Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by GaryDainton Sun 25 Mar 2018, 11:52 am

Deepest sympathy Kats, losing a loved pet is dreadful. For what its worth I think you made the right decision.

More superb work on the build, its really 'filling out' now.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Guest Sun 25 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

My sympathy Kats for your loss, always difficult to put them down. You did the right thing. We lost all three of our kitties to feline Cancer, the worst was the last one.

Really looking forward to this masterpiece getting some colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:15 pm

kpnuts wrote:Jesus this is modelling in the truest sense of the word, incredible stuff going on here.

Certainly agree !! This has been an absolute high to watch all of this take place!!
Thanks,

Thanks for sharing, Kats .
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 03 Apr 2018, 4:39 am

Many thanks for the kind comments, encouragement and support, gentlemen   Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

Now that I've rounded another waypoint on the journey the time has come to make a bunch of small bits, add a bunch of little details I've put off and so forth.  This photo is of some stuff I picked up from a jewelry making supply shop - with a mind to modify and cut and shape and so forth.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo124

One of the detail zones I've been putting off gets dealt with.  I chose the mandala on the right of the above photo and after some trimming and rough shaping checked the fit and look.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo125

The piece was then annealed to make it more pliable and also to burn off the plating, which would have made painting problematic. After some tweaking it was affixed to the tank body with thin CA first followed by medium CA as a gap filler.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo126

And because it wasn't already busy enough I dipped into my store of rivet heads and added a bunch just for effect.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo127

After a last few thinking sessions there was finally a rough plan for the throttling systems. Here's the beginning of the steam throttle which feeds the cylinder, this will be actuated by the left foot.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo128

There will be one main steam feed line which will be split into two feeds for the steambox on the cylinder. The 12 gauge wire is the main feed.  The right angle rod mod is the start of the steam outlet which will be part of the throttle assembly.  The 14 gauge wire are the feeds for the steambox.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo129

The steam outlet after a lot of adjustments.  It started 3 mm further out from the boiler/burner - a mis measurement on my part.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo130

The steam throttle continues to take shape and the fuel throttle starts to take form.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo131

From here on in its going to be this sort of thing.  The foot pegs and associated levers will be interesting as well as the fuel throttle lever which will be placed directly in front of the saddle on the left side of the frame. And as each bit gets finalized it puts the adventure of plumbing that much closer ... ugh, lol.

Nothing exceeds like excess ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 03 Apr 2018, 11:08 am

Just can't get over how exciting and climatic this is getting ! As if it wasn't completely over the wall as it was.
Thanks, Kats for sharing this adventure !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Tue 03 Apr 2018, 11:55 am

This is the work of a master builder....! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 2056302049

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

Stunning Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3848113743 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 50283314 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 2337884168 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

Those emoticons should cover my reaction to the latest update.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 08 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

Thanks all for your very kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

So, at this stage in the build I'm making lists of all the little bits yet to come as well as getting back to all the pieces where I put them aside in an 'almost done' state.  On that note, here's the Condenser Assembly housing getting some detail which will be hidden by the saddle to some extent.  The bit shown was cut from the largest of the mandalas (shown in the previous post), annealed and so forth.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo132

And affixed with thin CA.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo133

The Secondary Fuel Tank also gets some minor detailing on top and bottom.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo134

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo135

The Fuel Throttle now has dual fuel feeds.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo136

Test fitting the bits after some more work.  Clearances are kind of important here as this section is already a bit crowded.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo137

The Steam Throttle actuator lever gets some complexity added.  I was inspired to do this because I saw an old nautical engine control with a 'U' shaped yoke and it seemed that a pressure throttle would also be a good place for such a thing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo138

The Fuel Throttle lever being worked up.  This one is simpler as it isn't under any pressure so to speak.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo139

A bit more work and a bit more test fitting.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo140

And after the addition of ... Hex Nuts!!!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo141

One observation I've made is that over the course of this build I've been putting aside many pieces at the 'almost done' stage in order to keep overall production on the go.  This results in a lot of subconscious background processing going on which I'm not aware of until it comes time to finalize, whereupon the subconscious starts throwing the results of its ruminating when it comes time to do some finalizing.  This makes working out what I plan to do a lot easier - so the adding of surface details to the blank spaces on the larger parts came off rather quickly.

