Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint reaction???

2 posters

Go down

Paint reaction??? Empty Paint reaction???

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jun 2014, 2:36 pm

I'm currently working on a 1937 Ford pickup for the Frenchie's diorama I am building. It is intended for the lower portion of the body to be flat black. I decided I did not want to fight with my airbrush so I would use rattle cans on this build. A few days ago I primed the part with PlastiKote Sandable Primer. I have used this primer for several years without any problems. This was allowed to dry for approximately 36 hours. I then sprayed a coat of Model Masters Black Lacquer as the first color coat. I picked up the wrong can and did not spray a flat as intended. I let this coat dry for 48 hours and then this morning I sprayed a coat of Model Masters Flat Black Lacquer.

Within minutes the top coat of paint began to bubble and blister. On checking, I found that the first coat of Black had softened and lost adhesion. I was able to wipe all three layers of paint off with a paper towel. Needless to say, the part is now resting in the Purple Pond.

I am at a loss as to the cause of the problem. As I previously said, I have used the primer for a number of years without any problem of any kind. Both of the color coats are Model Masters Lacquer so there should not be a compatibility problem there. Do any of you guys have any idea what went wrong here??????

Back to top Go down

Paint reaction??? Empty Re: Paint reaction???

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jun 2014, 5:35 pm

I have no idea John, Never heard of the paint getting so soft you could wipe it off. I doubt it is a primer problem. I have used the Plasti-Kote T-235 primer for several years now and have never had a paint reaction with it. I have put all types of different paint on top of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jun 2014, 6:06 pm

The only thing i can think of is that the first coat of lacquer wasn't shaken up enough to mix thoroughly in the can and it's sprayed mostly carrier on the model (thus the dodgy first coat), there should be a good mix of carrier and paint in the spray so as the carrier flashes off, if there's a lot in the spray it'll sit on the surface and "could" chemically heat up the primer (especially plasti-themed stuff). 48 hours later and the primer and dodgy lacquercoat are chemically unstable and ready to react with any further coats.

I've had similar happen with cans left standing a long time, when you shake them the bearing clanks of the top and thuds at the bottom of the can indicating settled paint.

don't take this as gospel but it's a personal experience that seems familiar in your description.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

Snake's experience and logic is probable. For the future, we should write ourselves a note what can happen. Thanx for the puzzle and possible solution.
To check it, you could spray a plastic spoon with the same things and see if that was the problem.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 01 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

Sorry, I have no answer for you John but it seems odd that lacquers from the same maker should react like that.

Seems unlikely to be the primer as the first lacquer was OK.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

I'm afraid this is one that will go down in the books as a mystery.  There is just no obvious reason for this to have happened.  I used the same paints on a junk body today and everything is just fine.  And that is even with rushing the job of drying each paint with  a hairdryer.  The only thing I can think of is that I somehow contaminated the flat black, but I have absolutely no idea how.  OH WELL, ONWARD AND UPWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down