Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamiya 1/12 scale

5 posters

Go down

Tamiya 1/12 scale Empty Tamiya 1/12 scale

Post by RetiredMike Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:12 pm

Wow!!!   What is it with Tamiya's rubber?  I was going over models on the shelf that needed dusting, etc.  And what do I find?  Another 1/12th scale build turned into a real 'barnfind'.  The Jagermeister 934 Porsche with both rear tires flattened and rotting.

Tamiya 1/12 scale 934_ro10
Tamiya 1/12 scale 934_ro12
Tamiya 1/12 scale 934_ro13
Tamiya 1/12 scale 934_ro11

This isn't the first it happened either.  You may remember my Tyrell 6 wheel F1 car's tires.
Tamiya 1/12 scale Tyrell11

And this is all that remains of the Martini Porsche 935 that I dashed against the ground when it's tires rotted.
Tamiya 1/12 scale Porsch10

Now granted, the wife was a smoker up until 15 years ago, but at that time the 934 was in good shape.  And since then we've even moved into a new home.  I'm not sure if I want to chance another 1/12th Tamiya kit again.  What do you have to do - enclose them in plastic and fill it with argon?

Has anyone else experienced this with their big scale kits?

Mike
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Tamiya 1/12 scale Empty Re: Tamiya 1/12 scale

Post by Skid Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:44 pm

The only 1/12 Tamiya I have Mike is my Brabham BT44 and it's only a couple of years old.

I remember you posting the Tyrrell tyres and they are well past it. But the Porsche tyres look perfect for a barn find. Have you thought of doing some work on the whole and turn it into just that.... a barn find.

As for the 934 engine, it looks perfect for a barn find. If you don't want it..... sling it my way. LOL

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 27 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

I think the Tamiya rubber is subject to heat and age-rot and other things, much like real rubber but faster. The tires on my 1/6 Harley are of a thicker grade but they show cracking and the start of some sag and this is despite the fact that they were in 'dry cool' storage for decades.

I like Al's suggestion of a barn find re-do (of course) but that's just my own bias towards non-showroom display builds.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:13 pm

The domestic (U.S.) model tires were usually thick vinyl. Occasionally, model companies issued styrene plastic ones we'd have to paint. I still remember white plastic "wrinkle slicks" I think came with the then cheap-o AMT AWB models (like the Nova "rat packer).
The Tamiyas, by contrast, were thin and soft, and I loved them. I guess it's no surprise they don't hold up so well. I'm afraid to dig out my beautiful 1/16th diorama of the "preying mantis" Revell (?) dragster model with similar soft rubber.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 10 Sep 2017, 1:00 am

I was surprised to get an email from Tamiya-USA yesterday. I sent them the pictures shown here explaining the problem. They seemed to acknowledge it kind of saying "Well, the models are 30-40 years old". But they are going to replace them when they can get a set from the factory in Japan.

I'd rather they provided non-scale thickness rubber tires like other manufacturers than have them rot over the years.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Speed Racer 65 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

I wonder if you put ArmorAll on them once a month and rotated the wheels occasionally if they would last longer?

If you let a real car just sit for years with no love, it would do the same... hence the "barn find" condition.
Speed Racer 65
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down