Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Geezerman Mon 24 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

Just a big thumbs up !! I'm out of words !! Just great !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 01 May 2017, 4:39 am

Grazie Mille for the kind comments and encouragement Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Well, inspired by the detailing of the front forks I decided to similarly adorn the rear yoke though with much lower saturation.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod85

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod86

Making the underside detail for the secondary fork brace.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod87

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod88

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod89

Detail in place.  I should mention that recently I re-learned that the front forks were the first part I started working on at the beginning of all this.  It is a relief to know they're almost done, after almost 3 years, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod90

Finally getting around to the axle nut/bolt detail.  Basically I fitted some detail caps onto the nuts that came with the kit, this is the rear wheel pin by the way.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod91

Axle shaft 'bolts' added to the nuts.  The plastic axle is for the front wheel.  You can sort of make out the threading on the bolts which was cut in using a small metal nut of the proper size.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod92

Finally, because these are axle bolts, cotter pin nut restraints.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod93

The condenser!  Here's a shot of it with the end caps in place.  I also flattened the buttons in the middle in preparation for something, probably hex-nut related, to be added later.  Still not sure what it will be exactly, though.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod94

Filling in the bottom part of the cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod95

The 'receiver' further along and adding a cross-cylinder detail.  As this is the underside I'm trying to keep the perspective properly aligned which means I spend a lot of time holding the piece in front of my squinting eyes, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod96

I should mention that the pics were in a real mish mash chronologically, all of this stuff was happening at the same time.  I sorted them into respective sections to make it easier to follow ... for myself more than anything Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 2704104872

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 01 May 2017, 9:25 am

Love the pins, great work Kats. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 2337884168
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 01 May 2017, 11:55 am

What better way to start a new Monday morning than with a full mug of coffee and reviewing this post from the beginning !
I am in a state of renewed flabergastation !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731    Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731    Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731
**** editing,  I started this reply after page 1. I stopped to make a couple of pieces of toast for breakfast and refill my mug This means I'll have drank the whole pot and will have to make another so Shazz will have some when she gets up. I'll be peeing well into lunch time !
**** editing, Holy crap! I am approaching 3 hours of reading and absorbing the photographs and only getting thru page 4! Shazz is up and I just can't do this in one setting !
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 2776978727

Last edited by Geezerman on Mon 01 May 2017, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Mon 01 May 2017, 1:02 pm

Awesome work Kats....makes me think maybe you could scratch build your own 1 to 1 bike.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 13 May 2017, 9:08 pm

Muchas Gracias for the kind comments and encouragement, fellows  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Another hiatus from posting due to other projects and stuff but here we go.  This first two pics are of the 'T-splitter' being added to the receiver for the condenser.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod97

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod98

The first of the braces for the piston cylinder starts to take shape, this one will sit forward of the cylinder along the frame.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod99

And the hiatus from building in order for me to build and paint a 'Gnome Door' for the tree in front of our place gave me an opportunity to set up the painting zone and shoot some primer onto some more of the steamcycle parts.  Here's the stuff ready to be primed.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo100

And after.  It should be noted this is a 'check primer' coat, more to see the gaps I missed and the little flaws I couldn't see.  Overall I was happy with the way things turned out.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo101

Further work on the cylinder brace, trying to work in some 'flair' instead of just making it purely utilitarian.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo102

Adding support 'bands' to the condenser set up.  
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo103

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo104

The tabs to make the receiver bands look more like attached brackets.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo105

Finally a shot of the Gnome Door, just because.  The paint was almost all done with airbrush, only the initial 'primer' coat and some final dry brushing were regular brush work.  The shingles were recovered scraps of textured plastic sheet, the wood was mostly scraps except for a couple of sheets of Revell Craft Plywood (the 1/16th thickness) which was used for the door planking.  The decorations are old earrings and the doorknob is an old button.  The hinges were formed from cheap thread pullers.  All of it was given multiple layers of acrylic matte clear coat (also AB).  A nice chance to get in some time playing with the airbrush and it fulfilled milady's wish, always a good thing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Dsc07610

And so it goes, slow progress, re-thinking, proceeding, and all that fun stuff which makes scratch building that oddly comforting combination of smooth sailing and riding the tempest.  Or maybe I'm just deluding myself in order to not realize how much work I still have to do, lol.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 14 May 2017, 8:33 am

The details are really 'popping' with the primer on Kats, the parts look really good, can't be much filling or further work to tidy them up.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 14 May 2017, 10:13 am

Steampunk parts all look great !!
The gnome door looks like a fun thing to do. As is my habit of not throwing anything away, I have a whole sawbench shelf loaded with small scraps of wood. Might have to give the gnome thing a go !
Nice to get another update on the bike build.
Cheers,
Clay
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 23 May 2017, 3:57 am

Domo arigato for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Clay - the gnome/fairy door thing is catching on here and there, the Net has a lot of cool stuff that's not on Pinterest, lol.  It is definitely fun and the neighbourhood kids (of a certain age range) get a kick out of it.

