Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signing models

+2
Geezerman
webby
6 posters

Go down

Signing models Empty Signing models

Post by webby Tue 29 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Anyone else here 'sign' their models? I always put my name & date on them- usually on the in the boot (trunk) area of the floorpan.

Or I am the only one who's vain enough.

Cheers,

Chris.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Signing models Empty Re: Signing models

Post by Geezerman Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

I have a couple of thoughts on that, not that I have even considered that before.
First, almost everything I have done is right here in my house. I know who did them.
Second, now that you have brought it up, I'm several months into my 78th year and I realize that. my models will have to be dealt with sometime in the near future. Not a clue by who or how.
I have see where some modelers try selling them on eBay. They usually bring a pittance. S'why I never thought of trying, even tho (modestly) none of them are the usual run of the mill. I have given a couple away on two occasions when I was asked for them. Might have been nice if I had signed them, I wasn't worried that either recipient would try to claim them as their own work. So, when comes time, my creations may go to the garbage can anonymously.Signing models 3871844300 
As for the present, I would not even know where to peddle them or how much to ask. Most of them have more effort and creativity than average.
Back on the original question, mine are not signed.
Signing models 1496391374 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

I doubt many would think of signing them. For those of us who know and appreciate the art and craftsmanship, it makes good sense. Sadly, as Mr. Geez writes, they are undervalued as either art or wealth-creating. We live in THAT kind of society, and it shows every day.
The best thought I can offer for preservation is maybe the model car museum, a web site I saw a few yrs ago online. They (if they're still around) would know the value and how to sell others to help keep the museum and hobby alive. Otherwise, offering some on e-bay occasionally may bring a fair price. There are folks who make a bit doing models for "clients" so it's not impossible to make a few shekels making models. Good luck to all builders. Undervaluing the work that goes into the hobby is common to ALL crafts, and local craft shows prove it. Thanks!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

I do not sign any of mine, and have never thought about this.

As for what to do with models, here is a thought. At the GSL contest in Salt Lake, part of the activities included in the contest registration is a tour of the International Model Car Museum in Sandy, Utah. This place has a fantastic collection of model memorabilia and history. It is a volunteer organization run by some great people. Look at their website. I am sure that there is contact information, and they are always looking for interesting donations.

Pete
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

Interesting point. I had never thought of signing my models either. All the thoughts and words of them being under valued is right on. Think of how much you have in each build.The cost of the kit, paint, aftermarket parts etc,etc,etc. Then try to value your time, what is worth an hour? Plus each one of them, no matter the builder, is a one of a kind piece of art.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Tue 29 Oct 2013, 4:30 pm

I did sign two of my models. Mainly because I was asked to before they were taken away by their new owners. I found a spot on the underside and signed them with a silver sharpie and for giggles I did put 1 of 1 on them. Under valued they are greatly. Labor+Materials+Model= ?$?$ Mine are listed in my will to go to a Model Museum if not wanted by people I know.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

I've never signed any of my models - but I wish I had written the date underneath when I had finished them.
But then, are our models ever finished?
I have sold many of my models on Ebay - then later wished I hadn't, after considering all the time and effort that has gone into the builds.
However I go through phases when my pastimes are superseded by newer, more exciting ones, and then the old stuff gets moved on.
I guess we all do it - later to regret it.

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

Good point, Clay about what happens to our collection after we're gone. I've willed my aircraft to 2 mates who are into them, and any friends who want a memento can pick from the cars.

Ditto about 'you know who built them' It's a vanity thing for me- I like the idea of perhaps someone in 50 years stumbling across one of my 'masterpieces' (HA!) & wondering who I was.

I find that the dates make an intresting find when rebuilding.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Tue 29 Oct 2013, 10:36 pm

What I have seen lately, several guys that have passed away, and belonged to clubs, willed their collections to the clubs and the clubs auction them off, over time, as fund raisers for the clubs.

Naw, never signed.
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm

Most of Bob Paeth's Models were auctioned off when he passed away. I have 5 of them now. One was left to me and the other 4 I got from people that got them at the auction.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 1:02 am

I'm proud of the response to this fine suggestion. We are a good group and have cause to be thankful for the friendship, generosity and spirit we have. Thanx for the info!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down