Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

+22
Johnag
itsonlyakit
RetiredMike
stevegt738
john2308
Grouchy
coyote
pete s
A5h
Skid
harron68
beowulf
Sam
Brizio
BrentH
Codfather
Shelby
dogfish7
Geezerman
Tumbler75
wisdonm
MotoScale87
26 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Empty Re: Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

Post by A5h Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:47 pm

Cheers mate.. One for later on in the year I think
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Empty Re: Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here.

Post by harron68 Sat 03 Jan 2015, 8:37 pm

Cool for certain! I always wondered why, since many rally machines are going nearly sideways around bends, why they have 500,000 candlepower headlights?!
Best o' luck on achieving the paint job and probably matching decal colors.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sat 03 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

harron68 wrote:Cool for certain!  I always wondered why, since many rally machines are going nearly sideways around bends, why they have  500,000 candlepower headlights?!  
  Best o' luck on achieving the paint job and probably matching decal colors.

cos some dont actually point forward.........look at the lowest ones on the Essie, they point slightly outwards....lights up the edge of the roads

beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm

Well Pauls covered it,  but as an extra...
back in the day when KC daylighters were "in" we used to cross the centre pair over by as much as 15/20 odd degrees so they lit the way when side on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:46 pm

Back in the day (the 70's) I used to angle the right front Cibie Oscar approx 30 degrees left and vice verca on the left.

Not to see the edges of the road but for better vision around tight bends.

The middle pair, Super Oscars, were aimed straight ahead and would illuminate cats eyes on a dead straight rod a mile ahead.

I'm not sure what the candlepower was but it was almost like driving in broad daylight.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

The paint is not so much scaring me its the decals, after my last disaster where the world ended for my M1. The Cossie ones come across the door and onto the front wings, over the extended front arches.... GULP!
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Here's a pretty good, long tutorial on applying large decals on Y.T. It's for carbon fiber decals, but works for any. I was surprised how much patience it takes. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge521C4uuqM. There are numerous others on y.t. also.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sun 04 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

When I had my Class 9 off-road race car, I had four KC Highliters on it. Two were mounted on the front of the roll cage about eye level, and another two on the front shock towers. The roll cage ones were long range beams, and the shock tower ones wide fog beams. And they were on separate switches. Worked great. I was sideways a lot, and the fogs really helped light up the corners.

As a side note, when I lit up all four, your could hear the engine (at idle) drop a note due to the load on the alternator!! They take a lot of juice.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm

Ash, just remember what I told you about large decals.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 04 Jan 2015, 11:44 pm

HUMPHH! Back in the 80's, my wife bought a '79 Cadillac off of her brother. Front corner lights went on when the wheel was turned that way !!!! Wadda y' think of that ?

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 1705482731 Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 1792231099
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Mon 05 Jan 2015, 10:38 am

Al i haven't forgotten

That Y.T vid shows me the microgoods set is much more effective then the humbrol stuff, it softens them straight away where as my stuff is like water so not much happened.

New car front fogs do that.. Come on when you turn the wheel .. Its like going back in time
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 05 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

Turning lights have been around since pussy was a kitten!!! Seems like there is always some manufacturer, puporting them to be 'new'!!

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

Well I think the DS 21 was the first production jam jar with turning main beam headlights, the later SM had six lights, the inner pair turned, the others were self levelling even back then.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

The Cadillacs with low mounted extra lights in the 1930s had those turn with the steering wheel. The Jo-Ann Caddy models have the little lights. Also, I did know that since I started being interested in Euro rallies in the '70s, some of the driving lights were askew. Thanks for the added info.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

Well the kit which started this discussion has arrived today and I really want to start it but I'm nervous of the decals.. May buy the micro sol stuff first..
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Tue 06 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm

Clay, my Olds Intrique had the same thing. More useful in a dark subdivision than you would think.

My BMW 300Ci has steerable lights. They call them Adaptive, really, I would call them articulated.
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

Newbies to my stash

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Xsara10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Subaru10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Wp_20128

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Wp_20129

Panning on doing a lot of WRC cars this year :)

A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 11 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

A5h wrote:Newbies to my stash

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Xsara10

Styrene Addict. Show us your latest kits here. - Page 21 Wp_20128

Panning on doing a lot of WRC cars this year :)

well, the mini is a classic kit.......must have done it 3 times now....sort of......in the middle of arnifying one, must finish it......as a kit its a gem that goes together on its own if you let it

the Heller kit......well, lets just say after you have done it you will never buy another heller/airfix car kit again lol lol lol..............dont expect tamiya quality lol

are you also planning on some muddy weathering?
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 11 Jan 2015, 5:53 pm

To be fair to Heller, they do cover some rally subjects that others do not and they can normaly be bought pretty cheaply too.

However, they are simple kits and, as Paul hints at, best weathered to hide the shortcomings.

The Mini is a little gem but has some tiny parts.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 11 Jan 2015, 6:00 pm

Yeah chap I will be making it rallied got me some flat earth paint and some weathering powders the other day

Cost me a tenner including postage off ebay for the kit but cant be as bad as the airfix Bismarck I started earlier.. Glued the hull and it has a massive gap underneath where the 2 halves join plus bits missing at the front.. Gulp!!
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sun 11 Jan 2015, 6:02 pm

I built the Subie kit years ago. Nice kit and went together well. Tricky decals for the yellow scallops on the sides, but settled down great with MicroSol.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 11 Jan 2015, 6:16 pm

If what you guys are saying is true about Heller kits (and I believe you) I'm so glad I didn't get the Renault 5 and Peugeot 205 I was watching on ebay!

Got a couple more on my hit list.. Skoda fabia and Audi Quattro (which I'm going to modify to the high heavens when I get one) then I'm done for the rally beasts.

Gotta get me some of that soon Pete, before I start the collection.. Unless I can get this humbrol stuff the work
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun 11 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

Ash, I built that kit(packaged as an Airfix, but the same kit) and found that the decals were the main issue, but if you seal the decals with some testors decal bonder (or an equivalent), you will be just fine. I also thought it went together pretty well, and would not be afraid to do another. Here it is.

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com/t23-citroen-xsara-wrc-2001
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 11 Jan 2015, 8:18 pm

That looks great!

I think I have a body somewhere so I will try getting this decalfix stuff to work right.

A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun 11 Jan 2015, 8:20 pm

The decal bonder gets sprayed on the decal sheet before you cut out the decal. I found that with my kit the decals disintegrated when you dipped them in water...
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next