Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

+10
Geezerman
disabled modeler
webby
kpnuts
beowulf
harron68
GaryDainton
Skid
RetiredMike
KatsZenJammer
14 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by RetiredMike Sun 07 Jul 2019, 1:48 pm

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by Geezerman Mon 08 Jul 2019, 10:47 am

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 13 Jul 2019, 6:21 pm

Thanks for looking in gentlemen  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

Gary - cool, it seems that you can get Anything on EBay, lol. If the base was bigger I'd be tempted to work in a fish 'n chips stand ...

Bits of progress on the bits. The little wrench is 3/8 inch scaled to 1.5 mm - I was going to make a 1/4 inch wrench but now I'm thinking not as one of the nut drivers scales to that size and the pliers work in that range. Also the beginnings of the small hammer that every tool kit needs. This is based on a ball and peen finishing hammer in my own real tool kit and scaled accordingly. Both the handle and the head are worked from the same size styrene rod (3.2 mm). Basically just careful carving with X-Acto knives.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd88

The initial idea of the hammer. Looking at this pic I realized the peen part was a tad long and the handle was a bit clunky so more adjustments came after.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd89

The wrenches and hammer after more work. The debate is whether to add more detail to the wrench handles in the form of insets and/or ridges along the edges - how much is too much ... The handle for the hammer has been smoothed out and the peen on the head has been reduced by about 0.75 mm.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd90

And that's about it for the 'basic' tools at this point - wrenches (static and adjustable), screwdrivers, nut drivers, lots of pliers and a hammer covers the range I wanted. Still need to make a smallish 'igniter' rod for the burner (the current concept is a modified fireplace poker with an oily rag attached to one end). Some basic stuff like small push rods will be easy enough, these might fall by the wayside or not, we'll see.

Next comes the slightly more involved stuff like a small oiler can (lever style), possibly some small cans for extra water and two types of fuel (this is a 'maybe/maybe not' idea), and the tool rolls themselves. Probably two rolls, one larger for the bigger tools and a small one. Thinking about 'spare parts'  as well, this will depend on if I can find some of the unused experiments from the steamcycle build.

After that, or maybe even during, will come the elaborate accessories like gloves/gauntlets, goggles, maybe a riding hat or helmet and the weaponry which is kind of de rigueur for the steampunk theme. The ambitious concept was for a rifle, pistol, sword and knife but further reflection has modified that to a large knife, kind of bayonet style but not as long as a sword, and a sidearm pistol but no rifle. This decision was made for purely practical reasons - though it may seem all cool and romantic having a long rifle and sword on a motorcycle is logistically unrealistic in terms of geometry. Also, there is the consideration of where all this stuff would be slung, stored and otherwise carried on the steamcycle.

Maybe it's time to consider a backpack ...

Oh, and if anyone has any ideas about stuff I haven't mentioned or included feel free to toss it into the ring - I'm not a motorcycle rider so there's lots of practical considerations I have probably missed.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 14 Jul 2019, 1:11 pm

GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Jul 2019, 1:31 pm

Huge amount of admiration and respect for your skills, creativity, foresight and I think most of all I admire your commitment to this entire project.

For as long as I live, and my memory continues to work, I will never forget this build.

I have even taken screen shots and created a picture file just for your project. It really is a master piece of art.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 2056302049

Last edited by Plastic Freak on Sun 21 Jul 2019, 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 16 Jul 2019, 6:45 pm

As usual I,m at a total loss for words!!!!! SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 21 Jul 2019, 12:21 am

Guys, thanks for the very, very, very kind comments and encouragement  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

Gary - thanks for that link. I've mostly been browsing Pinterest up to now, must remember DA for future reference.

Curt - thanks for finding a much more respectable way to describe what's going on with me (usually I use terms like obsessive, compulsive, neurotic, nit picky and just plain stupid, lol).

The small hammer done for now. I shifted from a wood handle to metal, so the handle top is now rounded like a bolt head.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd91

The hand tools arrayed. Also included is the sparker for the lamps made a few years ago. Next comes the paint for all the plastic stuff.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd92

The beginnings of the 'lighter rod' and the oiler can. I don't know the proper name for it, but the lighter rod is modelled after a fireplace poker but instead of a half-a-fleur-di-lys looking poker end it's going to have a wad of oily fabric. The concept is that to light the boiler/burner one has to light one of the lamps with the sparker, then light the wad of oily rag, then stick that into the lighter hole on the right side of the boiler/burner. The oiler can body is 6mm styrene tube thickened with 2 layers of cut down larger tube slit and curled in to fit. The gap is in case I want to add a seam on the side ... still pending.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd93

The handle of the lighter rod after some carving, additions, grooving and so forth. Again this is being worked up 'on the source rod' to make manipulating it easier.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd94

The body of the oiler can sans seam. Diameter roughly 8 mm.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd95

The lighter rod after some more work. The handle has been cut from the source rod at this point and the end of the rod proper had been thickened slightly with strips of thin styrene.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd96

