Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

+17
Geezerman
GaryDainton
Mence
RetiredMike
Nipponrookie
Mr Hirakawa
Ace
kpnuts
hotrodmax
Skid
dublin boy
harron68
disabled modeler
Speed Racer 65
KatsZenJammer
Shelby
A5h
21 posters

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Skid Sun 27 Nov 2016, 11:19 am

I wholeheartedly agree with geezerman comments Cole and would go so far as to say that this is the very best scratchbuilding WIP I have seen anywhere on the web!!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Empty Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2016, 1:28 pm

I like your thought process and appreciate your notes Kats.

I too need notes for the same reason, sometimes late in the day at work I think I could get lost in a corner. I can usually tell when it's around 3, cause that's about the time when "3 o'clock curtis" shows up for work, the confusion and mistakes start to set in. So ya your practice of notes in your post is great and serves us as well as future Kats, lol.

Keep up the extraordinary work.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 05 Dec 2016, 3:30 am

Clay, Al & Curt - Thank you for your very kind comments and encouragement.  I din't feel that I deserve the high level of praise but it definitely encourages me to try to be worthy of it.  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019

A bit of follow through from the last post - I dry fit the rear fender and went through the kit parts while thinking about the boiler/fire box, the condensation recovery tank, the radiator, two pumps and fuel and water tanks.  Everything except the battery, brake pedal and gear shift pedal went into a baggie and got doused with Easy Off Fume Free (which is far less toxic to the nostrils and works about the same).  The cylinder sections had been painted with Humbrol Metal Cote and they were persistent.  Probably another dousing with Easy Off will deal with that.  Some half formed thoughts of really Steampunk-ish boilers have been floating around already, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod40

But before I got to that I returned to the now and added some ribbing to the tranny body.  1.0 mm half circle rod is flexible but the body curve was enough that I needed to put a bit of a curve into the individual pieces to help with gluing.  Also, I used some old Tamiya thin cement which had thickened and lost potency over time - fresh MEK will cause the rod to snap under its own tension.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod41

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod42

Previously I mentioned a side brace for the transmission so I started work on it and finished the evening by gluing the legs into place.  *Insert screeching tires sound*  I need to learn not to glue things when I stay up late, lol.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod43

The legs came off easily enough, thankfully.  Here are the parts for the side brace as planned.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod44

Shaping and gluing occurs.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod45

Additional details which mirror the rear of the transmission mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod46

And finally some 'through bolts' with nuts.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod47

Affixing the side brace to the frame. First a tiny bit of MEK to hold them followed by thin CA for strength.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod48

Clamp detail started.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod49

The side brace worked up quickly thanks to the recent work with the main mount, I just re-used the same techniques I'd already figured out. I'm thinking of adding a 'drain reservoir' to the bottom of the transmission which will sit in the gap between the brace and mount. Plus there's the whole shifter mechanism to work out but my recent thoughts of going more 'fantastical' has given me a few weird thoughts about that as well. I am not exactly sure about things but I think I can say with some confidence that there is a serious amount of decorative complexity approaching, lol.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 05 Dec 2016, 9:10 am

Brilliant detail work as always Kats, all the parts you have laid out look fantastic, I love the battery. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:02 am

More amazing work. You certainly have the dedication and sculpting skills to astound.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:42 am

How can I continue applauding these workings without becoming redundant ?
Man, Just love watching it come together!!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 2337884168
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

stunning.... Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 2337884168

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2016, 3:41 pm

Loving following along on this build. Great work, keep after it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Mon 05 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

Tuned in again and wasn't disappointed.

Cannot wait for it to be in paint.
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:31 am

Gary, Mr. H., Clay, Mark, Buck & Mitch -  Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019

Whilst working on the stuff from the previous post I started thinking about the boiler/firebox and the space available for it.  I thought of the cylinder covers and ...
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod50

... after de-chroming and some rough chopping to narrow the width I had the beginnings of the boiler unit.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod51

Joining the halves and filling in.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod52

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod53

Flipped over to show the filling in of the bottom where the mount points will be located.  I also chose to remove moulded nut and bolt details and fill in the divots.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod54

Some initial rough putty fill, still more work to be done yet.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod55

The normally temperate Vancouver has been experiencing 'real' winter and with that has come much distraction, lol. Plus with the dreaded Holiday Season approaching I can sense my hobby time undergoing a serious shrinking, but there should be opportunities, one hopes.

