Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mazda MX-5 Miata

+5
pete s
beowulf
Johnag
Mr Hirakawa
john2308
9 posters

Go down

Mazda MX-5 Miata Empty Mazda MX-5 Miata

Post by Shelby Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:20 am

I'm breaking out a kit I recently bought for just $16.00 at the hobby shop to build this weekend as it is a long one here.  Ambitious of a project for me since it takes me forever to build anything and that is one of the reasons I'm trying this.  Another objective with this build is to try and curb my obssesive compulsive tendencies (yes I have a few) and lastly if I can achieve that than it should give me a boost in getting back in the groove and complete some of the stuff I started here.  Once this is posted I'm on the hook and have to get to work, good thing I have Monday as well  Mazda MX-5 Miata 3331969777

The kit and srpue shots...

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00210

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00211

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00211

Alright off I go to the bench to get started.
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Mazda MX-5 Miata Empty Re: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Post by john2308 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 4:32 am

Looks like a nice kit and will be waiting for progress updates Mazda MX-5 Miata 1817768433
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

You'll pull it off NP Denis, apart from being curbside, it apparently doesn't even have a body!!! Mazda MX-5 Miata 1792231099

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

Excellent, I look forward to watching this.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:21 pm

Hi Mr S,

Is the engine detailed or is it just the sump etc that shows...

Andy... popcorn

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Sat 13 Feb 2016, 5:07 pm

Skid wrote:You'll pull it off NP Denis, apart from being curbside, it apparently doesn't even have a body!!! Mazda MX-5 Miata 1792231099

I thought I had the body pic up when I looked at the preview.  Guess not haha!  There you go...

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00212

Last night's goal was to have all the parts cleaned up and the body painted and clearcoated.  Result: Total Fail!
I didn't expect a Tamiya body to take up 3 hours to clean up but this one had some hard mold lines on all corners, windshield frame and some nasty crazing happening on the trunk.  It also came with a round mark to put a Eunos badge on it but this isn't that version.

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00213

Regardless of that I was good and ready to go with the paint job.  Testors One Coat system dries really fast and could clearcoat the base an hour after so I went with it and decided to do a fade paint job starting with Inca Gold which laid down perfectly.  I went on with the second colour Bronze and that's when things went sour.

Looks good from afar...

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00214

but far from good...

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00215

Sometimes pictures make things look better than they are and this is case here.  The spray was very uneven, have so pithing and some spitting that made it on the gold away from the fade area so It's worse than it looks on here.  I'm a bit surprised because I used the same can for another car and it went on smooth. I was ready to accept an ok paint job for this but this is in the disaster category.  I hope to be able to sand it down and fix it up so I haven't thrown in the towel but the odds aren't in my favour here.  

I will update later with hopefully some positive results.
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 13 Feb 2016, 7:13 pm

I'm sure you'll tidy up the paint Denis.

The round mark isn't for Eunos badges, it's for the side indicator repeater lights on Eunos Roadsters, I have a Jap import for many years. The Euro spec MX-5 has them too, never seen a Miata so I can't comment on them.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sat 13 Feb 2016, 7:19 pm

i did this kit about 2 years ago, went together no drama so look forward to seeing how you get on
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:56 pm

I also did this kit some time ago. Like Paul, it went together just fine. Also looking forward to seeing your finished product.

I owned a 1994 full size US spec, in red of course. I updated the kit to make it a '94. The Miata was one of the best and most fun cars I ever owned. Had it for 9 years and put 100k miles on it. Almost no maintenance. Lowered it, put bigger sway bars on, put on adjustable Konis, and installed front shock tower brace. Handled like a slot car. I miss it!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

I have an original NA 1.6 Pete. I bought it 16 years ago, sweet little car. Still have it too!

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:06 pm

dublin boy wrote:I have an original NA 1.6 Pete. I bought it 16 years ago, sweet little car.

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm

The latest chapter in this weekend built...
I sanded the body where needed and looked good to be salvaged until I hit the trunk.  it looked good until the paint had time to flash and dry...20 minutes and saw this...

Mazda MX-5 Miata Dsc00216

I just can't seem to catch a break. Mazda MX-5 Miata 4039365958 I have to toss the body in the lake for stripping so I'm packing up this weekend build and will pick it back up another time.  On the plus side I still feel like building so I will put my efforts into my truck.
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm

Damn the Luck. Stay with it I like the fade paint job and the colors involved in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

A shame about the paint.  I've felt using air brush gives more flexibility, but they can vary and sometimes even different paints from the same company ( same paint type) can react.  Room temp/humidity also can mess with what would otherwise be a perfect job.  No wonder we've all "lost patience and gone crazy" with some models.  Good luck and patience with this one.  When you're done you can feel more pride for having pushed thru the barrier!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm

Last update on this...I forgot the body in brake fluid and while I was doing some cleaning up around the bench I fished it out. First I found the top of the windshield frame had cracked cleanly right in the middle, when cleaning up the body the plastic felt incredibly soft. I gave it a pull to check the structure and it tore right up, not broke or snap but tore like paper. So I did the right thing and put it right out of its misery and mine. So needless to say this WIP will never see a final product from it but the parts box will be fed.

Al - You can delete this thread and save the space for something more constructive.
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear this.

Wow, never herd of this. I have left shells and parts in BF for more then a year and never had this happen.
I will never do that again. Thanks for posting this up Denis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:07 pm

Shelby wrote:
Al - You can delete this thread and save the space for something more constructive.

Ah nuts! Denis. That's areal shame.

Like Curt, I have never heard of this or had it happen to me. Tamiya plastic too!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:45 pm

Ya it's a little crazy, just about two months to the day. Oh well moving on to clean things up and figure out what I'm going to work on.
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down