Missed a step where I drilled out the end of the rod and added a bit of smaller styrene rod to affix the oily wad material to. Then came the process of figuring out what material would work best for the oily wad which is meant to be lit on fire and in the end I went with some cotton from a Q-Tip affixed with PVA (aka white glue). I'm going to tap very tiny amounts of super thin CA to insure the bond. So, basically, this is a large (scale just over a foot), fancy, flaming Q-Tip, lol.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd97

The oiler can body bottom is sealed and the top is set up for an indent. Also, the cap takes form, where the pump and the spigot will sit. Still debating the form of the spigot but I want to stay away from modern style flexible style designs.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd98

And it wouldn't really be part of the overall concept if I didn't start having second thoughts - this time it's the sheer amount of stuff I need to find a place for on the Steamcycle. But I'm going to call that uncertainty and try to keep on heedlessly careening down this vague and undefined path. After all, in the world of scale modelling it's all about imagination even when the goal is reality.

Time to change my signature ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 21 Jul 2019, 5:09 pm

Simply breathtaking Kats. SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Sun 21 Jul 2019, 7:44 pm

Hi Mr K,

WOW, you are taking this piece of art to a new level Sir, your detailing is out of this world...SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Bow10

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Mon 22 Jul 2019, 1:25 pm

An awesome set of tools, sir.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Tue 23 Jul 2019, 10:54 pm

Thanks for looking in and for the very kind comments  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

Got some extra crafting going on due to a bum shoulder which is keeping me home. Not serious but as I have a manual labour day job the physical considerations are more prominent. It's also curtailing my computer time due to the logistics being uncomfortable - but I can (and do) fiddle with plastic bits without any issues so here we go ...

The oiler can body after more shaping and stuff and the cap with the start of the pump assembly in place. Note, the ridged edge at the bottom of the cap was achieved the old fashioned way of careful knife and pin scraping ... a lot of pin scraping.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steamd99

The pump assembly taken to a stop point, the cap affixed to the body and the spigot takes form. I didn't want to make a modern style gooseneck (bendy spiral metal, we've all seen it) so an old fashioned hinge-style folding spigot was called for. Spigot tube is a piece of 18 gauge copper wire and the long bit of styrene rod is for the nozzle.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam100

The pump lever was formed from the thin frame portion of PE detailing for an IJN battleship. First the sides were bent over, using a chunk of 2mm styrene square rod for the forming. Then the hole for the pump spigot feed was drilled through. Then it was bent and the fold for the back was worked in.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam101

The 'bottom' of the lever shaped and curved.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam102

The spigot nozzle tip formed from styrene rod - when possible I use a small drill vise for ease of control.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam103

The spigot with completed plastic bits and the pump lever covered with self-adhesive copper foil. The foil was added to increase the thickness of the PE just a touch.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam104

And an oiler ready for painting. The metals parts were affixed using medium thick CA. The only thing I might add is a few dents in the can to 'age' it somewhat ... or maybe not.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam105

Next up on the plate are some weapons - namely a knife and a Steampunk-y pistol of some sort. Though there are plans and reference photos for both I'm feeling the urge for some improvisation so we'll have to see what happens with those.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Jul 2019, 11:28 pm

Stellar work Kats!

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 24 Jul 2019, 12:44 pm

BRILLIANT!!!
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 24 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Wed 24 Jul 2019, 2:18 pm

Nice. SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 27 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, y'all SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

This post is all about a knife, or maybe dagger is a more accurate term.

Starting with the blade, this is roughly 8 1/2 inches long in scale. The inner base shape was formed from 0.5 mm sheet and includes the tang. The thickening on the sides is also 0.5 mm sheet styrene. Shaping and forming was done using a curved knife blade initially.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam106

The crosspiece blank formed from 2 mm square rod. Can't really see it here but a channel for the tang was drilled through then cleaned up with a #11 X-Acto blade.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam107

The handle blank takes form - two pieces cut from 0.75 mm sheet and spacers cut from 0.5 mm sheet to form the groove for the tang.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam108

Test fit and everything seems to be going smoothly.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam109

Carving and shaping ... and somewhere during the process the tang snapped off, lol. This was to be expected and isn't really a set back as the tang was there mostly for the initial alignment.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam110

Further development to the handle and crosspiece. To secure the smaller plastic detailing I used MEK for the initial gluing then followed up with thin CA for strengthening.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam111

The 'personality' of the dagger emerges. The ridges on the handle are rough because the plan is to wrap that portion of the handle with cord after initial painting. The 'blade catcher' spikes on the crosspiece aren't what I had originally planned but a lot of reference material I saw has similar designs and this seemed easier and more practical than some of the more ornate, swirly designs I had in mind.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam112

The dagger is almost at the 'done for now' stage, pics of that in the next post. Also being developed is the pistol which will be featured in the next post.

Getting to the point where the considerations are going to shift to wardrobe bits, namely goggles and gauntlets. The consideration here is the lack of recent experience with 'soft' materials so I might hold off on starting these and get in some practical exercise with the tool rolls and such. A shout out to Gary for past references as far as potential building materials goes.

