Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

+7
kpnuts
Speed Racer 65
dublin boy
GaryDainton
Skid
KatsZenJammer
RetiredMike
11 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Empty Re: The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 13 Jun 2019, 3:50 am

Excellent mod work! The detailing and additions have added a lot without taking away from the original look, excellently done.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Empty Re: The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2019, 5:49 am

Great looking build. I built this one a couple years ago...nothing to this level, but had fun building it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Jun 2019, 4:36 pm

Thanks for the interest and encouragement guys I really appreciate it.

A small update. I started the process of carving out the upper ridge lines on the fins. As designed, they reminded me more of a fish dorsal fin then a wing. I hope this turns out, so far so good, but all could go wrong once complete.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6014

I am also trying to work out a method of attaching a raised ridge line along the entire body starting as a taper from the fins upper ridge line and continuing down the entire length of the fenders. The challenge is to exicute it so as it remains straight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Jun 2019, 5:24 pm

Major body mods there... I commend you on that, I don't think my patience would allow for that haha. Very nice work and effort!!

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 15 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm

I like the look of the 'smoother' fins, fiddly work but worth it.

The raised ridge is problematic - my first thought is to use thin styrene strips (0.015" x 0.030" or equivalent) which are bendy and easy to form along curves. Tiny taps of thin MEK-type cement are enough to both affix and remove the strips. Once the base footprint is laid on build up the depth with more strips then shape.

Don't know if this idea is workable but I offer it just in case there's something to it.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

Ron: Thanks for the kind words. I really have to push myself to stay focused and push through some of these mods and weigh the work/reward factor.  

Katz: Thanks for encouragement and the suggestion. It has spark an idea I am going to try. Not sure if it will pan out or be worth the effort.

The edge radius, is quit large which would require a ton of filling/sanding. I picked up some triangle shape styrene rod of different sizes, maybe one of these will fit the bill for this edging/lip mod I have.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6015

Until then here are a couple shots of the modified carved out fins. So far I am happy with the results.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6016
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6017

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 18 Jun 2019, 7:05 pm

This is coming along a treat Curt The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2019, 2:18 am

Thanks Gary.

A quick update.

I was successful in adding on the fender/body lip extensions. I ended up used 2.5mm triangle rod. Once the glue sets I can get to shaping, filling and fine tuning the look.

Thanks for looking in.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6022
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6021
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6023
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6024

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Wed 19 Jun 2019, 5:49 am

Fins look great. And that sharp edge gives it a mean new look.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 19 Jun 2019, 7:24 pm

Looking nice Curt, lots of intricate work going on there.

All matt black like the movie car? Or are you going to go mad on the paint?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2019, 7:36 pm

Thanks boys.

Shay, I will be painting it gloss black with semi gloss patterns of some sort. Not much real estate to play with on the body, somit will be minimal.

I am also going to put the red/orange pin striping like the TV car, and red bats on the wheel hubs. This is a tribute of sorts to the TV car.

Just as a bit of movie info for any movie car buffs, the movie car is/was actually painted a very dark green. The reason it was painted green is black is hard to capture, dark green looks black on screen.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 19 Jun 2019, 9:33 pm

True about the green Curt, when the Jag F1 team started out, they wanted a British racing green paintjob, but it looked black to the TV cameras, so the went for a much lighter metallic green.

Keep going!
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Wed 19 Jun 2019, 9:57 pm

Plastic Freak wrote:
Just as a bit of movie info for any movie car buffs, the movie car is/was actually painted a very dark green. The reason it was painted green is black is hard to capture, dark green looks black on screen.

I remember you mentioning this a few years ago with the original Bat Mobile which inspired me to try out the technique with the 69 charger I did using Nato Black. So a very belated thanks for that tip. I wish I had the body sculpting skills you have, it would have made my Celica a bit easier.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 20 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

This is great Curt, really looking good now.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Jun 2019, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the interest guys, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing that info Shay, interesting stuff.

Good memory Dave, that was back in 2011. I remeber you mentioning your build in relation to using the NATO black.
As for the sculpting skills, it baptismal by fire, lots of scraping and eye balling, more sanding, scraping etc etc. Thanks for the props. It has most certainly opened another avenue for scratch building option.

I think I will be using the NATO black again on this build along with the same gold pearl clear coat. It really does look pretty cool in person.

Gary, thanks for the kind words.

I have to redo the drivers side body lip. It is not in the right location in relation to the right side. My anxiety was pretty high that night while doing this.
Anxiety plays havoc my concentration and focus, cognitively speaking. So frustrating.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6025

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 2:45 am

Fixed the messed up lip. And started to shape the other one.The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6026

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:09 am

That symmetrical to me now Curt, great craftsmanship.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 3:08 pm

Thanks very much Gary.

This mod is rather challenging, I have already buggered the panel lines I scribed oh so carefully. I 'think/hope' I'll be able to fix the issue. It's going to be very disappointing it I can't.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Fri 21 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

You'll nail it my friend. The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Fri 21 Jun 2019, 6:35 pm

X2
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Jun 2019, 3:30 pm

Thanks boy.

Not much of an update, just wanted to keep things moving forward. Lost of scraping, sanding and filling, then repeat going on.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6027
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6029
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6028

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 23 Jun 2019, 11:03 am

Doesn't look too far from primer Curt The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 23 Jun 2019, 2:57 pm

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 1705482731 The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2019, 4:02 pm

Thanks Gary&Mike.

A few more tiny mods. The centre ridge on the cockpit canopy, I also repositioned the two window a bit farther back and gave them a slightly steeper rack towards the back.
The rear fenders still did not look right and out of place as they always have. So with a deep breath I decided to add some .030 triangle ridges.
The silly rear louvers have also been removed. I have yet to settle on what to do with the entire back lump. Sooooo ugly and out of place, but I guess it did tie into the original crappy design of a cartoonish looking vehicle.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6111
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 3 Img_6110

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 25 Jun 2019, 4:57 pm

Nice - the lump probably stores the massive Bat-chute.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next