The front bracket/brace for the engine cylinder develops further - test fitting before drilling holes for pins.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo106

After drilling and making the bolt heads for the brass pins.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo107

Mounting point on the cylinder body worked up.  I had to use CA instead of MEK because the black plastic of the cylinder doesn't respond to MEK.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo108

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo109

Bracket/brace in place.  Using pins makes it easily removable for painting and such.  There will also be another bracket/brace behind the cylinder as well.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo110

Options for additional detail to the condenser - the bits are all from the original kit.  I wound up using the black piece and the remnant from the transmission side cover, the pump looking thing will have to wait a while longer.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo111

After modification and shaping, I liked the look though I haven't a clue what they might represent as far as actual workings go.  At this time I'm thinking the feed to the boiler will come from the black piece.  
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo112

With the third anniversary of this build approaching next week I thought it would be nice to have the condenser mounted to the frame even if it wasn't finished.  Here's the clamp rings in place and the mounting tabs for the condenser in process.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo113

At this point I'd put on the clamp flanges and drilled the rear two mounts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo114

Mounts stuck with peel off adhesive for an alignment check.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo115

Alignment holes drilled and pieces 'tacked' into place with the tiniest amount of MEK.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo116

Much fiddling later ... yup, it took quite a bit of tiny adjustments to get it to line up because the alignment holes were just a bit off.  I also mounted the rear fender to show how small the gap is - something I had planned but I didn't think it would be so small.  Oh well, thankfully the rear fender is static.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo117

As mentioned earlier, next week is the Steamcycle Build's third birthday and per my own tradition I will be doing the Great Big Test Fit and taking pics.  I hope to get some more little detail work accomplished before that but it suddenly became summer here after a miserable not-winter (some call it spring) and so it's getting busy at home and work, lol.  

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 23 May 2017, 8:29 am

Steady progress and sublime work, very much looking forward to the test fit.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 23 May 2017, 11:45 am

Each installment is SO welcomed !
Looking forward to the anniversary photo.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 May 2017, 4:32 pm

Loving every update. Wonderful stuff.

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Empty The Steamcycle's 3rd Birthday

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 28 May 2017, 6:03 pm

Danke Schoen for the kind comments and encouragement guys!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Well, before the day I managed to get in some work on the condenser.  Here's some inset slotted hex bolt heads.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo118

And some more hex nuts, lol, including the bigger water feed receptacle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo119

Happy Third Birthday!  Actually the official start date is May 29th, 2014, but I'm working that day, lol.  We start with the top down view ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo120

Followed by the pirouette ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo121

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo122

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo123

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo124

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo125

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo126

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo127

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo128

Finally a couple of close in shots of the mechanicals - you can sort of see the little flint striker sitting by the flywheel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo129

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo130

There's still a bit of detailing to the condenser to go yet - at this point I feel like I'm cresting a rather large hill.  Oh, there's still lots of stuff to do yet, the water pump and assorted other plumbing plus linkages, belts, gears and what not.  And of course the water and fuel tanks plus all the pressure gauges, valves, exhaust and sundry bits.  

Then after that, or perhaps even during, will be the remaining accessories which will hopefully include a rifle, pistol, knife, gloves, brass goggles (de rigueur in the Steampunk realm), maybe a hat and then the tools which will include the starter for the boiler (a fireplace poker with a wad of oil soaked material tied to the end), wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, maybe some socket wrenches, hammer and anything else which catches my fancy.  Plus the 'bedrolls' or saddlebags which will be compact and affixed to various parts of the frame where I can fit them on but these will be add ons and so I won't be making them 'integral' to the cycle itself.

And that blank, bare, empty right handlebar is making me wonder about what sort of accessorizing I might pull off to make it more busy.  I've already ruled out things like a brake lever, throttle control or anything like that due to the nature of the set up.  I was going to put the flint striker there but it proved to be too big to mount properly.  Maybe a small kit bag or something - further consideration is definitely required.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's followed along this far.  Three years seems like a long time (because it is) but it's really been three years of weekends with occasional mid week work.  That and the limitations of my work space have insured that this sort of thing will take longer than I expect.  I'm hoping that by the 4th Birthday I'll have started painting in earnest though I feel it would be too much to ask to have this completed by then.  But one never knows what's over that hill until one gets there ... maybe I'll be given a blessing by the Goddess of Craftwork ...

Just Keep Swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 28 May 2017, 6:40 pm

That looks absolutely fantastic Kats. How about a rear view mirror on the handlebar?
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 29 May 2017, 11:15 am

Fantastic project !!
The foresight and the skill making all thee parts is to be envied !
Thank you for sharing !!!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 05 Jun 2017, 1:48 am

Dank u wel for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Gary - a mirror ... this definitely gave me reason to smack my delinquent brain, lol.  So obvious yet I fell right into a huge blind spot, pun intended.
 Thank you for the heads up  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731

So while the old subconscious and conscious both mulled over upcoming parts and the logistics of it all (and beat itself up over not having thought of a mirror) I worked up the rear brace for the engine cylinder.  Pretty much the same techniques as the front brace with only a single arm instead of two.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo131

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo132

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo133

After a lot of thinking I figured it would be best to work up the tanks and associated bits, or at least get a start on that stuff.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo134

The first of the major cuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo135

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo136

The bottom cut away.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo137

More stuff from the Bugatti - wheel tubs cut loose to add to the tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo138

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo139

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo140

The reduction of the tanks is to accommodate the shifter(s) which will sit in close to the saddle on the right side.  I'm still mulling over options for gap on the left side which will result.  Although I've tried to maintain symmetry on the rear portions I'm thinking the fronts might wind up asymmetrical.  The inner panels extending back from the curve will eventually be cut away - but first I need to work up a new way to secure the rear half to the frame.  After that comes the front mount points ...