And then there's the frame for the base ... gotta get around to that soon ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Jul 2019, 6:32 pm

Another example of your master craftsmanship skills.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:25 am

Brilliant Kats, that will look stunning when painted.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:15 pm

Awesome evolution of that knife.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 29 Jul 2019, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, folks  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

The dagger at the 'done for now' stage. Further development has been halted because I want to work up the pistol first then come back to this when the embellishment detailing begins.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam113

Speaking of pistols, the first piece of it is, of course, the barrel. This is 3.2 mm styrene round rod and the choice for projectile size is 9mm so the bore was scaled accordingly at 1.5 mm.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam114

After many months of debating the choice of iron sights or optical scope the winner was the scope for the simple reason that a big scope on a pistol looks more Steampunk-y. 3.2 mm and 5 mm rod pieces were used for the initial blank forming.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam115

The scope starts to develop its shape and the eyepiece makes its appearance.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam116

Missed a few steps but the scope is now at the 'stop' stage until it's time to figure out how to mount it to the pistol proper. To avoid having to actually make lenses I went the easy route of closed lens covers on hinges. At the bottom is the ammo tube.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam117

The handle of the pistol appears. The concept for the pistol has morphed and mutated over time - at this point its a hybrid of a classic flintlock duelling pistol with all kinds of alternate additions, such as the ammo tube and scope.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam118

The initial trigger concept and the basis for the trigger guard. Making the trigger from styrene was fun ... no it wasn't, lol. This is the third or fourth version as the previous ones flew away into the ether whilst being worked on. The guard is annealed 18 gauge copper wire flattened and shaped with jewelry pliers of various types.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam119

More development, the ammo tube is now affixed and the 'stock' of the pistol body begins to form. The trigger guard initial concept is a bit big, the plan is to reduce it slightly.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam120

The barrel has a mount point and the next iteration of the trigger takes shape. The plastic trigger was just too chunky and so the redo involved copper wire annealed, flattened and shaped. Still in progress.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam121

Side panels coming up. There is a spacer tab (which will be hidden) for the barrel.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam122

The barrel is affixed and the side and top panels as well.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam123

Throughout the whole Steamcycle project there has been the pendulum swing between 'plausible realism' and 'Steampunk magic/tech' and usually the plausible realism side has won out. For the pistol I'm trying to push the pendulum more to the magic/tech end because, frankly, there isn't enough of that side of the Steampunk thing and an ideal place for this is the sidearm - an essential part of the Steampunk wardrobe.

So, the basis started with a flintlock duelling pistol which was given an ammo tube (inspired by old rifles like the Winchester '73). The next steps are to add more weirdness in the form of a binary propellant system instead of black powder, two small tanks which will sit under the ammo tube. There will be a hammer to ignite the propellant. The concept I'm using to guide the evolution is that when the hammer is cocked this injects a small amount of the binary propellant into the firing chamber, hammer falls and the propellant explodes driving the projectile (ball shot, not tapered bullets). Part of the combustion gas is vented to the ammo tube which drives the next ball into the firing chamber. So there will be plumbing, which makes and firearm look Steampunk-y. This is a single shot - no double action or sliding bolt action stuff. And the plan is to make a 'reload' set of tanks for the binary fuel propellant tanks.

Things had to get weird eventually.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 30 Jul 2019, 1:43 pm

Very cool concept. SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Wed 31 Jul 2019, 6:21 pm

Thanks for looking in and for the supportive comment, Mike  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 3887228019

Taking advantage of the injury-imposed downtime from the day job - progression occurs.

Test fit shot with the barrel/tube brace near the front.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam124

The binary propellant tanks take form, though they kind of look like elongated Tic-Tacs at this point. The pistol body also starts to take more form.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam125

The hammer takes form. This will be static so the blank is set into a slot cut into the body. You can see the pencil outlines still on the plastic. Also, more body detail - I was inspired to give it a fake revolver kind of look.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam126

Development of the hammer. The striker front portion was thickened on either side and the rear bit was formed from a portion of 10 mm styrene tube.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam127

Oblique top view of the hammer a bit later in development.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam128

The mounting zone for the propellant tanks which doubles as an ammo tube brace.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam129

The scope mount zone aka barrel brace in place.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam130

Test fit of the stuff developed so far. The trigger guard has been streamlined a bit as it seemed too chunky and big.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam131

And after looking at the photos I realized that the handle was a tad too long so I sawed 3 to 4 mm off the butt.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam132

Reshaped the butt and re-attached.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 3 Steam133

These posts have been deceptive because they give the impression that I'm working quickly - and this is most assuredly not the case, lol.

Next up is figuring out the mounting for the scope and adding more details to the scope once that's figured out. As well the mounting for the propellant tanks which will involve the capability of quick removal and reload. There is also a vague concept forming for a shroud or some sort of 'over structure' for the open barrel zone. And plumbing ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 01 Aug 2019, 6:20 am

Captivating work as usual Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Aug 2019, 2:24 pm

Katz buddy, I don't think you can part with this build, you keep thinking of more and more to add.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next