Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resin kit newby

4 posters

Go down

Resin kit newby Empty Resin kit newby

Post by coyote Wed 06 May 2015, 4:14 am

I was hoping some of our members could give me some advice about building a resin kit. I have read that it should be washed before painting - can this be done using detergent, if not then what should be used?

Can a resin kit be primed with Tamiya primer or should a special resin primer be used?
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Resin kit newby Empty Re: Resin kit newby

Post by Skid Wed 06 May 2015, 10:45 am

I have read that it should be washed before painting - can this be done using detergent, if not then what should be used? wrote:

Yes it should be. Use washing up liquid.

Can a resin kit be primed with Tamiya primer wrote:

Yes.

Two more things.

It sands VERY easily so go carefully or you will over sand. Also wear a mask when sanding as it gets airbourne very easily too.

Lastly, you will need to use CA glue for assembly as it won't adhere with MEK etc.

HTH Chris.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Wed 06 May 2015, 3:38 pm

Another tip is to soak the resin part in bleach. This and the washing assures that all mold release agents are gone. Paint will not stick if mold release is present at all.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 May 2015, 6:14 pm

I have two pointers .....

Always sand resin wet (i.e use wet and dry paper with a dish of water) ... saves breathing the dust in.

Use an old toothbrush and some mr muscle (oven cleaner) to get rid of the moulding agents ... then wash well in soapy water.
(technically you should then use gloves to handle the item as the resin can draw the oils in from your sweaty fingerprints apparently)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 May 2015, 8:08 pm

I wash my resin parts in Westly's Bleche-White. It is a cleaning solution for white wall (1:1) tires. I use rubber gloves to take the parts out of the Westly's, then I wash in warm water and soap, with a final rinse. The tip from Colin about skin oils is a good one. I will start to use rubber gloves until the first coat of primer. I usually use Tamiya fine white primer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 May 2015, 8:44 pm

I soak my resin parts in household bleach, then wash in warm water with a dish washing derangement. After it has dried and before primer I wash or wipe with rubbing alcohol. Let it air dry and prime.

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Thu 07 May 2015, 1:53 am

I go along with most of this except I soak mine it Purple Power instead of bleach and give it a rubbing alcohol bath before priming Resin kit newby 3887228019 I use auto primer and as long as it's clean have no problem.

P.S. Don't ever but resin in brake fluid to clean of strip cause it WILL destroy the model and turn it into a big blob of resin.
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by coyote Thu 07 May 2015, 11:09 am

Thank you so much everyone. Some really helpful advice there for me and others. It's really appreciated, thanks again.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down