Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you

+4
GaryDainton
harron68
dublin boy
disabled modeler
8 posters

Go down

Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you Empty Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you

Post by disabled modeler Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:42 am

Hi gents..!

I was curious what models/promos just seem un-touchable for you no matter how hard you have tried to get a hold of them..?

Here is a few of my unicorns....

MPC 75 Pontiac Firebird or TA/Formula
Monogram show rod Un-Real Roller
MPC 71-75 Dodge vans...or parts
MPC/AMT 64,67,68,69 Pontiac Bonnevilles...or parts
MPC 69,70,71,72 Grand Prixs..or parts
Normatt Winnebago Motorhome
AMT/MPC 71,72? Pontiac Ventura/Sprint II..looks like a Nova...or parts
Johan 70 Cadillac Coupe DeVille HT
Johan 65,66 Chrysler 300s
Johan 68 Chrysler Imperial
Johan 69 AMC Ambassador
Johan 71 AMC Hornet
Johan 72 Olds Toronado
Monogram large scale funny car Mean Maverick
IMC 65 Dodge pickup Touch Tone Terror...or parts,etc.
MPC 1/20th scale Ford van...workshop/Ambulance/stock version building versions
Monogram/Testors 80? Pontiac Trans Am K wagon
MRC gas station diorama kit
MPC 65.66 Dodge Monacos
Johan 72 Ford Torino snap kit
Johan 74 AMC AMX snap kit...or parts
MPC 71-75 Dodge long bed pickups...or parts
1/25th or 1/24rth scale U.S. style 60s/70s pay phone booths
Johan 64,66 AMC Rambler American wagon
and a few others.

Lets see what your unicorns are...?

Last edited by disabled modeler on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you Empty Re: Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you

Post by harron68 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 6:11 pm

So very true. Too many "sellers" hold out to maximize profit. On the other hand, even with the expansion of potential finding the model you want on the web, so also competition increases. Most of the kits you cite were either made in fewer numbers or were made in big numbers, but were in high demand back then.
All I can advise is to either keep trying on the web and/or attend local model "conventions." They are a bargain hunter's paradise. Sometimes a model that would sell in kit form for $50 can be found in "glue bomb" condition for a small fraction of the price.
Sadly, as we who still luv models have health issues (or kick the bucket) leave the hobby, prices just seem to keep rising. I have no easy solution beyond robbing banks (just kidding) to afford all the rare goodies. Good luck to all looking for their special model kits!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you Empty Re: Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you

Post by disabled modeler Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:21 am

Shay brother...
I am lucky enough to still have my old Johan Haulin Hearse model from my childhood days but sadly she needs parts like some of the others on my list i do have but cant find or afford if I do...maybe someday Ill find what she needs..and the others..? With all the years of storage and bad luck they need parts and work...lost too many of their other room mates over the past 10 years not to.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:33 am

harron68 wrote:So very true.  Too many "sellers" hold out to maximize profit.  On the other hand, even with the expansion of potential finding the model you want on the web, so also competition increases.  Most of the kits you cite were either made in fewer numbers or were made in big numbers, but were in high demand back then.
   All I can advise is to either keep trying on the web and/or attend local model "conventions."  They are a bargain hunter's paradise.  Sometimes a model that would sell in kit form for $50 can be found in "glue bomb" condition for a small fraction of the price.  
  Sadly, as we who still luv models have health issues (or kick the bucket) leave the hobby, prices just seem to keep rising.  I have no easy solution beyond robbing banks (just kidding) to afford all the rare goodies.  Good luck to all looking for their special model kits!

Sadly your right....
I miss getting to go to the swapmeets etc. here to look for stuff I need or want...use to find some really good deals on them and parts. its been over 20 years since i got to go to one. I have a huge parts needs list too...for many of my old ones and my dads old ones from his collection I have been Entrusted with their care and to restore so they will be around for a very long time to come...hate to fail. There is too many pieces of history in the collection of them...many very rare ones too both models and promos. I am not afraid of glue bombs ether...I look at them as ether a challenge to bring them back or parts to save the others with and or project builds...conversions, other models of the same basic vehicles,etc. so they can have another chance to be something. My old AMT 59 Buick Invicta convertible was a horrible glue bomb but saved her anyway...LOL..

