Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minicraft Wankel Engine

Go down

Minicraft Wankel Engine Empty Minicraft Wankel Engine

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

While I was waiting on the paint on the GTO Judge to setup I thought I would do this engine kit.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0411

I have never built a Minicraft kit before so don't know what to expect. The scale is 1/5Th.

When you open the box this is what you get.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0412

Not many parts for sure. The kit has a ton of flash on all the parts. The parts come cast in clear, black,red,silver and yellow. The engine block and transmission are made as one piece. It holds the motor and batteries and comes pre-painted.

Start out by gluing the cylinders together. Like I said be prepared to spend some time on the clean up.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0413

Then it's the rotors and crankshaft.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0414

Then the ignition ring, really part of the crankshaft. It makes the 2 sets of spark plugs fire at the right time.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0415

When wire up the ignition plate. This is really the back wall of the engine.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0416

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0417

Cylinders get glued together.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0418

When you are all done with this step this is what you end up with.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0419

Believe it or not that is about the end of the engine part. Now you move on to doing the mechanical part of the build. This is the real down fall of the kit.
To drive the engine from the electric motor they used a simple planetary gear system. A sun gear, 2 planetary gears (pinions) and an orbital ring (annulus gear). The gear teeth are so fine it is almost impossible to remove all the flask and not damage a gear.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0420

here is the finished motor.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0421

This photo shows the rotor assembly and the motor in the engine half and hooked up.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0512

Got the battery box installed and the switch put together and installed. The off/on switch is the gear shift lever.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0513

The engine halves are screwed together and the twin distributors are put together and wired to the battery pack.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0514

The water pump and alternator and installed onto the front cover and then it is glued to the main engine block.

Minicraft Wankel Engine 100_0515

The rest of it is very simple. Oil filter, dipstick, etc. etc. etc. so I will skip[ that and let you see it in the NMA.

Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down