Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts

3 posters

Go down

Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts Empty Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts

Post by disabled modeler Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:43 pm

Hi gents...! You can use a method I have used many times to cast or make my own small parts with...

You need some Testors liquid glue in a bottle...some white plastic parts tree spues.

Cut the tree spues into about 1/8th inch long pieces and drop them into the glue bottle after removing some of the glue for room...add plastic pieces till you have the right consistency after they melt till its what you want it to be... It takes some time for the glue to melt the plastic but will you can use the brush under the cap of the bottle to mix or test the consistency of the plastic with.

After getting that done make a RTV rubber mold of the part you want then use the bush to layer plastic in the mold...give it time to harden may take awhile depending on how deep the part will be.

Works pretty good gents and you can use normal glue to apply the new part on with...Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts 3887228019

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts Empty Re: Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts

Post by GaryDainton Mon 20 Jun 2016, 2:09 pm

Cheers Mark. Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts Empty Re: Make your own plastic..sort of...for casting small parts

Post by RetiredMike Mon 20 Jun 2016, 2:22 pm

Thanks for that tip - I'll have to try it. I've used that method of 'muck' in place of body fillers in the past. The plastic color will match your model and it won't come off in the purple pond or brake fluid.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

Great idea Mark.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2016, 7:46 pm

you can do the same thing with MEK. I love using it for body filler.

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

Your welcome gents....glad to be of any help...we all need it these days...LOL... I have used to help bond body panels too works great and its basically free.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

One question, how long does it last in a sealed container and do you have to add more glue/solvent to maintain it's liquid state?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:46 pm

Plastic Freak wrote:One question, how long does it last in a sealed container and do you have to add more glue/solvent to maintain it's liquid state?
If you use styrene cement (revell) and sprue it will last for years - I speak from experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

Nigel is right for the most part...you have to make sure the bottle stays sealed by the brush cap well. You also can always add more liquid glue to the mix and it will soften it.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down