Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

+10
Geezerman
disabled modeler
webby
kpnuts
beowulf
harron68
GaryDainton
Skid
RetiredMike
KatsZenJammer
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by RetiredMike Mon 29 Apr 2019, 1:56 pm

Either looks great. The direct sun looks preferable doe photos, but the cool bluish cast is typical of an evening view.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 2:23 pm

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731
The tiny details you want to add will really make it Kats.

Back to top Go down

Post by kpnuts Tue 14 May 2019, 6:37 am

That's an awesome looking base and the cycle will look great on it. You really put an awful lot of work and thought into your modelling mate.

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 09 Jun 2019, 12:53 am

Thanks for the positivity, fellows  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 3887228019

I renamed this thread to include the accessories since it's all part of the same diorama.

During the final assembly of the steamcycle I hit stages where I needed to step away, either to allow glue to set up or for me to recover and regain the ability to not shake, lol. The accessories I chose to work on first are the hand tools, a simpler set of stuff and it allows me to get the building mojo back (after a year of painting the hands have learned a whole different set of muscle memories).

Pliers - there will be two of this style, one slightly larger. The real pliers are about 7 inches long and you can see the outline sketch of the scale version on the piece of styrene to the right. I also included the first accessory bit - the flint striker made a few years ago during a stall in the overall build process.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd42

Skipped a few steps but here are the halves ready to be affixed together.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd43

These will be the small pliers, methinks.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd44

And a scale comparison.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd45

I'm hoping this next portion of the overall project will proceed without to many stalls. Planned tools are screwdrivers, wrenches, ratcheting pliers, an oil can, a lighter rod, stuff like that.

The dio base still needs to be framed but I kind of like how dark it turned out so I might not do much more detailing or lightening, more pics of that to come.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Sun 09 Jun 2019, 3:05 am

That's fantastic work. Looks real enough to strike a spark off!
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 09 Jun 2019, 7:08 pm

Great stuff Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2019, 12:37 am

Really great work Katz.

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Mon 10 Jun 2019, 11:23 am

I have no clue how I missed this but that is pretty cool... SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Wed 12 Jun 2019, 2:55 pm

Great work, Katz.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 15 Jun 2019, 9:55 pm

Thanks all for the positivity and motivation  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 3887228019

So having not documented the steps making the first set of pliers I am making up for that. First I outline the shape of the piece on sheet styrene and cut it out. This next set is going to be slightly larger than the first.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd49

For this style of pliers the two pieces are clones so I use double sided (ATG) tape to affix the first piece to sheet styrene then cut out the second piece.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd50

Initial shaping and matching is done while the pieces are stuck together which makes it a lot easier. Once satisfied with the initial shaping the pieces are carefully separated and the adhesive removed.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd51

The next step is fiddly shaping with the pieces in proper pliers alignment. It's surprising how much adjustment needs to be made for a realistic looking fit.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd52

Once the pieces have been shaped to near where they should be the thickening of portions happens. Heres the extra layer of sheet styrene being added to the proper areas.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd53

Remove excess and shape, check fit, shape some more and so on. Once satisfied drill a hinge hole in approximately the correct location for pliers. Continue shaping and fine tuning with the hinge in place.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd54

Next comes the 'slip hole' for the expandable aspect of the pliers. Note that these aren't functional so everything is being made to give the appearance of functionality only.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd55

Affix the pieces. For working on the pieces the brass wire hinge was perfect but I chose to use styrene rod for the glueing. At this point shape the hinge bolt parts, rounded bolt head on one side and the nut/bolt portion for the other.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd56

Glue the hinge bolt parts in place, making sure they are aligned on either side. The two basic pliers are ready for painting.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd57

Next for the toolkit are the screwdrivers and those need handles. These are the large handles, 2 of them, being formed from 3.2 mm styrene square rod and beefed up with strips of 0.75 mm thick sheet. Step one is lay on two sides.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd58

Sand down the one little bit of sheet sticking out on the one side then lay on the other two bits of sheet.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd59

For 6 screwdrivers I made 2 large handles as shown, one handle only thickened on 2 sides, 2 using the 3.2 mm unmodified square rod and a small one formed from 2 mm square rod thickened ever so slightly on two sides with 0.2 mm styrene sheet strips.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd60

Start shaping. When looking through images of antique tool sets and stuff I found that the mismatched collections had the most character from my view so I going to try and vary the handle styles a bit while trying to clone styles across sizes, if that makes sense.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd61

The work might be a bit fiddly but it is a lot of fun to make stuff that there are references for. So much easier than having to invent it, lol.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 16 Jun 2019, 12:02 pm

Coming along a treat Kats, details to bring the final display to life.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 16 Jun 2019, 1:07 pm

Caught up.
I am mesmerized and enthralled as the WIPs of the bike itself !
Nice work, Kaz !
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

Fantastic as usual Katz.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 24 Jun 2019, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words, fellows  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 3887228019

The next tools on the list were a pair of tongue and groove adjustable pliers. As these required two different pieces I chose to create templates from card stock paper first. Affix these to sheet styrene with double sided tape and cut out.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd70

The intent was to make two different pliers here so after cutting out the first set they were affixed to sheet styrene to provide an outline. Then the outline was modified slightly before cutting out.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd71

The result is two slightly different sets of pliers.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd72

Cutting out the slot for the pliers - multiple drilling followed by careful cutting with the #11 X-Acto. The curved black lines are estimates for the grooves.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd73