Just keep swimming ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:39 am

Lovely work Kats, imagineering at its best.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

Anticipation to see what is emerging is at an all time high !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 50283314
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:01 pm

Great re purposing Kats!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:03 pm

Man this thing just gets better and better with each update. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 524092055

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:02 am

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, guys  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019

The anticipated busy-thing was, for me, complicated by unseasonably winter-like weather which Vancouver is never prepared for (what would be a moderate snowfall anywhere else sends this city into chaos, lol).  But I did get in some hobby time, so here's a pre-holiday update as the next one might be a few weeks, lol.

Before I could go further with the boiler/burner I needed to work out mounting it to the frame.  This is another example of me having no clue what I wanted to do and letting the part develop itself as it went along.  It starts with a pair of wish-bone like brackets and then drilling alignment holes and putting in bits of brass wire, 22 gauge in this case.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod56

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod57

Creating the open cell cross frame just sort of happened as I was playing around with scrap bits and cut-off's.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod58

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod59

Styrene strips were added as a base for the half-round layer on top.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod60

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod61

The nut/bolt mounts and their seats.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod62

Test fit with the additional plate which will be glued to the boiler mount.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod63

Parts glued and clamp detail begun.  There's also going to be additional detailing to the crossmember and anywhere else that looks too empty  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1792231099
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod65

After everything was affixed the test to see how it sits.  Now I can start kludging up the blank for the boiler, like adding to the height and also the inevitable plumbing.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod64

And with that I will wish everyone a safe, warm, pleasant and food-filled festive fiesta and, of course, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:24 am

That is looking stunning Kats, beautiful detailing. Have a great Christmas. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:05 am

Missed a few updates on this Kats due to family problems but man this is really taking shape now. Fabulous work. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

Very nice...! I wish I had your skills and resources....LOL... id be building my own ones too....awesome job...top notch.... Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

Well. They say that profanity is the efforts of a feeble mind trying to express itself force ably ! I'm close to my limits of decency to express my admiration for this body of work !!!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Tue 27 Dec 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the update Kats
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Dec 2016, 2:11 pm

And the brilliant creative insanity continues. Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 50283314 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 2337884168

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 02 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

Guys, thank you for your very kind comments and encouragement  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019

Well the holiday break was what one would expect, filled with arranging, organizing, logistics and scheduling but thankfully everything worked out and I wound up repeatedly feeling like my stomach was a few sizes too small.  My personal 'haul' this year was limited due to the fact that I told everyone not to get me anything gift wise - my personal preference is to spend the money on food and festivities - but there was more than enough convivial good tidings to compensate for the lack of swag, lol.

A bit of work was accomplished though, here's a shot of the underside of the boiler mount with added detailing.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod66

The upper portion of the boiler starts to take shape.  I found an old 'aftermarket' generic lifeboat in my 'bits and pieces' box and started chopping and gluing.  This is just the beginning of the part but I like the look of the moulded curves and am going to try and work it in to the finished design.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod67

And finally some New Year's Eve display photos.  A couple of the invited guests to our NYE 'mellow' get together mentioned that they'd like to see my 'project' as it stands (and one demanded evidence of my mad obsessional tinkering, lol) so it seemed like the thing to do.  Plus it gave me an opportunity to stare at the overall progress and re-assess the various ideas percolating in my noggin.
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod68

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod69

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod70

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 Hd_mod71

The resulting comments from my guests ranged from ego-boosting compliments to questions about my overall sanity so I consider the display a success, lol.  With the return to the day job looming I doubt I will get in much work this week but after posting this I'm going to wander to one of the LHS's to indulge in some personal spending - today is the first day I've had the time to do so given the circumstances and weather.

Otherwise I will end this by wishing everyone a great start to their New Year and may we all suffer from an excess of good times, good energy and good building  Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 3887228019   Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 524092055
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 02 Jan 2017, 7:15 pm

Looks fantastic Kats, great to see the complete build to date. When this is done I am going to invite you over to stay so I can see it in the flesh.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 02 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

Kats....... I just don't know what to say any more. I am just totally lost for words. And coming from me, that is really saying something.

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731 Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:48 am

Happy New Year to you too, Katz !! Sincere thanks for posting your ongoing work for our enjoyment !!
Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy) - Page 10 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next