Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamiya Celica GT4

+7
Geezerman
Tumbler75
Old Coyote
webby
Sam
Skid
A5h
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tamiya Celica GT4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Tamiya Celica GT4

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Mon 01 Sep 2014, 7:04 pm

Back in the olden days, lacquer could only go over lacquer, but enamels could go over both enamels and lacquer. Now days all the paint formulations are so different that the terms lacquer and enamel mean next to nothing. I use an acrylic triple thick clear for the cover coat and it hasn't impacted anything (so far:10: ). It's Design Master "Master Shine" which according to their web site is lacquer based (Master Design Clears). They do sell products in the UK at craft stores, but I don't know if they sell this stuff.

I have become a huge fan of the plastic spoon (used by Nigel and others). I got a bag of 48 at the Dollar Store (your Pound Store) and I spray the paint directly on them. If it crazes then I need a primer. If it doesn't then I can go either way. Then I can spray the clear (matt or gloss depending on the use) and if it doesn't have issues I'm good to go. I then save the spoon and label the back side with the paint color. Over time I will have samples of all my paints and use spoons to determine color combos.
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Mon 01 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

Yep, plastic spoons for paint tests are the way to go. I remember here or elsewhere a great tutorial on ALL CLAD line of paints and different base coats and the finished look. Taking time to do spoon tests makes sense when one isn't sure of paint reacting.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Mon 01 Sep 2014, 8:47 pm

I'm buying me some spoons.. Thank you!!
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

I use the white plastic spoons a lot for paint tests. Cheap and easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2