Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

+22
Johnag
itsonlyakit
RetiredMike
stevegt738
john2308
Grouchy
coyote
pete s
A5h
Skid
harron68
beowulf
Sam
Brizio
BrentH
Codfather
Shelby
dogfish7
Geezerman
Tumbler75
wisdonm
MotoScale87
26 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Empty Re: Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

Post by Sam Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:06 am

Were they still using 20 mule teams in 1914-18 ? I guess they could have been, since autos and trucks were still in their infancy and trains could not go in places that the Mule teams could.

By the way, I built that version when I was a kid as well.
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Empty Re: Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

Post by john2308 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 2:33 am

Sam, here is a link to the history of the 20 mule team so you can read about them and let me know if it is legal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-mule_team
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 28 Dec 2013, 9:43 am

Just found that link myself John.

It's down to Sam as GB leader of course but I'd say it's too much of a stretch and not in the spirit of the build.

Maybe you could modify it in some way to reflect the 1914-1918 WWII years!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itsonlyakit Sat 28 Dec 2013, 9:50 am

The 20 Mule Team model kit, I built that too. My dad made a base and plastic dust cover for it. That was back in the 60's. All that remains is the water wagon. A few months ago at a Large Toy and Collectibles show I picked up a complete kit of the same 20 Mule Team, felt good. The first and last time I used Ebay was to buy some 30mm mounted dragoon flat tin figures 13 years ago and had a friend do it because I did not own a computer back then. Now I see and hear much negativity about Ebay. There are other ways to feed ones styrene addiction:
1   Attend or participate in model contests, raffles and model kit vendors should be there.
2   Thrift or collectible stores sometimes have kits. I have even found kits at a pawn shop.
3   Belong to a modeling club, some one usually wants to unload some thing sooner or later.
4   Shop at your local hobby shop or car pool to larger city that has several stores.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0517640x425
Got this Mercedes at a model contest and show in Port Townsend bought 20 raffle tickets and won 6 models.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0802640x427
Thrift shop Ferrari for $5.00, I was amazed because it had some of the bags inside opened and no parts missing. Sometimes the model box has a glue bomb but if price is right a donor kit is found !

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0876-Copy640x425
Thrift shop again as is for $3.99. Kit had been started but complete. Easy off oven cleaner fixed that.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0452640x427
Freddy Krueger vinyl figure kit as found at a pawn shop for $20.00. Went in looking for a small tool and came out happy. Got both.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0797640x427
Fink Eliminator an Ed Roth monster made in Mexico ? by Revell ?  $10.00 at a Toy Show.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0801640x427
Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 DSC_0627640x427

Five addicts car-pooled to Vancouver and shopped, got these recent releases and some paint not available here on the Island. We do have a very good Hobby Shop here in Victoria but the grass is greener on the mainland, LOL.
Cheers Eh!
itsonlyakit
itsonlyakit

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

i like that 32 ford
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:10 pm

You nailed it on the head Gord. Where I live there is no hobby shop. Not just in town but the whole county. Nor in the counties to the East, South, and North of me. There is no county to the West just Pacific Ocean. So I follow the same plan you do. I soured on E-bay quite some time ago. Seems their idea of "Open but complete" and my idea of same are different. I didn't make the Port Angles Show this year. Wrecked the car and didn't have it fixed in time. Hope to see you there or at Puyallup Elks show this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

I picked up this old British Bedford 'OLB' Fuel Tanker today.
The local Railway Museum in Shildon (birthplace of the Railways) were having a Model Railways & Toy Fair.
It was the only model kit I could see amongst the track, locos and rolling stock.
...I'm very happy with it.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 3f9b388c-02d4-46e5-bb02-bff2796ee55e_zps76d7a1a0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

john2308 wrote:Sam, here is a link to the history of the 20 mule team so you can read about them and let me know if it is legal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-mule_team

It looks like they were pulled from service after 1889, and only used for promotional appearances after that. I see that they were used for Pres. Wilsons inauguration in 1917. Can you pull off a simple diorama depicting that? That would be the only thing I see that would fit the 1914-18 era.
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

Sam, I'll see if I can find any info/ref. for that, if not then I'll put the wip in misc.  Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 3887228019 
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:28 am

Rather than flood this thread with stuff I constantly buy,  I put together my acquistions in one picture.............LOL

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 201310

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:39 am

Cool collection ......... WOW! I see quite a few MFH kits in there!!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 6:48 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

And that was just for New Years Eve!!!!  Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 1792231099 

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 04 Jan 2014, 12:58 am

Later this year I'm going to do a late forties English village garage diorama which is going to be based around this kit:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Fokker12

Hopefully it will come out something like this:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 35556_10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 35556_11

Not sure about the fence at the moment.Probably at the rear.

To go our front I have these:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 3574bt10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Mirror10

And in the garage with the bonnet open will be this:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Icm-3510

Now I know the truck and car are Soviet but they'll have to suffice as I cannot find any suitable English 1:35 kits.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm

I believe that Moskvitch used the early Opel Kadett tooling. (Kadett below)
A neighbour of ours in the 1950's had one, so the car's fine for the diarama

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Kadett_zpsf3477aa7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 04 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

That will be an awesome dio Al !
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

The good thing about having a son who builds the odd model too, is he brings me presents when it's not my birthday.
Here's what he gave me today....and I've already got enough to last me years.
He bagged a further eight for himself from a chap in Leeds who was thinning his stash. Good score!

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 025384d1-5b7b-4de2-8f6e-2577a38dcfbf_zps06817ba0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm

Very nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Mon 03 Feb 2014, 4:57 am

On Saturday, my latest purchase arrived. It is the Model Factory Hiro (MFH) Eagle T1G formula 1 car from the 60's, in 1/20 scale. It has the decals for the GP winning car from Belgium in 1967, driven by Dan Gurney. Dan was one of my heros, and I always loved the way this car looked, especially the beak nose. I have always wanted to build this car!

I already had a great reference book, so the first photo shows the kit box and the book.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_10

Here is what came in the box:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_11

Most of it is cast metal, with plastic molded body panels, some turned aluminum parts, two photo etch frets, molded tires,  some plumbing details and the decals. Here is a photo of the metal bags.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_12

With all that metal, it is going to be one hefty model! Next are the plastic parts, which are body panels, interior tub and the vac formed windscreen:

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_13

The last two photos show the beautiful wheels and tires, plus the turn aluminum bits. The small springs are for holding the exhaust headers to brackets at the rear of the car, just like the 1:1 vehicle. The 12 turned velocity stacks are especially cool looking!

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_14
Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Eagle_15

I know that Paul has one of the MFH kits like this for the BRM car from the same time period. I also believe that he has this same Eagle kit in his stash! The kit was expensive, but after looking inside, the quality looks fantastic. And it is the only one of this subject that I know of.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

Always liked the look of the Eagle - and fantastic kit.
 Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 1705482731

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 3:01 pm

You're right there Pete, I have that kit also and it is beautiful.

I was able to control myself this week-end at the NNL and only walked away with ONE kit !!

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 02-0110

The week before, I got  a resin kit I've been waiting six months for.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 Lance10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 7 01-2310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 4:37 pm

Pete that looks like a great kit.

Paul that Titanic looks like a big kit. Need lot's of display room for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 8:15 pm

Is there a model of the iceberg in the Titanic kit ?

..an obvious reply, but I couldn't help myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:04 pm

That stuff all looks major cool
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 2:27 am

Iceberg?? HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Thank you for that!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next