Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away)

2 posters

Go down

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) Empty 1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away)

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

This is going to be my next project while waiting on the Community Build #3 to start May 1st.

It's the AMT 1950 Chevy Pickup. I am going to let this build do two things. I am going to use it as a Contest entry at "The Mad Modeler". The theme of the Contest is celebrating the 100Th anniversary of Chevrolet. So Build any Chevrolet is simple enough.

Also at the Good Guys in Puyallup this year they are doing a thing that is like a trade. The Theme is any Pickup. The way it will work is you build a pickup. then all the entries are numbered. You draw a number and that's the truck you leave with. if you get your own number you draw again, or they draw again, not sure who will draw. I don't know how many of the people that said they would take part last year will do so, but I don't want to be unprepared. The worst that could happen it I will bring it back home with me.

So this is the kit I plan to build for both.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7711

I plan on making sure it has a good looking stance, doing a two tone paint job (first for me) Metallic Root Beer for the cab,hood and bed, The fenders and running boards will be Metallic Black. Both are Dulpi-color. I will foil it, do a nice interior and maybe put a V-8 in it. Might use the old 216 Babbit beater that's in the kit also. It looks like a pretty fair engine.

The other thing I will do on this one is try to paint the wood in the bed to look like wood. I have seen several builders do it and I have never tried so that will happen this time also.

Back to top Go down

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) Empty Re: 1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away)

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the comments. I like it ;D.

I got off to a start of sorts on this one and thought I would share what's going on.

Got the Body and some of the body parts in primer. The Wheels and tires wouldn't stay together long enough to try a mock up so I went ahead and finished them.

When I got them to this point I could see they needed a little more.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7810

So I added a Black Wash and some .018" valve stems in the wheels.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7811

Here's a close up.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7812

Then I was cleaning the flash and such from the front axle. One of the lightening holes was drilled and the others not.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7813

So I drilled out the other holes to match. Looks much better.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7814

It still looked kinda blab so I used a touch of Root beer Metallic to change things around a little. Much better.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7815

Then with the Bumper mounts removed from the body I began to fit things together.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7816

Now I will be able to mock up the front and rear axles and check the stance.

That's it for this up date. All comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. They really do add a lot of fun to the build.

Well I have been moving right along on this one. Still haven't made an engine choice yet. I want to keep is simple because I want to be done with this one So I can take part in the Community Build #3 that starts in a week.

I didn't think that I would need to look at the instructions for this one so I ended up putting primer on the body to early in the build. And paint on the rear fenders. That's OK p[art of living and learning. So to set the stance I needed the interior ready to hold the cab in position. So I have been working on the interior. I am to this point with it.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8010

I will probably change the gear shift knob from Black to White. The Black just gets lost with all the dark colors.

I had been messing with the bed and now I needed it to be done so I could see the stance with rear fenders in place. so I went ahead with the wood graining of the bed, also added some BMF. When I was all done it looked like this.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7910

Top and bottom are the same. Really the bottom came out a little darker than the top but it's hard to tell when you look at it.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7911

Now I needed the whole thing together for a mock up. So I painted the bed and mocked it up.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7912

So I put everything together to check the stance and it ended up looking like this.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_7913

So now I know I need to move the rear axle back and drop the nose a little.

Then I discovered that the stance wasn't accurate because I was missing some body panels that help support the cab. So I added the pieces putty-ed everything up and went to bed. More to follow soon.

Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

I am not sure how many people will really bring a truck to give away. When the idea was brought up there were several people standing around that said "I am in". Gary Davis, Fletch, Floyd, Dave Holmes and myself I know of. If you want to be part of it just show up with a pickup truck to trade. Floyd said the way it will work is each truck will be given a number, then everyone will draw a number from a hat. You get the truck that goes with that number. If you draw your own number you draw again. Either way I am a winner. I will either bring this one back home or one from another builder that will be displayed in the museum part of my dungeon.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I should have another update sometime today or tomorrow morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:58 pm

Al, I painted the bed with Model Master Wood, seemed like a good place to start. Then I used Craft Paint, Light Chocolate, to dry brush over it. I used the Craft Paint because it cleans up with water. So if I made a mistake I could wash the part off and try again. The Craft Paint is quite thick so I dipped a big brush in it and then painted a piece of paper. Once I was not getting paint on the paper I rubbed the brush across the paint and started working on it. It took awhile but pretty soon I could see the grain start to highlight. Once I had it like I wanted it I let it dry and then BMF the rails and used Dulpi-color Clear on top of that. Two coats, one dry and one wet. The underside is a little darker than the bed side, but I think it looks OK for a first try. I am thinking about trying a Woody Wagon in the near future because of the out come.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:59 pm