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sat 31 Aug 2019, 11:29 am

Yep...that is the one I have that is missing parts and decals to it.  I have had it since my childhood days..never finished it I was a bit too young for it at the time to do it right.  Have to find the ....

front drive train parts
decals that can be used
landau bars
and a couple of other small parts I cant remember

I also have the stock hearse but its damaged and missing parts thanks to the storm we had in 2011...body is pretty rough..very rough sadly.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Promodmerc Sun 01 Sep 2019, 5:26 am

My whole model stash. I can't remember the last time I touched one of my kits LOL
Promodmerc
Promodmerc
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Sun 01 Sep 2019, 11:50 am

Promodmerc wrote:My whole model stash. I can't remember the last time I touched one of my kits LOL

Dan brother....

Id touch a lot more of mine if i could find replacement parts for them...cant restore or build them without them..and its a huge list. If I did I could be busy for years to come...LOL...

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 01 Sep 2019, 7:58 pm

So, whats the story with the Gaff, and how's the young fella Gaz boy?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Mon 02 Sep 2019, 7:20 am

House is nearly done Shay, hoping to be in very early October. Stevie is good at the moment thanks Shay, hope all is well with you guys.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:25 am

First generation Corvair. I've put ebay bids in, and been out bid. Any that stay a reasonable price are from vendors who won't ship to Australia.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 02 Sep 2019, 5:36 pm

Don't have any these days but for a long while it was Tamiya's Ligier JS11

Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you Tamiya10

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeBee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 11:16 am

GeeBee
GeeBee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

https://geoffbrownsmodelling.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Tue 03 Sep 2019, 11:32 am

Cool choices gents.   In the last 20 years I have only found a couple of my ones off my grail list of stuff myself and there missing important parts but keep looking for them anyway..LOL..   Its always a very nice surprise to find one that means something to oneself and its good for motivation as well.   I know how you all feel about the prices too...some ask for crazy amounts for them sadly...otherwise we would all be happy..LOL...

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:30 pm

That list is huge Mark.

Good luck in your quest.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Tue 03 Sep 2019, 7:05 pm

I never told her how much the two Johans from Jack at Modelroundup cost...lol
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeBee Thu 05 Sep 2019, 10:22 pm

[/quote]I never told her how much the two Johans from Jack at Modelroundup cost...lol
[/quote]

What happens on Skids, stays on Skids, mind you a pint down the local when I pop over to Coventry might make my memory to go completely empty......
GeeBee
GeeBee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Fri 06 Sep 2019, 11:37 am

Curtis wrote:That list is huge Mark.

Good luck in your quest.

Curt buddy....

Thanks ...Ill need it...LOL.. Or for that matter ill need it in all areas...LOL.. Yep all older Johans are hard to find and most hard to afford these days sadly...they were one of my favorite companies due to the subject matter their kits were of..even their snaps were great kits. These days its hard enough to just find parts for the ones i do have by all companies and body style years.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Fri 06 Sep 2019, 5:49 pm

I never told her how much the two Johans from Jack at Modelroundup cost...lol
[/quote]

What happens on Skids, stays on Skids, mind you a pint down the local when I pop over to Coventry might make my memory to go completely empty......[/quote]

You can have as many Pints as you like down the Maudsley.

I'll have to ring your other half to come and get you after about 3 or 4 Geoff!
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeBee Fri 06 Sep 2019, 10:03 pm

dublin boy wrote:I never told her how much the two Johans from Jack at Modelroundup cost...lol

What happens on Skids, stays on Skids, mind you a pint down the local when I pop over to Coventry might make my memory to go completely empty......[/quote]

You can have as many Pints as you like down the Maudsley.

I'll have to ring your other half to come and get you after about 3 or 4 Geoff![/quote]

Bloody hell Shay, you trying to get me in the dog house again ?? It took me ages to get out of it last time i had a little bit too much of the happy juice, and I was on holiday, you would be carrying me home after two these days with the medication.
GeeBee
GeeBee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 07 Sep 2019, 5:47 pm

You surprised me ordering a bottle of San Miguel at lunch in Coventry last time to be fair.

I was even more surprised they found one at the Maudsley. Curious what models or promos seem to be untouchable for you 2704104872
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down