Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tablet recommendations needed.

+2
pete s
Skid
6 posters

Go down

Tablet recommendations needed. Empty Tablet recommendations needed.

Post by Skid Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:07 pm

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a tablet but it won't get heavily used so I don't want to pay iPad prices.

I'd like a 10" screen and 16gb

Anyone got any suggestions?

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tablet recommendations needed. Empty Re: Tablet recommendations needed.

Post by Guest Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:37 pm

Asus nexus 10....

You'll probably get one quite cheap now. When new they were about 100 quid cheaper than those "insert insulting word here" ipads :-) if I had a quid for every one I've looked at and sorted for people I could probably buy a huge stash, ipads and iphones should be used as place mats and coasters!

The cheaper nexus has16 gig on board I'm sure, not expandable but unless you're going to fill it up with candy crush and angry birds, you don't need more.

And the beauty of it is its virtually stock android (ie you don't get all the extra unremovable , pointless software that you get with Samsung, Sony, etc etc)

I use a nexus 7 and a motog mobile for the very reason of them having stock android.... I prefer to fill them up with my own choice of rubbish lol.

You won't regret it I don't think, and of course all negative opinions about other brands are my own and not the opinions of the forum... That's got you out a legal mess Al :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sat 12 Jul 2014, 1:56 am

Sorry guys, I have an IPad mini, and love it. It is fast and just always works great. Yes, it was not the least expensive, but it's never failed me. Extremely reliable.

More than I can say for my Asus laptop! Had a screen hinge and screen surround break, and is currently held together with electrical tape. Will have to see if it is repairable, or just replace it!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coyote Sat 12 Jul 2014, 4:23 am

I use an iPad, no complaints, it's brilliant.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:00 am

Thanks Chris and Pete, but like I said, it won't get heavily used so I'm not paying iPad prices!! LOL

Thanks for the info Colin have you any experience/knowledge of the ASUS ME102A??

Oh! forgot to say, I also see it as replacing my Kindle as a book reader.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

Memo pads are just as well made from what I've played with, they come with a slightly slower processor speed, single core, if I remember correctly from using my lads.(not sure what version that was but it was around 180 quid and is 10 inch)
He uses it for everything including some low graphic games, perfect for day to day use.

I read on my nexus so when you get sorted with one, and want to set up a reader, PM me OK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:46 am

I have a Samsung. GT - 9513 that the kids thought I needed.
5" X 9" screen
Not up on tech jargon (gigs etc.), but i get a great clear resolution. better or as good as my desktop.
Like Skid, I use it as a reader. Great fotos that I can post direct to facebook. Probably a lot of other stuff that I don't know how to take advantage of.  Tablet recommendations needed. 3331969777 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 12 Jul 2014, 1:21 pm

I suggest asking friends/relatives to show you theirs and get "hands-on" experience. For some, an I-pad after using windows-type programs takes getting used to. There's the issue of security software costs too. Nobody I know has had any data stolen or malware with I-pads and no yearly security fees. I'm with Geez on not using electronics to the max, good enuf is good enuf for me.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 12 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm

This is helping me out as well as I have a Windows 8 Laptop (insert few profane explicative words here) and I'm thinking of going to tablet as well. I've looked at everything from the Tablet/Mini PC (the ones that double as a tablet or a tablet w/ keyboard) models to IPads and such. I have a bachelor's degree (one reason I quit modelling for a few) in Engineering and IT Repair, Programming, and Construction (among other things involving computers) and all this information still sends my head spinning. LoL

I do agree with Harron68 on this one. If you have friends and relatives with Tablets see if they'll let you check theirs out and find one that's comfortable to you. It sounds like you don't require a lot, but at the same time (with the way Technology goes) you need to think of expandability, life expectancy (life of the tablet), and so on. Key points to think about. You might want 16GB, but keep in mind updates of the applications, and the applications themselves you want to put on your tablet. This information even includes today's "Smartphones." Core Speed (Dual Core vs Single Core), Internal Memory (aka RAM), Storage (Internal vs External aka Add on Storage), and the list continues. Another thing is if you find something you really like and you think its great for what you need, check Google for Customer Reviews and Reliability Ratings. Also, think about the warranties and extended warranties and product insurance. Those come in handy say if you drop it or worse (and God forbid) you sit on it (a friend of mine did this to his kindle).

I know this sounds a lot like buying a new car or (worse) a new computer, but with as fast as today's technology is moving, you need something that is going to at least last you a minimum of 5 to 6 yrs (standard life expectancy) but could last you a lot longer if needed. Sorry to bore you with my long winded post, but its points to think about.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 15 Jul 2014, 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

In the end, I bought a Lenovo Yoga 10.

Nice clear and bright 10" display, nice big keys to press (LOL) 1GB and 16Gb Android 4.2 Jellybean (Whatever that is!!)

Colin, you have mail coming.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 12:05 am

Good for you! Too often, it becomes "information overload" and decisions are put off. My recommendation is to "play with it" get whatever "help books" or if your local library or the store you bought it from has free (or nominal) cost classes, go. There are always folks more and many less experienced than you. Now, can you help me with installing Java apps on my "almost smart" phone? And what about Opera mini? Oh, the technology is passing me by like a Viper driven by a teen!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down