I neglected to document or mention the thickening of the pieces. The half with the grooves cut in is slightly thicker than the other side so I adjusted accordingly. This is after thickening and balancing and all that stuff.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd74

A slightly mismatched screwdriver handle set.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd75

The four 'square' handles get flat head shafts. From what I've been able to determine the screwdrivers from that era were almost all flat, differing heads like the Phillips (plus-sign) and Robertson (square) seem to have come later, though I might be off base here. In order of size the shafts were formed from 18 gauge copper, 20 gauge brass, 22 gauge brass and 24 gauge copper. All but the 24 gauge were annealed with a hand torch to make them easier to work. The tips was formed with flat jewelry pliers which were bent out of true so the tips no longer meet flush - inconvenient for precision work but great for making stuff like small screwdriver tips. These have also been blackened with Jax oxidizer to ad the colour as well as etch the surface so that paint will adhere better.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd76

I might have been thinking about nut drivers from the start but this felt more like a modification to an existing plan. 18 gauge copper and 20 gauge brass similar to the first two screwdrivers for the shafts. The heads are 2mm and 1.5 mm styrene rod. The finicky part was drilling the shaft holes first then cutting the bit off the rod then drilling the other hole for the nut. The nut holes are going to remain circles unless I can figure out a way to 'hex' them. This is a shot pre-blackening.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd77

The next set of tools will be some static wrenches - I have some pics of old style ones which are fancy and weird so I might try to replicate them. Failing that the wrenches will be the generic ones seen hanging from pegboard posts in garages all over the planet.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Mon 24 Jun 2019, 6:27 pm

Fabulous work on the tools.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 24 Jun 2019, 7:04 pm

Brilliant work Kats SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

Kats man, I really hope you take this master piece to model shows. People would LOVE to see this, people need to see this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 26 Jun 2019, 12:51 pm

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 26 Jun 2019, 1:00 pm

Plastic Freak wrote:Kats man, I really hope you take this master piece to model shows. People would LOVE to see this, people need to see this.

Totally agree Curt, in fact I think Kats should bring it to my house because I need to see it SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 4233681232
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 30 Jun 2019, 2:00 am

Many thanks, guys.  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 3887228019

Curt - though I don't travel much I have always planned to put the Steamcycle & Dio into our local IPMS annual show - the Metro Vancouver chapter holds it's event in October's, I believe. I haven't joined yet simply because getting to meetings and such is problematic with my work schedule - hopefully that will change for the better in the not too distant future.

Gary - if I was able to travel about as I wished I'd certainly organize my circuit to include visits to the various members of Skid's Fellowship. All I need to do is win the Lottery, lol.

We start with the done for now tongue and groove pliers. You can see evidence of the re-do's and stuff in the form of Sharpie ink inclusion and some pencil lines here and there.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd78

For the next experiment I wanted to replicate an odd looking vintage adjustable wrench. Copper wire of approx 2 mm thickness bent into the rough form and the nut with which threads would be cut into one of the posts.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd79

After discovering that it wouldn't work the way I'd hoped with the copper wire the move to ever-dependable styrene took place. I chose to pass on the cool twisted handle look in favour of the straight wasp waist style because I value my sanity, lol. However, I did manage to thread one of the plastic rods with the aforementioned nut.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd80

The basic form takes shape.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd81

Details added. The adjustment ring was made by texturing the outside of round rod - heat up a file ever so slightly and roll the rod along the roughness.  Drill out appropriate sized bore and then cut from the rod itself.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd82

Done for now. As with the pliers I'm gong to be wrapping the handle portion with 'cord' eventually. For this it's just the wasp waist part which will be wrapped.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd83

Gotta have some static wrenches. I re-confirmed the sizes of the various nuts and bolts on the Steamcycle and will be sizing the wrenches accordingly. These are the 1 1/4" and 1" wrenches (5mm and 4mm respectively).
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd84

The 1 1/4" wrench takes form. The offset head is basically copied from actual vintage wrenches - they came up with some really weird ideas back in the day.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd85

The 1 1/4" and 1" wrenches develop, the 3/4" and 5/8" (3mm and 2.5mm respectively) wrenches in mid form.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd86

And as all this is going on thoughts of tool rolls, oil cans and other such things circle ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 30 Jun 2019, 10:49 am

No petrol/gas can required SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 30 Jun 2019, 11:21 am

Super cool !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 02 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

Awesome tiny work.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jul 2019, 3:33 pm

There is no end to your imagination and skill. Always a pleasure viewing your progress.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 06 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm

Thanks for the props, fellows  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 3887228019

Gary - no gas can in the traditional sense but I am mulling over thoughts of water and two types of boiler fuel and the oil can is a definite must given the 'Victorian' nature of the machine. And, just because my brain refuses to stop trying to make my life more difficult, I've been having thoughts about lunch kits ... what would be the best way to fashion a 1/6 scale Cornish Pastie ...

A rather busy week for me, working at a place known as a Tourist Destination (specifically Granville Island in Vancouver) during the Canada Day/U.S. Independence Day week definitely curtails the amount of free time and post-work energy thing. However, I did manage to do enough for one photo.

The previously shown four wrenches further along in development. All that was done was adding some thin styrene strips along the shaft/head interface to help with creating the curves to unify the increase in thickness. Putty and clean up work yet to come.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 2 Steamd87

Still more, smaller, wrenches planned. As well, there will hopefully be a small hammer and other 'usual' things coming.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next