Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kits kits kits - but which??

+6
pete s
dublin boy
harron68
Skid
beowulf
A5h
10 posters

Go down

kits kits kits - but which?? Empty kits kits kits - but which??

Post by A5h Wed 07 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

Hi guys

Being relatively new to the model building scene (less than a year) and only having experience with a few manufacturers, I was wondering which offer the best fitting, decals, customer service etc.

I believe the general consensus is Tamiya are the top but what about the rest.

Airfix
Amt
Aoshima
Fujimi
Hasegawa
Jo-han
Minicraft
Monogram
Revell
Tamiya

+ any others you know of.

Basically I'm watching a few on ebay but if they are terrible to build I will leave them alone.
This may also help others to decide who to start with when they are new to models like me

Comments are very welcome from you model masters. Or if you think its a pointless post then delete it
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

kits kits kits - but which?? Empty Re: kits kits kits - but which??

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

Well it's not a pointless post in my opinion as it'll get a discussion going.

My opinion is simple,  you buy what you want and make the best of it.

I think the options are............

You can get a crappy model,  (moan about it)  and then do your best to make something of it by scratching bits etc.

Then again...

You can get a perfect fitting model, (think how good it is) have no trouble with it and get it done in no time, maybe too easy and boring?

Then,  of course,  there's everything in between!!

It all depends on how much you want to put into the build at the end of the day, and how much you want to build a particular model, I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

from my own experience

A5h wrote:

Airfix......old tool can be a little hard work.....current new stuff you cant go wrong with
Amt.......garbage
Aoshima......somes good, somes a pain
Fujimi......ok, quite nice
Hasegawa....overpriced and average
Jo-han.....never done one
Minicraft........ok, decals can be a bit iffy, brittle styrene
Monogram.....some of the old stuff can be 'inaccurate' not that that bothers me
Revell.....mixed.......revell germany stuff is nice......revell america is ether ok or very old tosh
Tamiya......there is a few that are a pain in the arse....porsche 959 comes to mind

Dragon....nicely moulded, confusing instruction
Eduard......nicely moulded but was a bit of a let down
Heller.......same as old Airfix
Italerai.......always liked italerai........and they have a mould sharing deal with Tamiya
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 07 Jan 2015, 5:05 pm

That's a bit like how long is a bit of string Ash.

Tamiya would be top of the list of course but as Colin points out they are a bit 'Shake and Bake'. (you put paint and glue in the box, shake, and the model comes out built). On the other hand, although more expensive, they are probably the best way to start. (no fit issues)

All the others you mention have great kits and poor kits. It's like Colin says,..... pick what you like, accept it's shortcomings and build it the best you can. In a couple of years, you will be wondering why you started this thread.

In the meantime, when you find a kit you want to buy, post it here and ask for opinions.

HTH

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

It depends.  I haven't built in decades but have kept up to a degree.  Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine and website has done kit reviews, reusing of old dies and brand new models.  
   Some of the old kits can have poor fit, and some were just not really accurate reproductions (especially of, say, the many 1932 Fords by all U.S. companies).  I really never noticed small proportion and detail inaccuracies.  As for difficulty in assembling, the "Orange Crate" very old kit repopped a few times, was done on this forum and was a pain.  If kits with a ton of pieces are a worry, the "curbside" type no engine models can be fun.  As to brands, here in the U.S. most of our kits that are new molds are pretty good. Tamiya kits seem to be the highest in quality, but cost like it. You Tube often has builder reviews of new kits too. Dr. Cranky's website and Y.T. channel is good as well.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

Sometimes I think Tamiya make it over complicated for no good reason.

New Revell stuff, both American and German is very good though, ranging from a 49 Merc to a Golf GTI.

As Al says when you're scoping a kit out, ask for opinions, I buy stuff that I know is pretty bad, but I want to build the subject so I still get it, especially old stuff I built 30 years ago.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Wed 07 Jan 2015, 11:51 pm

My opinion is that it is hard to beat either a Tamiya or italeri kit. I have had the best experiences with both.

But I tend to agree with Colin. Buy and build what you want. I think the subject matter is what matters the most and peaks each one of our interests. If a kit is not great, then modify it to make it better. There are likely not many of us who leave a kit "box stock" anyway!!