No Tim it is just acrylic craft paint. Walmart has a small selection of colors and places like Michaels have tons of it. I use it on my interiors. When you put a coat of Dull Coat on it, it looks like leather. I will post a picture of the bottles. The stuff is really cheap so that's another big plus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well I started out by getting the noses of the truck down a little. I cut the spindles from the front axle and moved them up as far as they would go. That was .096" (3/32"). This shows how much I moved them. In scale this is 2.4 inches so it about 2 1/2 drop in the front. The spindle on the right is moved and the one on the left is in the kit position.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8011

This keeps the front axle off the ground and gives the truck a better looking stance.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8012

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8013

Got the rear wheel in the center of the wheel well, or closer to it. also in this mock up you can see the stance a little better.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8014

I decided to go with the in line 6 that the kit provides. It's the old 216 Cubic Inch "Babbit Beater". It just looks good in the engine bay and is faster than putting in a V8 and working out all the bugs.

This is a mock up of the engine so you see the basic colors.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8015

Mock up in the Truck.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8016

So that's where we are at as of right now. I am trying to have this near done on Tuesday so I can start the "Backward Engine" Community Build on time with you guys. If not I will be a day or two late starting but don't see a problem.

Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

Hey guys this is the craft paint that I was talking about. I know there are probably more but these are the two brands that I find at Walmart and Michael's.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8017

What I have found out about it is that for use on plastic it is to thick. It needs to be thinned down quite a bit. I have been told and tried thinning it with distilled water and with rubbing alcohol not very good results. With water It takes for ever to dry, with alcohol it doesn't want to stick to the primer, flakes off. I have been using this stuff to thin it with.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8113

This stuff does the trick. None of the stores I have been in carry the thinner, that could be because I live in a very small market or maybe because they people that use it with crafts can thin it with water and it works fine on their project. Anyway I buy it on line at several places, just do a search for it.

When you put a coat of dull coat on it you get a very real looking leather. There are so many different colors it's impressive and it's cheap about a buck a bottle. When you thin it it will lighten the color so pick something a couple shades darker than what you want. Hope this answers your question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well my goal was to have this done yesterday and I didn't make it. So I need to finish this up and move on to the "backward Engine" project.

Here is a mock up of the chassis to check colors and contrasts.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8114

Here is the chassis all put together and ready for more parts.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8115

Interior all done.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8116

Got the body all painted. just need to wet sand and clear it today.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8117

Started the engine assembly, here is the distributor drilled wired and ready for the engine.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8118

So now I will wet sand it and clear it, while the clear sets I will finish the engine. Should be done today.

Thanks for the comments they are always welcome as are questions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:23 pm

Well I was wet sanding the rear fenders and sanded through the black paint. Like a rookie I tried to fix them and ended up with messed up paint. They can be striped and repainted but being short on time I robbed a set from another kit and will go that way. I may not have it done for the Elks Show but it will be ready for Good Guys with out a doubt.

I think the guys that said they would take part in this are honorable people and their give away trucks will be nice. They are all very good builders. Likje I said either way I win. I either bring home a truck fromn another builder for the museum or bring this one home if I am the only one that goes through with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

Well I am going to do the final update on this one. Thanks for following along, all the comments just make it that much more fun.

I ended up just getting another body from another kit and repainting the whole thing. I don't know what happened but it was ugly. Seems like I have a lot of paint issues, I think the most of them are builder error just get in too much of a hurry. So while I had this build on the bench I also had the Bucket T that I am using for the Community Build #3 on the bench. I didn't realize how small the T Bucket was until then. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Both are 1/25 scale.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8715

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8716

Here is the finished chassis ready for the cab and bed.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8717

Finished engine bay. The Ahoooooga Horn is painted Brass, just like the good old days.

1950 Chevy Pickup (Give Away) 101_8718

So that's about it for this one. I don't want to spoil the NMA so I will leave it at this. Thanks to all that followed along. Back to that T Bucket for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

My favorite body style Chevy PU's. Love how yours turned out !
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:46 am

That's a great looking build, the stance is just right and I love that colour combo. Sweet looking engine too!
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:13 am

Thanks Guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down