Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The trip from Hell!!

3 posters

Go down

The trip from Hell!! Empty The trip from Hell!!

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm

Back in early June my wife and I left with my brother and hide wife with our trailers on what was intended to be a trip to Edmonton, Alberta.  The trip got off to a bad start when the electrical converter on my trailer failed and had to be replaced.  Following the replacement we left the next morning.  About half way to Idaho Falls my stop lights stopped working.  It was intermittent, so took most of a day to find the short.

From Idaho Falls we proceeded north into Canada.  On crossing I had I minor run in with the Canadian customs officer over my pulling into the wrong lane with my trailer.  It really didn't amount to much, but was just one of those things that kept happening.

We stopped for what was intended to be two days in Creston, BC.  On the second morning while entering the trailer with three models I had found in a local thrift store, At the top of the steps I fell backward landing on my tailbone and slamming my back into the end of the picnic table.  We ended up staying in Creston for five mor days so I could heal up.  

On leaving Creston we turned west intending to go to Vancouver Island.  While crossing the a Rocky Mountains we managed to have our transmission fail while traversing a 14% grade.  This led to smoking the brakes while getting stopped.  We managed to limp into the Ford dealer in Penticton, BC where the transmission was replaced.  Managed to add $5000 to the Canadian economy there.

By now we had decided to return to the States.  Between mechanical problems, injuries and the extreme heat we had no interest in going further.

We crossed back into the US at Osoyoss, BC.  On entering the Customs inspection we were asked for our passports.  No problem officer, here they are.  As soon as the officer entered the info into his computer a siren started going off.  He slid his bullet proof window shut and ordered me to throw my keys on the ground.  Several other officers, some with guns drawn, came running to the vehicle.  I was removed at gunpoint, as was my wife, handcuffed and placed in a holding cell.  WELCOME HOME JOHN!

It took about an hour for Customs to decide we were not the people they were looking for.  They then apologized and released us.  Having been a cop for neatly 30 years, I accepted their apology and we parted friends.

Got to say though, by now my wife and I just wanted to get home so we could hide under the bed.  We are home now and I think it will be a while before we go again.  Besides I have models to finish. The trip from Hell!! 1705482731

Back to top Go down

The trip from Hell!! Empty Re: The trip from Hell!!

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm

Wow !!!!!! What a trip, that's one for the memory book for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm

Holidays ..... more trouble than they're worth !!!!!!

At the end of the day, you're safe and have a story to tell

welcome back to your second home mate !!

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

glad that you made it home in the end

with all those mechanical problems id be thinking about getting something newer lol

..........and since you arnt public enemy #1 i wonder who they mistook you for??

beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

When you first told me about this John, I have to say I had a little chuckle over the passport control incident..... I mean a cop of goodness knows how many years gets cuffed!!! Must have been a strange feeling? Serves to right for trying to smuggle in those three thrift store kits!!! The trip from Hell!! 1792231099

Seriously though I'm really glad you survived the experience. You'll be dining out on this for years!!!

Take care buddie. Speak again soon.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:09 pm

beowulf wrote:

with all those mechanical problems id be thinking about getting something newer lol

The ironic thing is this was intended to be the last hurrah for my truck. We intend to permanently place the trailer in an RV park near our youngest daughter to use as our "cabin in the woods". The truck will be traded for a new car for my wife. Just too bad our RV travel history has ended on such a sour note.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Tue 07 Jul 2015, 5:14 am

John, what a story!!

As a kid, I spent many a week traveling with my folks in an Airstream all over the US. Some trips are just meant to be a trial in persistence. My family has had some of them too, but they will stick in your memory.

Like you said, you now have kits to finish!!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down