My two cents worth.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VirusX Thu 08 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

Tamiya is #1 for me too, but Aoshima is a close second. The other down side is with (the kits I have dealt with) everything is written in Japanese, so you are a bit on your own for paint codes and such. But the quality of the parts is great and they always go together well.
VirusX
VirusX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Jan 2015, 12:48 am

I come from the "if you like it then build it" school. I like older automobiles so a lot of the time I have to go with AMT. I cuss the inaccuracies and the warping, but in many cases if you want to build that car then that's what you have. You just learn to live with it. Also, having to compensate for the problems in the long run will make you a better modeler. I think it all boils down to what makes you happy. Have fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Thu 08 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Of course if I was to have any issues with anything at all I would ask. The idea was to see what to avoid and it appears that unless you have experience dont buy old kits (which makes sense)

I didnt know that Tamiya and Italeri are together (built and Italeri before and it went together easily so that makes sense too)

I have a few on my hit list from other manufacturers but like the wise words above..

Get what you like and build it, just have fun, enjoy the hobby and ask if you need help or guidance.
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm

it appears that unless you have experience dont buy old kits (which makes sense) wrote:

Actually I don't agree. Now you have some kits behind you, you will gain more experience if you start to tackle some of the ones with fit issues.

Kits like Tamiya are beautifully made, but apart from decaling and painting, won't teach you anything else. Particularly if you want to scratchbuild or modify anything.

I didnt know that Tamiya and Italeri are together wrote:

They aren't as far as I know Ash.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm

Ive Just had search and found some info that seems to be the same across a few sites

Basically....... There is no actual merger between Italeri and Tamiya -- only working business agreements.
Tamiya has joint projects (reboxings/mixed boxings) with both Italeri and ICM, Often for the European or Japanese market.

I suppose that explains the figures in some italeri kits being slightly different scale to the model and the fact that some kits have some of the same sprues especially in military armour.

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Thu 08 Jan 2015, 11:14 pm

If you build by subject matter, you might have 2 or 3 choices of manufacturers. The only thing I build by manufacturer are the old discontinued Pyro kits.

If you see a subject you really like, you'll probably end up suffering the pains of warped parts, poor fit, bad molding to have that subject. That's where your modelling skills will be tested.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 08 Jan 2015, 11:50 pm

I'd just like to add 'and honed' to that Mike.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

One of the interesting things that hasn't come up (and used to in the "old days") are kits with damaged and/or missing parts. We can be thankful for the quality upgrades and things like separate bagged parts and clear parts being protected from scratches. Directions, too, especially in military kits, have better color paint suggestions.
I have to chuckle at the mention of "Pyro" kits. They were low in quality, but all 3 I have ('48 Lincoln, '30s Cord, and Auburn?) are so rare they rise above crude chromed engines they contain. Thanx!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm

I think it all depends on the genre of model you are building. I build cars and trucks. Not into the Military, ships, sic-fi or planes. There is nothing wrong with those genres of models I really enjoy seeing them built and we have some outstanding builders here that build them.

Tamiya kits are good, but so many are curbside (which I find to be a turn off) I stay away from them generally.

The newer Revell kits (1950 Olds,etc) are great.
Moebius has entered the fray with some outstanding kits. Great fit and finish and outstanding detail.
Trumpeter kits offer great detail and fit and finish. Plus both of those manufactures offer out of the norm subjects.
Amt kits are "Like a Box of Chocolates" you just don't know what it will be like until you open the box and get after it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Fri 09 Jan 2015, 5:11 pm

Might as well chime in too. In my experience I've had crap kits from all but Tamiya. As to Tamiya it's because I've had no experience. Like most it's all about the subject matter. Since I'm into pre-63 cars many of my kits are old, some with multipart bodies and lots with the tub interiors. I make most with them and try to overcome the short comings.

One thing not mentioned is that molds change hands so some times the subject matter on the used market is exactly the same but with different boxes. For example Italeri, Testors/Italeri, and Testors are sometimes the same kit. JohnJ had a run in with the Lindberg 37 Ford, which I have as a Testors Boyd Smoothster.
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

Thanks guys I appreciate all of your comments.

It has got me thinking about trying some old kits out to overcome their short falls to gain the experience for my next big filler/scratch building challenge idea which I have.

A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Mon 12 Jan 2015, 6:22 am

Theres too much variation for me to give a clear verdict. Tamiya always have top quality kits,
but some of the older cars were curbside at best.

I don't have a clear cut winner. Loser, yes. Testors, based on my on-the-bench Camaro at least.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Mon 12 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

webby wrote:Theres too much variation for me to give a clear verdict. Tamiya always have top quality kits,
but some of the older cars were curbside at best.

I don't have a clear cut winner. Loser, yes. Testors, based on my on-the-bench Camaro at least.

I wasn't in modeling when Testors got into kits but they seemed to have bought up companies or rights and the kits are all over the map. The Italeri kits are nicely detailed and the IMC Fabulous Fords 48 coupe body is in an insane number of pieces.

When checking out an older kit I try to find one on eBay that has photos so I can see how many parts before buying. Doesn't mean I don't get some stinkers from time to time! kits kits kits - but which?? 1704234926
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down