As well, the need for little bits to complete the major bits starts slow then ramps up as more and more of the physical logistics comes more into focus, as was the case with the throttling assemblies.  No matter how much staring and thinking I do, nothing beats actually getting a physical piece into place in order to figure out where I've gone wrong and so forth.

It's nice to see the boiler/burner finally coming into its whole form after all this time, aside from the burner exhaust which is still pending.  Next will be the cylinder for the engine itself in that I now have a 'real' plan for the placement of the steam feed and exhaust port.  Also, there is a need for feeds for the pressure gauges for the steambox, main steam line and condenser and perhaps a temperature gauge feed off the boiler somewhere but these will be small ports with small lines.

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 08 Apr 2018, 6:46 pm

Superb detailing, I assume the gauges will be in the 'usual' place over the tank?
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:41 am

Just a simple Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731  as I am out of words.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:13 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, fellows  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

Gary - Yup and utilizing the kit part.  Instead of one big speedo dial, though, the plan is to have 2 or 3 smaller gauges.

So the Finalizing Phase continues - bits I've been putting off are finally able to be worked on both mentally and in real life.

A return to the Engine with the steam and exhaust ports (or some term like that) taking shape.  The more developed bit is the steam feed but I thought I'd include the proto-exhaust pipe to show my method for making sharp bends in plastic rod - basically slice on a bias which corresponds to the angle you want the bend.  Getting the angle is a matter of fiddling and adjusting and muttering under one's breath.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo142

The steam intake port at a mostly done state.  The little port out the top is for the pressure gauge feed.  Also the inner curve on the pipe is still a sharp angle, the plan is to tap in small amounts of CA to build up a bead to round it out.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo143

Test fit of the steam port on the steam chest.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo144

Exhaust port in progress. Here the pipe off the steam chest starts out smaller but flares out to the same gauge as the steam feed pipe. This was a last-second change that made sense in terms of the whole thermodynamics of condensation thing ... blame science and nature documentaries for this one, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo145

Exhaust port mostly complete.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo146

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo147

This piece was cut/shaped/annealed from the squarish mandala shown a couple of posts previously and is for the blank side of the cylinder.  When I was working up the cylinder I had no idea where I was headed - now its time for some 'bling.'
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo148

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo149

Move on to the main shifter handle.  It was formed from 5mm styrene rod, using small brass calipers to flatten the sides in parallel.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo150

Some time later.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo151

Mostly done - I might still add a few touches.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo152

And I forgot to take photos while the secondary shifter handle got made.  This one uses 3mm styrene rod and the curved bit is built up from portions of leftover 'ring' cut from 0.5 mm styrene sheet.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo153

After this part I'll tackle the fuel throttle, which might take some time as it involves linkages and stuff.  After that comes the footpegs and associated foot levers for the rear brake (on the right side) and steam throttle (on the left side).  

And while this is going on the centre stand will probably start taking shape.  The whole issue of side mounted kick stand versus the centre stand was decided while I was considering how much this thing would weigh (had it been real) and I envisioned a kick stand folding and toppling the cycle over.  So, centre stand it shall be.

Plus the console and the rear view mirror and everything else I've been forgetting, lol.

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:49 am

Great work Kats, I totally agree about the stand. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:08 am

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 50283314
This keeps getting incredibler and incredibler !! (spell check didn't like that, but I do)
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:43 pm

Go Kats Go!

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 Apr 2018, 8:53 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, gents  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

Bit of a posting gap due to 'life stuff' and what else is new, lol.

