Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model ship

Go down

Model ship Empty Model ship

Post by Geezerman Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

My two boat builds: First is the Sultana. These are not plastic, they are entry level ship building kits. Sultana had aspecial get aquainted price from Model Shipbuilders, and I fell for it. No regrets, this was one of the most satisfying model building experiences I ever had. Sadly, this is the only foto I have. Gave the model to a son-in-law.

Model ship Sultan13
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Model ship Empty Re: Model ship

Post by Geezerman Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Emboldened by the Sultana build, I bit the bullet and bought one of the next kits up the line. The "Harriet Lane". Civil war era sidewheel paddler that was a transition betweem steam and sail.
These kits both touted preformed hulls. Actually, they were blocks of basswood that were rough cut to the general proportions. You had to finish the contours. I had made templates using drawings in the kits.
The Harriet Lane turned out to be rather daunting. The masts were merely roughly tapered dowels, the paddlewheel covers were paper with the ornate openings printed on, etc.
About halfway thru, I got a tad exasperated and packed it back in the box. Several years later, retired, and moved to Florida, I got it back out.
One of the things I did was transfer the paddlewheel cover design to thin styrene, and cut out all of the openings.
Contrary to what you might think, the rigging was fairly easy. Involved, but due to the excellent blueprints in the kit, it wasn;t too bad. Kind of enjoyable in fact. Again, the satisfaction of building this was immense. My grandson in Indiana has this in it's handmade case

Model ship Harrie14

Model ship Harrie15

Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

Super nice Clay. Did you build the display case for it also?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

Zbuckster wrote:Super nice Clay. Did you build the display case for it also?

Yeah.
I replaced the missing corner piece before it went to Indiana

:P
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

Neat job on both Clay. How did you transfer the cover designs to styrene??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down