Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testor's Visible Hemi

Go down

Testor's Visible Hemi Empty Testor's Visible Hemi

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:08 am

Finally all my projects are done. I hate it when I have several projects laying around. Seems like nothing ever gets done to any of them. This build will be the Testor's 1/4 scale Visible Hemi.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_3210

This is another of those kits that work when you are done. Not a static display piece like the other 1/4 scale Hemi's I built.

Feel free to ask questions or make comments as we go. All are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Testor's Visible Hemi Empty Re: Testor's Visible Hemi

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:21 am

OK we are off and running. I got the box emptied to look the kit over man what a pile of parts.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4510

So I sorted through them and found the crankshaft pieces. Then cleaned them up. There was more flash on them than I thought I would find.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4511

Next was as mock up of the crank.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4512

Then the connecting Rods. Got them all cleaned up and mocked them up on the crank shaft to make sure everything would fit and turn freely.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4513

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4514

Next I found the main caps, screws, bottom cam gear and retainer. They were cleaned up and made ready for assembly.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4515

Bottom block was cleaned and made ready.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4516

Then everything was test fitted. All the problems were corrected and then it was put together. I used Vaseline for assembly Lube. Seems to have worked out well.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4517

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4518

Now on to bigger and better things. I will add more tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:34 am

Got quite a bit done today. Started by getting engine sides ready. They had to be deburred and some flash removed.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4519

Then it was on to the camshaft. Had to press the drive gear on and install a keeper ring. I took a small file to the cam lobes. I removed the casting line from each lobe. It makes the lifter follow better when we get that far.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4520

Then did a test fit on all that. wanted to make sure things would still turn freely.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4521

Got the sides fitted and glued to the crankcase.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4524

Got the pistons,pins and retainer. all cleaned up and installed onto the rods.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4526

Got the cylinders ready fitted and then installed.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4527

Put the cam back in for 2 reasons. I wanted to know what it would look like and find out if everything still turned freely.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4528

Got the heads ready and put together.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4610

Put the valve guides into the heads.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4611

When you get the head all cleaned up and the glue is setting this is how many clamps you need.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4612

The bottom part of the head was warped. That's why so many clamps. Once the CA sets you are good to go.

Then rocker arm stands and rocker shafts are glued to top of heads. The shafts can still be removed. I just left them in while the glue dried to keep the alignment.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4613

I have to do some part time fill work Thursday,Friday and Monday. So the next update may be a couple days in coming. Thanks for tuning in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:50 am

Well here it is Saturday morning. Man it is cold here. 22 degrees at 10 AM.
I live pretty close to the Pacific Ocean and this is not normal. Any way it gives me time to build and write on this OTB.

When I quit last time we had the heads together and the valve guides installed. So now it's time to finish the heads and get them onto the block.

The rocker arm stands are glued in using the shafts for alignment. Then the intake and exhaust vales,sprigs and retainers are installed.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4614

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4615

The way this kit is designed. You build the crankcase with the crank,rods,pistons and cylinders Forgot the camshaft. Then you build the top half of the engine. This is everything above the camshaft center line. So you have the combustion chambers, heads, lifters and push rods. Then you glue the two sub assemblies together. The top half looks like this as the glue dries.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4616

Just a quick note here. I used MEK to hold all this together until I could tell where to super glue it. What is nice about the MEK is it doesn't fog the clear plastic. And this thing has a ton of clear plastic. The finished top half looks like this.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4529

Next you clean the flash away from the front and reatr of the engine. The parts look like this.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4617

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4618

And the valve covers.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4619

then you put them together.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4620

you end up with something that looks like this.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4621

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4622

Now time to add the front and rear of the block.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4623

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4624

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4689-vi

That pretty much completes the mechanical part of this kit. I want to tell you that it isn't as easy as it looks here. The different parts of the block and multi-piece crankshaft take some careful alignment and many,many test fits before gluing. You have to be aware of does it still turn and are there any gaps where the different block pieces come together.

Now it's time to start putting on the static stuff. Intake, valve covers, spark plug tubes, etc.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4625

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4710

OK Iam going to go work on this beast some more. I will update again tomorrow morning. Before I leave I will say after building the 3 Hawk Hemi's they are the same kit. The only difference is the Hawk kits are static display and the Testor's are visible. The Testor's kit is way more complicated and takes more time to fit everything. But all the rest is the same.

See you later and thanks for looking in. All comments are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:02 am

At this point the build is just about done. what happens next is hanging all the goodies on the block. Here are some pictures of the assembled goodies.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4711

Looking at this picture reminded me. I was going to comment about the decals. This kit only has 2. The oil filter and the air cleaner element. The decals were easy to work with and no problem applying them. And this kit is from 2004.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4712

The fuel lines and filters are just like the Hawk kit items. And they don't fit either. At this point you need to heat them with a hair dryer and bend them enough to make them fit right.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4713

The next trouble point is the Power steering pump. You don't know it yet but the fan belts will put such a strain on this item it will try to twist and break off the model.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4714

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4715

To resolve this I took a piece of the clear spruce the came in the kit and made a "bracket" that I glued between the pump housing and the block.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4716

It is hard to see because it blends in so well. It is mounted between the back of the housing and the block about center of the dipstick loop but forward a little.

Here are the rest of the bolt on goodies. I am going to post these three pics and then close the OTB. You can see the finished model in the NMA.

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4717

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4718

Testor's Visible Hemi 100_4719

Thanks to all those that followed along. Your comments are always welcome. Next one in line is the Visible A-990 Race Hemi. I feel it will be much like this kit, only different. LOL See you there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down