Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, I know some of you have classic cars

+2
beowulf
dublin boy
6 posters

Go down

So, I know some of you have classic cars Empty So, I know some of you have classic cars

Post by dublin boy Mon 17 Dec 2018, 6:16 pm

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

So, I know some of you have classic cars Empty Re: So, I know some of you have classic cars

Post by beowulf Mon 17 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

i remember the days before airbags, pre tensioning seat belts, crumple zones, side impact protection, abs ......scares me to death looking back on it!
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

So, I know some of you have classic cars Empty Re: So, I know some of you have classic cars

Post by dublin boy Mon 17 Dec 2018, 7:43 pm

I have an old MX-5 with nothing, not even ABS.

Mind you I'm safe as it doesn't start anymore..lol
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 18 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

My 1935 Hillman Minx has nowt, absolutely nowt in the way of safety features and I love her.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:08 pm

Ya cant do 110 in that though So, I know some of you have classic cars 2704104872
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 19 Dec 2018, 7:21 am

True, but you can still be killed at 50mph.  Espescially when some prat in an MX5 carves you up. LOL So, I know some of you have classic cars 2704104872

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Wed 19 Dec 2018, 8:53 am

Skid wrote:My 1935 Hillman Minx has nowt, absolutely nowt in the way of safety features and I love her.

Come on Al, it's got 4 wheel brakes, you big girls blouse! When I were a lad, we had to stick our hand on the tyre to slow down.

Joking aside, I'm always aware that my '69 Buick doesn't stop/steer/handle like a modern car, and I make allowances.

I'm also much less likely to put a finger out a window, as well as offering helpful tips on how others should drive. It's a bit too recognisable.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 19 Dec 2018, 7:59 pm

I wonder how fast an old Buick would actually go over my backroads compared to say a 2 litre petrol Mondeo assuming you had front discs and a lighter small block?

I'm sure it can't be that bad.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeBee Wed 19 Dec 2018, 10:12 pm

Skid wrote:True, but you can still be killed at 50mph.  Espescially when some prat in an MX5 carves you up. LOL So, I know some of you have classic cars 2704104872

You'll be o.k.during the day Al' most of them are parked up outside the hairdressers
GeeBee
GeeBee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

https://geoffbrownsmodelling.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 19 Dec 2018, 10:49 pm

Careful what you say Geoff, I'm and ex MX5 driver myself. And I'm almost bald. LOL

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeBee Wed 19 Dec 2018, 10:52 pm

Skid wrote:Careful what you say Geoff, I'm and ex MX5 driver myself. And I'm almost bald. LOL

It only counts for the Mk1 & 2 Al' I'm sure you had a much later manly version....
GeeBee
GeeBee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

https://geoffbrownsmodelling.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Thu 20 Dec 2018, 1:15 am

Lads, youse are both bald, so in fairness youse don't need a haircut anyway.

And this coming from a man with a PT feckin Cruiser.... So, I know some of you have classic cars 2704104872
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Thu 20 Dec 2018, 2:15 am

dublin boy wrote:I wonder how fast an old Buick would actually go over my backroads compared to say a 2 litre petrol Mondeo assuming you had front discs and a lighter small block?

Much as I hate to admit it, the Pommie Ford would win on your backroads. Mine has a disc front conversion, so at least it stops like a 60s, not a 50's car. And it's the small block.
I've done some handling upgrades, it handles well considering how bad it is. If that makes sense!

webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Thu 20 Dec 2018, 11:07 am

Before my accident I was the proud owner of a 75 Pontiac Trans Am that we rebuilt the engine in made a beast of it.  had a .30 over 400ci. Pontiac in her with Ram Air heads and exhaust manifolds...472 lift x  512 duration cam...balanced lower assembly...functional shaker scoop...373 positrac rear end...automatic.   I took it once to the local drag strip for the street car time pass and when coming back the return lane for my time the guy told me management said  not to bring it back till i had a cage in her.  Was forced to sell her after the accident trying to save our house which they ended up taking anyway.  I miss her every day still.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Thu 20 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

webby wrote:
dublin boy wrote:I wonder how fast an old Buick would actually go over my backroads compared to say a 2 litre petrol Mondeo assuming you had front discs and a lighter small block?

Much as I hate to admit it, the Pommie Ford would win on your backroads. Mine has a disc front conversion, so at least it stops like a 60s, not a 50's car. And it's the small block.
I've done some handling upgrades, it handles well considering how bad it is. If that makes sense!

I'd love to follow you driving it fast over here.

You'd dissapear up the few straight bits, what bhp has it got?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Mon 24 Dec 2018, 9:15 pm

dublin boy wrote:
webby wrote:

I'd love to follow you driving it fast over here.

You'd dissapear up the few straight bits, what bhp has it got?

Shay, it's got the optional 4bbl 350, with a claimed gross HP of 280. It's got a cam & dual exhausts, so I'd say 300 gross. Took it for a run yesterday, and give it some beans. Surprised me with the midrange punch!
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Mon 24 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm

Well,maybe 250 net on a good day? Got an lsd in the back end?

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Tue 25 Dec 2018, 9:25 pm

dublin boy wrote:Well,maybe 250 net on a good day? Got an lsd in the back end?

No, but I'd like one, with shorter gears, say a 3.08.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down