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

Brilliant work on the tank Kats, I feel you have reached a point in the build where real progress can be seen with every additional update (hope you feel the same lol). Although an epic project, forward momentum can clearly be seen to be maintained.

Here's to the next update. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:11 am

Boy ! This update takes anticipation to an exciting new high !!
I am anxious to see what Steampunk gadgetry will be added to that tank as well as other areas !!!
MAN, this is so COOL !!!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:28 am

Thanks muchly for the kind comments and encouragement, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Some additional detail added to the condenser, which is almost done.  Which is to say the further detailing is still being mulled over, lol.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo141

Starting the filling in of the gaps.  Not sure about what kind of Steampunk detailing will come but one of the things planned is to modify the front end of the left side tank ... a weird idea which is evolving slowly at this time.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo142

Early stage of laminating bits of thin styrene sheet and you can see the new rear tank mount taking shape.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo143

Tank mounting tabs being added
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo144

Posts affixed after much fiddling and adjusting - the usual obstacles, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo145

Filling in the gap which the speedometer assembly sits on top of.  I'm still wanting to use the kit speedo set up with slight mods - it has a Steampunk look already.  But the mounting/setting will be done differently.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo146

Cutting off the kit rear mounts and filling the space in the frame.  The hole is large enough that I used both MEK and CA for stability.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo147

Filling/laminating continues.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mo148

From here will be the bottom of the tanks as well as the previously mentioned front of the left tank.  Also, although I mentioned I was thinking about the tank detailing I'm pretty sure that the decorative side of it will be more of the PE I used on the forks.  The functional bits are still mentally unformed, I'm hoping time will help clear the fog.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:47 am

Stirling work Kats. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 12 Jun 2017, 11:00 am

Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 26 Jun 2017, 12:21 am

Many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, fellows  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Not surprisingly there's been some work but not too many photo worthy moments as the work has mostly been laminating, filing, sanding, repeat endlessly.  Slow as it has been, the rear bottom portions have finally been added.  These were parts from the front bottom of the tanks relocated and Frankensteined in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod10

A view of the topsides after I'd reached the point of putty.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod11

More of the underside starts developing.  The inserts were hacked from the original tank bottoms, resized and so forth.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod12

While waiting for glue to cure I started on the left side tank asymmetry mod.  I cut the circle piece from the kit's primary drive cover,  the bits of ring from the old headlight shroud and I'm considering incorporating the engine piece also shown - though the jury's still debating at this point.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod13

Test fit of the circle bit - the plan is to make this the top of a cylindrical tank for fuel while the rear portion of the tank set up will be for extra water.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod14

Summer heat has hit hard so I've been wilting quite a bit ... me no like too hot, lol.  Plus the increase in doing other stuff associated with good weather has slowed me down, but I've got no complaints.  I'm using the opportunity to let the brain wander freely for a bit, maybe something interesting will result  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3331969777

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:05 am

The tank is really coming together, great stuff Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 26 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm

As usual, each much anticipated update adds to how utterly cool this project is !!
Thanks for sharing !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement!  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 3887228019

Well, more of the same in terms of work on the tank - which is to say, lots of not-photo-worthy repetition and stuff but every now and again I snapped a shot of the progress.  

Starting with the work on the bottoms, this first shot shows how a desire for symmetry can mess with the plans.  I wasn't thinking clearly one late night and it was only the next day I realized my error.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod19

And a view after the correction.  You can see how the 'insets' are not symmetrical which was the plan to begin with, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod15

Filling in gaps and starting to develop the cylindrical fuel tank portion.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod16

More filling and also utilizing cut off bits for the front curve of the primary water tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod17

Continuing the front curve on the primary water tank and starting the 'offset' on the fuel tank cylinder.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod18

Rounding the curve on the primary water tank and wondering if I needed more on the fuel tank.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod20

And more filling in and setting up shapes for further development.  Plus I added another layer to the fuel tank which seems to be sufficient.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 13 Hd_mod21

As you can guess a lot of the 'slowness' of this part is simply working out the curves.  The cylinder was easy, just glue in bunches of square rod at first followed by layers of strips laminated over it.  The primary water tank curves are a bit more tetchy, one of the methods I've been using is to get a rough fit, affix piece with MEK then reinforce with gobbets of CA.  The CA works pretty good as it is harder than putty and helps reinforce the seams.  I'm hoping the experience with the primary water tank will help when I get to underside of the fuel cylinder tank portion.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next