the concept looked cool.  I cut the 'pills' from thick rod and shaped the ends.  Then I started adding details.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo256

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo262

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo257

Top caps with more detail.  The added chunks are for the reservoirs to mount onto.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo258

Smaller expansion springs being developed for the 'return' tension on the reservoir.  This might seem weird but it will make sense later, I promise.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo259

Reinforcement bands being added to the bottom caps.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo260

Test fit with different versions of the springs for a comparative view.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo263
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 6:22 pm

The little pills start taking shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo264

The little expansion springs being fitted - hopefully this makes visual sense if not mechanically.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo265

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo266

Adding the little touches to increase the level of detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo267

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo268

Test fit to insure the whole looks ok.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo269

The reservoirs are more-or-less done.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo270

Adding hex nuts - in this case these are 'functional' as part of the hydraulic plumbing set up.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo271

Developing the inner posts for the shocks.  As these will be partly visible through the coils of the springs I wanted them to have the correct sort of profile.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo277

Detailing the bottom caps, more styrene strips and shaping.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo272

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo273

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo274

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo275

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo276

The mounting posts for the tops of the shocks.  The kit originally had these secured with real screws into the frame.  I chose to get away from this and redeveloped the mounts as seen.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo278

And now we're into January 2015 ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 6:36 pm

Very nice work and a real joy to follow. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 1705482731

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 9:18 pm

Zbuckster - Thanks for the kind words and support  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 3887228019

Here's the yoke with copper posts for the bottom mounts for the shocks and on the ends of the yoke is the beginning of added detail modding.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo279

Hydraulic reservoirs affixed to the shocks and test fits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo280

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo281

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo282

Adding a bit of plumbing for the reservoir - copper wire shaped then blackened with Jax.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo283

Working on the alignment adjustments for the rear axle.  I based these in the kit originals, making them slightly chunkier to reflect the whole Steampunk/Victorian era theme.  You can also see the start of the clamp bands for the bottom shock mount points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo284

The clamp band for the rear brake stabilizer in process and you can see the mount clamps further along in their development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo285

A couple of views of how I fill voids in existing pieces.  Rather than pile in a lot of putty, which can soften the plastic and take forever to cure, I drop in pieces of styrene and use small amounts of MEK.  Wait a for bait for the MEK to cure and then add more until the void is packed.  Shape and then putty. In the second photo you can see the beginnings of the clamp band for the yoke hinge points on the frame.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo286

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo293

Around this time I finally broke down and got myself an airbrush and compressor after only 30 years of putting it off, lol.  This shot is of the parts which I had already primed with a regular brush getting a recoat using Tamiya acrylic, light grey.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo287

The rear brake stabilizer.  Kit original was just a plain old strip of plastic, so I made a more appropriate looking one with copper wire and brass sheet.  The trick here is to form the 'U' bits roughly, then drill holes for the wire, then solder the sheet 'U' bits to the wire.  After that I shaped the 'U' ends and drilled through them for the mounting pins.  Doing it this way makes it far easier to work the little 'U' bits.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo288

Stabilizer mount point on the yoke being affixed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo289

Kit parts undergoing modding.  The bracket for the rear brake has been heavily worked on already, some basic shaping and cutting out of inner bits.  Calliper halves ready to be hacked, cut, sanded, etc.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo290

The frame under process, concentrating on the area around the yoke hinge points.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo291

The yoke with the axle alignment nuts and bolts mostly worked up and the rear brake stabilizer mount mostly done.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo292
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 23 May 2016, 9:23 pm

Great stuff Kats, I hated my airbrush to begin with, just couldn't get on with it but now I wouldnt be without it. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner which is brilliant.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 23 May 2016, 9:36 pm

*Edit* Gary - Thanks for looking in. I still haven't really used my airbrush as much as I should be for practice but I figure that will change given time. I've thought about an ultrasonic cleaner but have been holding off for now. My next new hobby tool is likely to be an air tank for the airbrush set up.

The rear brake bracket shaped and cleaned up a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo294

After drilling a mount hole for the stabilizer in the bracket it was time for a test fit to check on the whole alignment thing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo295

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo296

Now that I knew how it was going to sit I could get to work on the callipers themselves.  I wanted these to look similar to the front brake but not exactly the same, the 'two different parts produced by the same machine shop' kind of thing.  Those little white posts are for securing the halves together, if you look closely you can see the holes drilled through the tops of the calliper halves.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo297

I kept the covers for the calliper pistons and used them for the rear brake.  But I wanted to have cylindrical bodies visible so this meant cutting out discs of styrene to create them.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo298

Cutting and shaping, fitting, adjusting, etc.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo299

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo306

Getting there.  The 'fins' on the outside half were an impulsive idea that worked so I kept them.  Another example of things veering off the original idea but working out.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo300

Developing the callipers on the topside.  Though I had something like this planned what you see isn't exactly that but a simpler way of getting to where I wanted to go.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo301

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo302

Further work on the calliper.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo303

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo304

Did someone say, "Hex nuts?"
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo305

Test fit and a view of the progress.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo307

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 1817768433
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 24 May 2016, 8:41 am

Amazing work Kats, just amazing.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 5:03 pm

Super build, very enjoyable to follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 25 May 2016, 2:32 am

Curt, Al & Zbuckster - Thanks for the very kind words and support!

