Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruth's Place Diorama

+12
dublin boy
hotrodmax
Shelby
Skid
kpnuts
Johnag
Sam
GaryDainton
Geezerman
harron68
dogfish7
Tumbler75
16 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruth's Place Diorama

Post by dublin boy Sun 08 May 2016, 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear of this John, hope Mrs. J is feeling better.

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun 08 May 2016, 4:57 pm

WOW !!! What a week indeed John, and it all started with a little foot surgery. Give her my best, and tell her not to kick you so hard next time.

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 3887228019
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2016, 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear all this, I wish nothing but the best for you and your mate. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2016, 6:25 pm

First of all you don't owe us an apology, the hobby is second to real life.

Secondly pass on our best to your good lady, tell her to accept all the fussing and attention she's getting, she's obviously worth it after 56 years together.

Thirdly don't over do it yourself, it won't do if both of you are run down will it?

hope everything get back to normal as soon as possible for you both.

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 08 May 2016, 7:20 pm

Take care of the wife, John. They're a lot more than just a hobby.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2016, 9:03 pm

Thanks guys. Your support is invaluable. She is a great deal better today. We see the doctor tomorrow so we should have some info tomorrow night. Al, Skype usual time on Tuesday, I hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2016, 10:19 pm

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 1705482731 good stuff John.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 6:20 pm

We saw the doctor again this morning and she had the cast removed. Looks like she I healing well. She is now in a removable boot, but will still be non-weight bearing for another six weeks. She's not a happy camper over that.

I'm back to working on Ruth's, but it is slow going. Hopefully I'll have some progress shots tomorrow or the next day. Thanks to all of you who have commented or called. It means a lot to both of us. John

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:23 pm

Lets give it another try.  Right after I said I would be getting going again my wife suffered another fall.  This time there was no head injury thank God, but it set her recovery back quite a bit.  About the same time I took a misstep and twisted my right hip severely.  On a scale of 1-10 the pain was a 15!!  I was convinced that I had broken my hip.  Fortunately the damage was all muscular, but I was off my feet for about two weeks.  Thank God for our adult daughters; don't know what we would had done without them.  It has been a rough couple of months around here, but hopefully things will settle down now.

I managed to get back to Ruth's a few days ago.  Here is where the dining car stands at the moment.

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00110

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00210

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00310

As you can see there is still a loooooooooong way to go.  It is going to be hit and miss until September though.  We were scheduled to spend time in Idaho with our other grandkids this summer and my wife will not hear of not going.  We will be back and forth so some work will get done, but there will be a lot of down time.  

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00410

The ends of the car will be identical as the car is meant to be a former interurban (street car for you guys not familiar with model railroading.) Here is hoping it will not be so long before the next update.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:49 pm

Sorry to hear about the further woes John, I hope your both much better very soon.
Glad to see 'Ruth's' back and Im looking forward to seeing it come together.
Heres to the next update and take care. Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 28 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm

I've told you guys before to stop knocking each other about!!! Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 1792231099

Nice work John, it's looking good.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 03 Jul 2016, 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear about the additional issues, it's always a bummer when life throws multiple curve balls repeatedly. But it is nice to see some progress on the dio, and for something like this the slow and patient route is usually the best. All the best for a summer of smooth roads and pleasant events. Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 3887228019
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:50 pm

John, some interesting stuff here for your dioramas in which you include police officers.

http://www.policecarmodels.com/g1pofi.html
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:53 pm

Gary: Thanks, but I've been aware of this site for some time. I've made several purchases from him and can attest to his excellent response and customer service.

I kind of got sidetracked from Ruth's Place, but expect to be getting back to it next week. Thanks again. John

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 14 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 3887228019
window.post_1473868031593_4 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1473868032375_14 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:45 pm

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 1705482731
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 17 Sep 2016, 2:13 pm

Great to read you're back to near normal. Health issues can dominate lives at any age. Your "restaurant" is like so many of the past. Last I saw there was still one in downtown Chicago! Wish you the best and hope Ruth get her place finished!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kpnuts Sat 17 Sep 2016, 7:19 pm

Blimey mate just back off hols, I hope the missus is still on the mend, that was an unfortunate accident and must have been scary.
The diner is looking great.

kpnuts
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 17 Sep 2016, 7:21 pm

Glad to hear all is good on your end John.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2016, 8:03 pm

Damn John, sorry to hear of all the difficulties. Glad you and your wife are back on the mend.

Some good progress on Ruth's, the end panels are coming along quiet well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Sat 24 Sep 2016, 9:36 pm

The trolley car you're building looks a lot better than the kit. Really like the red Chev too.
Ace
Ace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 5:47 pm

Seems that 2016 was a really nasty year around the Johnson household. Early on in the year I had a severe case of bronchitis that put me down for about a month. Around the first of the year my wife slipped on some ice and severely damaged her ankle which required major surgery to rebuild her ankle and foot in May. When she got out of the hospital a week later the first thing she did at home was fall and split her head open, back to the hospital. We finally got her somewhat back together, but according to the doctor she will be May of this year before she will be able to say the foot and ankle are healed. Needless to say there was not much modeling getting done during this time. Taking care of my wife and some other obligations that I have just did not leave time.

After Christmas it looked like things were enough in order that I could get back to Ruth's. Turned out this was not to be though. The week after Christmas I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme pain in my left neck and left chest. I thought it was that I had slept wrong on that side so I took a couple of hydrocodone and got back to sleep. When I woke up the next morning the pain was worse and I had developed a nasty case of confusion. I really did not have any idea what was going on.

My wife got me loaded in the car and took me to American Fork Regional ER. At the hospital they did a CT of my brain and a chest xray. A bit later the doctor came in and told me I had pneumonia and a severe sepsis. He was not real encouraging and admitted me to the ICU. By that time I was still real confused and did not really understand what was going on. My wife managed to get me to realize that doctor had just told me I might die.

To make what is already a long story some what shorter, I spent 30 hours in ICU hooked up to every tube and wire they had. During that time I did improve somewhat, but remained very weak and confused. After the ICU stay I was transferred to a medical floor for the next five days. I was finally released a little over a week ago and am now at home. The pneumonia and sepsis are gone, but I'm still pretty weak.

Enough whining for now. I'm home and wanting to get back to modeling. I'm going to make another run on Ruth's. Hopefully 2017 will prove to be a better year for us. Tell you though, GETTING OLD AINT FOR SISSIES. Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 524092055 Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 524092055 Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 524092055

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:16 pm

Getting going  again.  The diner will sit on a stone foundation.  The foundation will be made from broken and stained mosaic tiles.
Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00312

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00412

I found these several years ago at Michael's. The tiles are made in Israel. They were on sale and I bought four cans. It's fortunate in that I have never been able to find any more.

Ruth's Place Diorama - Page 3 00112

I break the tiles and then stain them with an alcohol/ink stain. It takes several times, but the final result is worth the effort. I'll post photos of the stones when finished. Well it's good to be back at it. Hopefully this year will be more productive.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Fri 13 Jan 2017, 7:04 pm

Wow John, Im so sorry to hear of your trauma, lived on ICU for a couple of months with Stevie, SCARY place. Glad to hear your on the road to recovery though. Don't get carried away and build your strength back up, I believe single malt whiskey should be prescribed, A large dose each evening.

I very much look forward to progress on Ruth's and the stones look great, but gradually and only when your ready. (and I mean really ready).
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 14 Jan 2017, 12:12 am

Glad to hear you're back at home and getting better John.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next