Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What grabs you on a build

5 posters

Go down

What grabs you on a build  Empty What grabs you on a build

Post by kpnuts Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

Hi all I was wondering what grabs you on a build, by that I mean what makes you stick with a build ( obviously the title has an initial grab factor) yes if its a topic you are interested in intially you will watch it but then you may loose interest quickly, but what keeps you watching a build is it the skill, artistry, subject or the way the build is posted ie humorous, technically accurate maybe historical info. My builds tend to be here is a an update oh here is another oh and an other which I realise is so boring and to make it worse I tend to write it on one site then paste and copy to the rest (we all do it) I want to improve in my posting, so what's lacking. I realise I can't be an expert in all the genres I build in (I like so many) but I've noticed you don't have to be an expert to get loads of views and comments so it can't be solely down to knowledge or skill. So what is it that gets people following a build. Subject matter, skill, knowledge or some indefinable amorphous thing.

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

What grabs you on a build  Empty Re: What grabs you on a build

Post by RetiredMike Sun 08 Oct 2017, 2:12 am

Why I stay interested in people's builds here is that no one seems too judgemental and everyone has an interest in what you're building even though it's not their genre.  A few other sites I tried got too picky about correct colors, options, weathering techniques, etc. and very critically said so in their reply posts.

As far as your posts go, you could vary the first four or five words now and then, but other than that, I find them quite informative;  like your posts of the gold leafing of the French warship or weathering of well used cars.

As far as followers, just remember the famous line from the movie 'Field of Dreams'
What grabs you on a build  Maxres10
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Sun 08 Oct 2017, 10:45 am

The reason I follow any particular build is simply to see if I can learn anything from it, a certain way of doing a particular job or a technique I haven't tried for instance. So if you get a question from me then I am after expanding my knowledge as I believe all knowledge should be shared amongst like minded people. I am quite happy with periodical updates by anybody, the more info the better.

I also give back (hopefully) by detailing my current builds so that somebody else may benefit from any techniques I use. I am rather biased towards cars as I'm trying to scratch the car building itch I have had since things settled down and I now have the time to plough ahead with the hobby and get my stash finished.

No doubt I do need to diversify a bit and start looking at other things other than cars.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sun 08 Oct 2017, 12:21 pm

Me...I always enjoy seeing what others are building or have built...or found. Other things that grab me is craftsmanship...imagination...the thought of what the builder had to go through to build or save it. Then there is the stuff others find or build/restore that I like personally myself.

A great build does not have to be top notch show quality in my eyes....one can have a great build with ether a expensive kit...snappers...or just a batch of parts they had to work with. We all try to do our best on everything we do and with what we have to work with....I have been very impressed by the work I have seen here. We all can learn from each others work that is what makes building more fun.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

My personal draw is pure interest - whether that entails technical information or techniques, subject matter or simply a 'like' of what's going on. How much text is involved doesn't affect my interest overly much, though getting the nitty gritty details can be informative and enjoyable it's also fun to just look, peer and peruse.

My own posting style evolves a lot from week to week. Sometimes I want to share details about a new technique if only to keep a 'History Of Errors' log for future personal reference, other times I keep it brief in order to not reiterate something I've already gone over in previous posts.

Sharing of information is the watchword for me. Kind of a personal feeling of paying it forward as I've gleaned so much from the works of others it seems only right to do the same thing in case anyone else out there might gain the same benefit from my stuff.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down