I'm starting to feel kind of bad because of all the scrolling I'm making people do when they review this thread, lol.  But I figure with the kind of backlog I'm working through it's probably better to get it all out as soon as possible in order to return to regular programming.  So we start this post with the forks, namely finally capping the posts for the hinges with, what else, hex nuts!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo308

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo309

The rear brake calliper gets added 'hydraulics.'
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo310

The front brake calliper and mounting bracket, rough primed.  The teeny little wire post for the stabilizer gets teeny little hex nuts as well.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo311

Following the theme of the front brake for detailing the rear.  And if there weren't already enough hex nuts ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo312

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo319

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo313

Shaping the rear fender.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo314

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo318

Test fit and appearance check.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo315

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo316

Close up of the rear wheel.  Here it's obvious how much the work I did on the wheel is obscured, yet it still peeks out enough to get noticed if one looks carefully.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo317
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 25 May 2016, 2:49 am

So I wound up not being all that keen on the look and decided that further mods were required.  The shaded area is the cut out.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo325

A view of the scavenged bits I cobbled together as a frame rig.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo326

A close up of the planned removal.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo333

The first rough cut done.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo328

I was much happier with this new look.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo329

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo330

The rear brake calliper gets plumbing installed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo334

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo331

And after blackening.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo332

Hopefully I will be able to sneak in a few posts throughout the week because I'd like to post photos from the Steamcycle's 2nd Birthday (May 29th) but they'd be out of sequence.  Then again, 700 photos as way to start a WIP is kind of much, lol.  And this is after culling out excess redundancy.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 25 May 2016, 5:03 am

Jamming in one more post tonight - in which the saddle evolves.  We start with the previously modified kit saddle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo335

I let the natural lines of the kit part determine the single seat shape.  I also cut corresponding segments from the underside.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo336

Cleared out the old putty and re-filled with styrene strips.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo348

Further along and you can see the underside bits have been further modded to conform to the curve of the saddle.  The shine is from gel CA that I was using instead of putty.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo337

Putting the pieces in form.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo338

The front mount point gets worked on.  The kit original was a simple 'C' clip, I wanted something more detailed because it would now be visible.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo339

The underside development with the mount bracket.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo340

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo341

A touch of detail.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo342

I imagined the saddle to be leather so here I marked out the points for dimples within which I'm going to seat rivets.  I included the Dremel bits I used in the photos.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo343

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo344

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo345

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo346

Widening the dimples a bit with a slightly larger bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo347

And that's it for tonight.  Tune in again for … more hex nuts *insert maniacal laughter*
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 4:41 pm

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 1705482731 Great stuff. Really enjoying this build.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 5:56 pm

I am really enjoying this Kats.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 25 May 2016, 7:26 pm

Really coming along now Kats, superb! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 7:58 pm

Saddle looks comfy. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 1705482731

I used to have a trike with a ''sprung'' saddle and after an hour in the seat I got off and walked like John Wayne! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 2704104872

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 26 May 2016, 8:33 pm

Just a thought Kats, have you considered a real leather covering for the seat?
Some great stuff out there for that.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodmax Fri 27 May 2016, 12:01 am

I just spent an hour studying every picture of this unbelievably detailed exorcise in scratch building. Every great once in awhile someone builds something that completely blows me away! This build has done just that! Amazing detail and wildly creative! I can't wait to see more!!
hotrodmax
hotrodmax
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016, 3:14 am

GaryDainton wrote:Just a thought Kats, have you considered a real leather covering for the seat?
Some great stuff out there for that.

Good question Gary.

Kats, I have recently seen a faux leather paint finish, it looks to be super simple. If I can find a link I will post it up here.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Fri 27 May 2016, 4:06 am

Zbuckster, Curt, Gary, Nigel & Max - Thanks for looking in and for the very (nay, extremely) kind words and encouragement!

Nigel, I know what you mean - there have been more than a few times in the past where I, too, walked like The Duke, lol.

Gary - I had considered it from seeing examples of it when doing research but I think I'm going to go the paint faux method as that gives me a bit more control over shade and also wear and age effects.  However, the saddlebags might wind up being made from some appropriate 'real' material … not sure about that.

Curt - if you could that would be great, I'm still in the data gathering mode for the paint and everything is welcome.

Max - another thanks for your extremely kind comments.  I think I can say without too much ego that some cool stuff is coming up in a bit, which is to say, a hundred photos or so, lol.

So time to try and cram in a couple of posts to work through the backlog.  Of course I wanted to decorate the rear fender with a similar type of 'iron work' but I wouldn't be able to make it a sleeve.  After thinking about it a lot I decided to go with three separate pieces which would set onto the fender using little tabs and holes.  This is the start of the forward piece, which is under the saddle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo350

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo350

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo351

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo352

Sometimes things work out the way I planned.  The rear part of the front fender had a distinct shape to the lines and in a fit of inspiration I tried to mirror that on the front part of the rear fender.  Not that stuff like this will stand out but I like trying to bury details in everywhere I can.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo353

Flourish added to again mimic the front portion.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo354

Test fit and right away I wanted more going on at the top where it seats in the hole in the fender.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo355

Basic design using curved line portions, radial symmetry and a lot of luck allowed me to pull this off on the first try.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo356

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo357

Test fit and I feel it looks much better.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo358

Test fit on frame and a segue to the saddle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo359

Drilled out the first dimple, front centre, and the little bit of brass wire which will become the rivet or tack or whatever they're called.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo360

And done.  The thickness of the plastic allowed me to clip short stubs brass wire which didn't quite reach the other side.  I then filled the inside holes with CA, some thin at first followed by thicker gap fill stuff.  This way I didn't have to worry about accidentally filling in a dimple.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 2 Hd_mo361
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next