Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

+7
kpnuts
Speed Racer 65
dublin boy
GaryDainton
Skid
KatsZenJammer
RetiredMike
11 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Empty Re: The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

Post by kpnuts Fri 12 Jul 2019, 8:32 pm

Amazing work.

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Empty Re: The Batmobile from the '89 movie,

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:21 pm

Excellent body work! And as for the little squares I can offer the advice, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." This is going to be fantastic with paint.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Sun 14 Jul 2019, 12:59 am

Hi Curt,

I've been watching this build come to life, which look's AWESOME by the way, I really love all the extra detailing you've done and are doing to it, it really brings it more to life, just a small thought for you with the parachute, you mentioned that you might pop in a sliding cover for it, if you did, you could maybe use some small magnets to hold in the chute, if you did, you could try to make an open chute using an old plain handkerchief or small piece of cloth, sew in some cord to each of the corners and feed them back to the chute compartment, just as if Batman had just used the chute to slow down or something and have it trailed behind the vehicle, and with using magnets to hold the chute in, you could change it round to having the unopened chute, that way you could just take the car and wouldn't have to take the whole dio to shows (hope that makes some sense, it was just a passing thought :) )...

So looking forward to seeing this with paint and finished...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 16 Jul 2019, 6:34 pm

Excellent work as usual Curt. The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2019, 12:43 am

Gary, Ken, Kats, Andy, Al: thanks for checking in guys I really do appreciate all the interest.

Katz, yup one step at a time, I've been down this road a few times. Only this road I have someone caring the load of cutting the squares on a vinyl cutting plotter. Going to use this guys services for some real elaborate paint down the road.

Andy, good ideas, been working through some more ideas after our last convo/messaging. I am working out the scene for a washed out road, perhaps a bridge.  My thoughts exactly on switching up between the two chutes, open and unopen, brilliant.

I have to say, between you and retired Mike this para chute idea has really grown legs. I just have figure out how to execute thenideas now.

Guys, it's going to be awhile yet before we see any actual paint on this, ugh.

Sooooo many little imperfections here and there. All good, I'll stay the course and see it through. Hard to resist putting it aside for now, but I will forge on.
I am also waiting to hear back from the guy I have cutting the squares and other stuff I asked him for.

You can see many of the imperfections in the pics.

I am afraid I've hit a bit of a snag which has caused a set back. I mistakenly shot Acrylic primer, I knew it was acrylic just didn't think it through, I got stuck on wanting a light guide coat, doh. Now I have to let it sit over night then shoot the entire shell with an intercoat of polyurethane to seal the acrylic primer in order to continue with the Duplicolor Polyester filler lacquer primer.

Hmmmmm on second thought that will cause an issue for sanding. I won't be able to sand through the poly-u at the same rate as the primers causing high spots.
What to do.
..........thinking.
Think I will shoot a dust coat of decanted lacquer primer over this stuff, little by little sealing it.

Oh well as I have said before 'we learn from our mistakes, and I should be brilliant by now'.

Progress none the less.

And I really like how the Model Masters acrylic primer sprays. All their acrylics I have used to date spray really nice and have good coverage.

I recently picked up some Vallejo Fluorescent Red for the pin stripping.

Thanks for looking in.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6210
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6212
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6211
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6214

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Thu 18 Jul 2019, 2:03 am

I have a very nice open parachute from back in the day. I think it was from an old MPC top fuel dragster.

Yours if you want it Curt, I can send the Lowrider wheels with it.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2019, 3:16 am

dublin boy wrote:I have a very nice open parachute  from back in the day. I think it was from an old MPC  top fuel dragster.

Thanks a ton Shay, no need to send it, save the on packing size. I have a number of them from those Revell drag kits too.

As Andy suggested, I may pose the chute either completely collapsed or partially collapsed. Either way it will be bigger then those drag chutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 18 Jul 2019, 5:17 pm

Imperfections!!!!! where????

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 18 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

Bodywork progress is very enjoyable, no rush for paint.
Keep up the great work Curt.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Thu 18 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

Plastic Freak wrote:
dublin boy wrote:I have a very nice open parachute  from back in the day. I think it was from an old MPC  top fuel dragster.