The 'final' of the secondary shift lever handle with some 'grip ridges' added just because.  Not sure if there will be more little detailing added or what - I'm going to call this tentatively done for the time being.  And I'm still not sure as to the reasoning behind the two shifter levers, just call it Steampunk Style I guess.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo154

Working on multiple bits created a situation where I needed to re-order the photos in order to keep things from getting too confusing. This is the remaining hand lever from the kit being re-purposed to become the steam throttle foot lever.  This involved some additional half round being added to beef it up a bit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo155

A combo shot of the steam throttle foot lever and the fuel throttle lever.  The fuel throttle lever was once a foot shifter scavenged from the Tamiya 1/6 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special kit which I added to the Harley when I did the street cruiser conversion back in the mid '90's.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo156

The steam throttle with the post - this is just the initial as I plan to make the post wider as it will be a foot post, after all.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo157

The fuel throttle lever with extension added for the linkage, test fit to the frame mount point.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo158

Clamp detail being added for the fuel throttle mount.  This is to keep in line with the whole 'cobbled together' looking theme of this build.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo159

Fuel throttle mount mostly done.  You can't see the underside where the clamp flanges and hex nuts(!) are but those are pretty much the same as all the other clamps.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo160

The handle knob and a test fit.  From here it's working out the linkage to the fuel throttle assembly.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo161

And here is the kit rear brake foot lever being modified to act as the rear brake foot lever.  The original part was basically rectilinear and I wanted something a bit more Steampunk-ish.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo162

Adding to the curve and removing the flat foot pad.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo163

After some more shaping and then drilling out to achieve a more ornate look.  The foot pad will be replaced with a post similar to the steam throttle foot lever.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo164

The tentative order of things will be to work up the fuel throttle linkage first then start in on the footpegs and the respective lever mounting and stuff. I must admit that I haven't been thinking things through in advance so though the steam throttle linkage shouldn't be too finicky but the rear brake might be problematic as I need to figure out how to run the brake cable through all the other junk that's kludging up the frame and stuff, lol. Call it the price of not having a plan.

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 29 Apr 2018, 11:20 am

BRILLIANT!!
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:00 pm

This scratch/bash stuff is just mind boggling it is !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731
I'm loving it ! Great work !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:36 pm

I am beyond impressed....wow..! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 2056302049

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 10 May 2018, 5:37 pm

Guys, thanks for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

Well, had to reset my password and this resulted in me not having a handy list of posts since last visit so catching up on the works of others might be spotty this week.  It's not that I'm ignoring anyone, it's just there's a lot of stuff to try and find.

Working up the linkage for the fuel throttle, with the handle in the 'off' position.  I chose to use styrene rod for the rod instead of wire as this part isn't load bearing and plastic doesn't keep little bends like wire of this gauge can.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo165

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo166

After the angles and positioning were worked out it was time to 'finalize' the handle.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo167

Test fit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo168

While thinking on the details of the foot pegs and associated levers I had a thought that the handle for the flywheel needed to be 'secured' to keep it from hanging straight down as that might get in the way of the right leg.  To that end, I scrounged in a bits box and found a small length of box chain that looked to be a proper size for the scale.  There was a ring soldered onto one end already so that became the hook, then it was just a matter of making a loop and collar for the other end.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo169

And the test fit.  I whipped this up quite quickly as a sort of proof of concept thing, prepared to have to do it all over again to correct any errors in the process, and unintentionally wound up with something that works good enough for me.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo170

And the foot pegs.  These are the very rough blanks cut to approximate size with mount points drilled into the rear engine mount post brackets.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo171

Foot levers in their approximate locations.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo172

The rear brake lever and foot pad in development.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo173

The foot pad after detailing.  At this point I realized that I had worked up the pieces backwards, sort of.  The rear brake is an occasional use thing while the steam throttle is a constant use thing.  I was working up the rear brake foot pad based on the kit original which was for the FLH Classic theme.  So ... I swapped them side to side.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo174

Roughing out the set up for the steam throttle with the 'new' foot pad.  After much deliberation I decided to have the levers 'hinge' on the foot posts instead of making a whole separate mounting set up - plus the frame was getting crowded anyway so there was little to no room for such a set up.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo175

The rear brake with the 'new' foot pad which used to be the steam throttle foot pad.  I shortened the lever length a tad and I'm going to be reducing the foot pad size for style reasons.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo176

And while this has been going on I've been mulling over the linkage set ups for the steam throttle and rear brake.  It isn't the details so much as where I'm going to cram that stuff in - one of the many hardships of not having a plan.

