Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orange Crate

3 posters

Go down

Orange Crate Empty Orange Crate

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:40 am

The Orange Crate was built by Bob Tindle in Portland Oregon. It was the first race car the Revell ever made a model kit of. I read somewhere that it first came e out in 1961. That may not be true , it may have been later like 1964. Here's what the instruction say.

In 1962 Bob Tindel's brilliant imaginative Orange Crate hit the "show and go" circuit like an orange bomb when it won both the Sweepstakes trophy at the Los Angeles Winternationals and the Oakland National Roadster Show's trophy for best competition car.These awards are based on appearance and drag strip potenial, and are two of he most sought-after trophies in the country.

In 1963 the Orange Crate became the first car to win the Los Angeles Winternationals two years in a row. It also took the 1963 Oakland trophy to become the first car ever to win both awards in two successive years. Additionally, Tindel has won trophies in every show in which the car has been entered.

The range Crate is built around a blown 1960 Olds engine, and is mounted on an all-chrome, hand crafted tubular frame. Bob used the popular "deuce" body, chopped and channeled, with re-shaped and molded rear fenders, and provided the final imaginative touch when he hinged the body at the back for display and maintenance purposes.

The old saying , "If it don't go-chrome it," was laid to rest by the Orange Crate which, chromed,polished and plated in every possible place, turned 140 MPH on the strip, with a best ET of 10.61. The Orange Crate is a fine car whose popularity seems to increase with time. It is a choice addition to your collection of Revell Famous Name Cars.

I am glad I built it and I am glad the build it over. You can read the kit review in the kit review section. I am nbot going to go into it again. I won't show this car, it is built but not well built. I am happy I have it for a shelf filler.

Orange Crate 100_7324

Orange Crate 100_7325

Orange Crate 100_7326

Orange Crate 100_7327

Orange Crate 100_7328

Orange Crate 100_7015

All comments and questions are welcome. I am gonna go lay out some parts for a 1937 Ford and start taking pictures.

Back to top Go down

Orange Crate Empty Re: Orange Crate

Post by Sam Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:57 am

What a Beauty Buck !!

I have 3-4 boxes FULL of orange crate models, started and not started. Thats how I got them, now I know why they were never finished. Hopefully I will get at least ONE done for my case as well. Lots of great parts if I dont. :D
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 24 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

I know the kit has issues Buck but you did a real good job. Plumbing and wiring looks terrific.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Buck, You can now mark this one of your childhood "I want to rebuild this" list. Great job, great looking, and the plumbing is outstanding. Keep up the great work!
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down