Thanks a ton Shay, no need to send it, save the on packing size. I have a number of them from those Revell drag kits too.

As Andy suggested, I may pose the chute either completely collapsed or partially collapsed. Either way it will be bigger then those drag chutes.

I was wondering how to box it up small. lol

You still at Panabaker Drive?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2019, 10:40 pm

dublin boy wrote:
Plastic Freak wrote:

I was wondering how to box it up small. lol

You still at Panabaker Drive?

We've moved twice since then. Lol. I'll send ya the new address.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Fri 19 Jul 2019, 12:44 am

Sound.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 20 Jul 2019, 11:33 pm

Excellent progress! The primer coat really 'solidifies' all the modding, very nice result. Don't know much about the whole lacquer over acrylic issue but I'm sure you'll figure it out. I think you'll like the Vallejo colour quality, the more I use their stuff the more I find myself shifting from Tamiya acrylics as the default for AB.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Jul 2019, 2:54 pm

Thanks Shay

Kats, thanks for the input of the Vallejo paint. After doing some more research it looks like Createx will be the paint I end up switching over to. Tons of wild colours, tons of candies, and a clear coat/seal system and it's all acrylic. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

One step closer to some colour.
I shot a number of coats this morning, I will let it sit until Monday to fully cure. Then shoot some white Tamiya gloss, then the real fun begins.

I have my squares ready to go, 3000 in total, The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1578238153

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6227
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6226
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6228

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Fri 26 Jul 2019, 4:44 pm

Very smooth, very flawless, very nice. You have put a lot of effort into this job and deserve the results.
I am jealous.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Jul 2019, 5:42 pm

Mr Hirakawa wrote:Very smooth, very flawless, very nice. You have put a lot of effort into this job and deserve the results.
I am jealous.

Cheers Dave, I really appreciate it.
You have absolutly nothing to be jealous of your skills and dedication are something I wish I possessed.

I just spent some time looking over the shell, there are a number of areas that will need more sanding and worked. However the two tone checkered pattern will fool the eye and hide most imperfections in this scale.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Fri 26 Jul 2019, 6:01 pm

Great work Curt. You did say three THOUSAND squares didn't you. The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1578238153

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Fri 26 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

I did a chequer pattern on a Mini roof for Bernadette one time.

It was a bit wonky... I swore I'd never do it again.

Now that's very difficult Curt, best of luck The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1705482731
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Fri 26 Jul 2019, 9:12 pm

Superb Curt
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2019, 5:07 pm

Thanks guys!

Al, Yup 3000 squares, the math of the surface area says only 2000.

Shay, I remeber that build from way back on eScale. This will be my biggest checkered pattern yet, fingers crossed they don't go wonky.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 28 Jul 2019, 5:11 pm

Stay off the lager would be the only advise I can give you The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1705482731
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 28 Jul 2019, 6:38 pm

My advise Curt................ pre-book yourself into the local sanatorium!!!!!! You must be NUTS!!!!

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 28 Jul 2019, 6:48 pm

The geezer has a plan Al boy!
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:20 am

Al, already booked in.  I am actually just going to go in for a short stay while I get this cracking. The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 1792231099

After the post primer inspection and sanding the cowl fresh are intake vents that were filled still show.
I use a ton of filler primer when doing any body mods, this stuff is key to hiding imperfections in scale. The challenge is how and when to use it so detail and seems aren't filled in.

The cowl vents are right next to a main panel line, I used liquid mask to fill the gap right upto the cowl panel line then mask the rest.

After three heavy shots of primer the vents are still present in the last picture. They should sand back and be out of site when the paint is done, fingers crossed.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6313
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6311
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_6312

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:38 am

I have had some ultra narrow masking made up for this project along with the squares.

This stuff is 0.134mm wide or about .008", super difficult to work with. But yields a pin strip that scales upto less then 1/8" in 1:1.
In order to work with it I first spray a dusting of orange, this allow me to see if it flips over while,I am laying it down. Then I peel it off the backing with the ring as seen in the pictures. The ring is 1"X1/4", big enough to get a finger in and manipulate while laying the tape.

I haven't yet decided if I will use this ultra narrow stuff or the super narrow stuff for the orange pin stripping.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_1629
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 5 Img_1630

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next