I've also been doing some Photoshop work getting the graphics for the dials ready.  Currently I've settled on three pressure gauges and one temperature gauge.  The center stand for the frame is also slowly percolating and soon enough there will be a Rear View Mirror (I keep reminding myself of the rear view so I don't wind up forgetting it, lol).

KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Fri 11 May 2018, 10:09 am

This is looking altogether amazing, the chain, foot pedals/levers and linkages all work really well.
Incredibly enjoyable Kats.

GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Fri 11 May 2018, 8:19 pm

Getting seriously busy ! WOW !
NICE WORK !!!!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sat 12 May 2018, 10:27 am

Speechless...WOW..! Simply stunning work...! Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 1705482731

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 17 May 2018, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 3887228019

The remaining bits are developing smoothly, more or less, which is a relief.  Here's a pic of the rear brake foot pad after I added the 'grip' texture using 1mm half-round rod.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo177

And full steam ahead on the steam throttle assembly.  The curved piece added to the lever was made from 2mm square rod cut at angles to get the basic shape then filled and sanded to round out the angles.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo178

Getting to this point took longer than expected due to some issues with angles and such. Once again I chose to use styrene rod instead of wire for the linkage rod as this part will be static and not load bearing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo179

Test fit showing the set up in 'off' position - part of the issues in working this up was figuring out the length of the linkage rod so that in 'full open' position the foot pad would be horizontal to the foot peg.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo180

A view of the set up with the foot pad in place.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo181

And the steam throttle assembly in 'mostly complete' status.  The spring was cobbled from a bits and pieces box and is the third try to find the correct size and wire gauge for scale.  I neglected to take photos of the clamps and such for the spring mounting during development but not a big loss as it echoes a lot of the previous work in other sections.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo182

The foot pegs morph to foot rests a bit at a time.  I was initially considering just leaving them as round pegs style foot rests but in a fit of inspiration I went ahead and made them 'thicker' in the flat style.  I used 4mm half round rod for the initial add-on.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo183

Could have taken more photos but I forgot again.  Here's the undersides of the foot rests after some work.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo184

Adding a bit of width to the outsides.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 18 Hd_mo185

At this point the list of what remains to be built for the Steamcycle has been reduced down to the fingers of one hand - working out the rear brake assembly which involves a return spring and how to mount the brake cable (and all the little bits), working out the mounting for the front brake cable (and all the little bits), making the dials for the Console and perhaps embellishing it somewhat, making the rear view mirror and ... PLUMBING.  Perhaps the plumbing is not a 'build' thing but I'm including the addition of some ports in this.  The ports for the 'arteries and veins' are all made but I still need to make some for the gauges, a minor thing really but still pending. *Edit* it turns out that I have seven or eight fingers on one hand, lol. I've forgotten the centre stand and the drive belts in that list, lol. Oops*

Then comes the painting and a major 'renovation' of the work space to accommodate this.

I'm deliberately taking a minor hiatus now for several reasons - amongst those are the impending return of milady from an excursion afar and the accompanying need for me to clean the place up and put everything back in its place (I jokingly informed her I was getting a large shovel and a leaf blower to assist me with this endeavour).

And here in Canuck-land we've got the Victoria Day holiday weekend and where I work it's considered the unofficial start of the summer season so I've been busy helping get the various things set up, including the Water Park and Water Slide.

As well the 4th Anniversary of the Steamcycle Build approaches, May 28 to be precise, and as with past anniversaries the plan is to do the Great Big Test Fit for some vanity/moral support photos.  Of course the whole test fit assembly is far more involved now than it was in years past - it will likely take me a few hours to remember what all the little parts are and how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by KatsZenJammer on Fri 18 May 2018, 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 17 May 2018, 7:44 pm

Great work Kats, Ill look forward to the 4th anniversary test fit. May the fourth be with you.

GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next