Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build

+11
dublin boy
Mike C
webby
Geezerman
Mr Hirakawa
beowulf
Sam
kpnuts
RetiredMike
GaryDainton
KatsZenJammer
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build - Page 2 Empty Re: A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 15 Aug 2019, 8:10 pm

Guys, thanks so much for the positive reinforcement A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build - Page 2 3887228019

I suppose everyone gets the heebie jeebies when it comes to putting stuff out there for truly public consumption - I mean, a members forum is sort of public but it's not like 'the world' is passing through on a regular basis.

I mentioned this to my lady and she had the same reaction as you guys, namely, "Are you crazy? Why are you thinking that?"

So a new aspect of this project comes to light - getting Kats to get over this particular neurosis.

Amazing how a 'hobby' can be a tool and gateway for all kinds of therapy. First was the whole notion of taking on something long-term and hugely intimidating, trying to do something I considered impossible from the start. Then there was all the 'new stuff' where I had to expand my boundaries and start working way outside my comfort zone. Then came the push to not give up, to soldier on through and actually complete something where my ambition greatly exceeded my abilities.

You'd think after all that something as simple as entering a contest wouldn't seem overwhelming, lol.

I promise to keep chipping away at this particular wall - if there's one thing I've proven to myself it's that I can be very persistent.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build - Page 2 Empty Re: A Steamcycle - an extreme kit bash/scratch build

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2019, 10:01 pm

Dude, you really need to take this to a show. Trophies and awards aside, it's about providing inspiration to other builders, and showing others what can be accomplished without expensive laths and mills.

Ya the accolades of an award is obvious, but the real plus is getting to talk to other builders, see their builds and being part of a live community. There something to be said for face to face interaction, bonding with other builders, commiserating about the struggle to get your build to the end, rejoicing with others about the accomplishment of finishing it, and getting your build to the show.  I am hooked on the atmosphere at the shows and meeting new builders and making new friends.
Do it you won't be sorry. I wish I lived closer I be knocking on your door to get you to a show. 😊

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Fri 16 Aug 2019, 11:19 am

Kats...

I agree with you and Curt here on it and your thoughts of building as a therapy. Me I have always loved to build/restore them from childhood but now days I find its good for me to keep as active and mentally active as possible being disabled. It helps occupy much time for me and with numb finger tips from the nerve damage I find new ways to do things with them when I build or work on them. its my escape from things at times too helps keep my mind off the pains. Something as awesome as your steam cycle should be shared for public viewing it will inspire others and the young ones just starting in this hobby life...they will see what one can do if they want to try. Id bet it would wow all the other contestants as well...its a masterpiece.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Fri 16 Aug 2019, 6:21 pm

Just show it Kats, and don't expect anything.

See what happens!
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Pee Sat 24 Aug 2019, 8:07 pm

Kats - I’m a newbie here, but I have to agree with Curt and the others, specifically the inspirational elements of work displayed in shows. I completely get your concern about putting something “out there”. - there will be those who are jealous, envious or just plain nasty, but really they aren’t the audience this work of art is for. The audience is those who aspire, those who dream, those who have ideas but fear failure in the process. They are the ones who need to see this and hear the creation story, which speaks to dreams, perseverance and ultimately surmounting a personal Everest. It is an incredible build, easily worthy of publication in a magazine like Finescale. In fact, I would compare it favourably to a steampunk train shown in an issue of “Damaged” not long ago!

Go with “just show it and don’t expect anything “.

You have my greatest respect!
Gee Pee
Gee Pee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2