Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ...

+7
Codfather
john2308
Jeff Johnston
harron68
dublin boy
beowulf
Tumbler75
11 posters

Go down

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... Empty A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ...

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 20 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

Well this past weekend I decided to enter a show that was canceled and rescheduled here in Memphis. It was hosted by a local Hobby Shop for their customers. Each entry was given a number and a card to fill out. I later found out that all entries were being judged. I think this was decided after the fact because there was no mention of this on the flyer but a free show is a free show. I took a total of three cars, the 1992 Mercury Cougar XR-7S Cabrio Concept, 1990 Ford F350 Extended Crew Centurion Custom, and my 2006 Concept Camaro Gone SEMA. Later I had to put the 2006 Camaro away as people kept wanting to pick it up and look at it closer even with signs everywhere on the table stating "Do Not Touch the Models."  A mirror got knocked off but luckily I found it. I was also afraid it would either walk off or get severely damaged. Before the judging began I did get asked a few questions about the Cougar and the F350. Some did ask why I was putting the Camaro away and I explained that too.
When the judging started, an entry number was called so the builder could explain what he/she had done to the kit. Not much was said by the judges until my numbers were called. I explained what I had been done with my two remaining builds on the table and that is when the fur flew! I was told by the judge that my Cougar looked like it was built by a 2 yr old. The F350 just was too "Toy Like and Shoddily done." Granted I know neither are perfect and I think the comments made by the judge shocked a few people as well. The other builds looked good, some not the best but passable, and some even had the metallic flake falling off onto the table. But I always give credit that at least they tried! I never down a person on their build like what was done to me. I did ask around for the people in charge was told twice "They are at lunch and not sure when they will return." I did get an email of a person and sent them a note telling them how unprofessional this was conducted. Haven't heard a reply nor do I expect so. I know contest are harsh but if this is how they all are. This will be my last. When the judge was done with everyone. I picked up my two builds, put them away, and waited for 1.5 hours for the person in charge to return. Got frustrated and left. Thanx for letting me vent.

My Three Builds:
A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... CC2

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... DSCF0639

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... P3220007_zps7d3c4fec
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... Empty Re: A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ...

Post by Guest Thu 20 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

What a bad day. I would have to rethink how much support I gave to that hobby shop.

Back to top Go down

A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... Empty Re: A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ...

Post by beowulf Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

some people just need beating with a stick A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... Stick

why say something like that?, he must have known it would piss you off

id would have had to have said 'and what makes you an expert?.....show me what you build......or shut the feck up!'

id certainly never frequent the shop again
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

Constructive criticism is one thing, but that's unaccepable.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:59 pm

That's the problem with "competitions," judging is supposed to be fair, but rarely is and judges pretty much never give each contestant a summary of how and what matters.  I much prefer displays where models are enjoyed, not ranked.
   Thanx for the vent and the Camaro I remember seeing on the Net before  IS one great job.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Johnston Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:14 am

That's nuts...who does that ?  If I were you I'd never go back to that hobby shop.  Or I'd find out who that judge was and where he lived.  Then I'd empty a big bucket of dog poop all over the hood of his car. :)

JJ
Jeff Johnston
Jeff Johnston

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 5:20 am

I think I'd go to the hobby shop that put on the show and tell the owner about what happened and what the judge said just to tick him off and hope there are a lot of customers hearing it. That's no way to have a good show and have people want to return to the next one, I know I wouldn't.
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

Well I did get a response from my email to whomever it concerned.

Dear Sir;

We are deeply sorry about your experience at our latest affair. We did speak to the person that was chosen to judge the show and got his side of things. I am here to say that he will not be participating in anymore events we host as we have received several written complaints the day of the events as well. If you would please come by the shop or send me your home address, I will be glad to make this right. We would like to also show our appreciation for your participation in our events and hope this doesn't discourage you from participating in future events.

Thank you and Sincerely,

The Hobby Shop
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

There you go. The silver lining.

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

That sounds good, now you know you wasn't the only one and the judge had nothing to do with the hobby shop. Still makes me want to find that judge and  A li'l rant about this past weekend's events ... 4191971827   

I'd go to the hobby shop, the owner is looking out for customer's so he wont lose any.
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Fri 21 Jun 2013, 9:32 pm

that will teach them to enlist an asshole
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Codfather Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

I can't understand what makes a man want to belittle another like that. It's nice to here he got what was coming and just shows that there are some genuine people out there. This is the sort of experience that makes me want to steer clear of competitions...
Codfather
Codfather

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

I remember you topld me about this on Shype Jason and I'm glad the store owners have reposnded in a positive manner.

Go and talk to them and let us know the outcome will ya?

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

I went and talked to him yesterday (6/24/13). He gave me a $100.00 Gift Certificate good towards anything in the store. I told him that was too much, but he insisted as a way of making up for the bad taste that was left in our mouths from this ordeal. It was also to show my appreciation for being a loyal customer as he knows I've been doing business with him for over 20 yrs now off and on. SO now the question is what to spend it on. LoL The selection is decent with a few new releases thrown in here and there. I'll show my score as soon as I have time to go down and really make up my mind. LoL
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by VirusX Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

Glad to hear that things turned out positive, even if the experience was more on the negative side.
VirusX
VirusX

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

Result!!! 001

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 1:40 am

Wow!  It's said the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but not always true.  Glad the shop reacted with real concern and generosity!  Sounds like a good business to deal with.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm

Glad to hear things turned out well in the end. But if anyone had ever made a comment like that about my kits I,m afraid there nose would have been relocated in the back of their skull and the microphone up their A*se. Anybody can take the odd knock on a kit but that judge should have had his gob stitched up at birth.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 8:32 pm

Well it didn't end all that well. 2 weeks after getting things resolved and getting the gift certificate the Hobby Shop closed it's door for good. I later found out the owner who owned the shop had a heart attack and is now in a rehabilitation centre. At least he is alive and getting better.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brizio Tue 20 Aug 2013, 5:45 pm

Sorry for heard your bad adventure a this show... Glad that also other people notice that this guy didn't not count until 10 before speak and hopeful he will be not judging any more show. Sorry for the owner of the hobby shop too! Hopeful it will open the store soon! :)

Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:53 pm

It,s a all to common sight now a day. Hobby Shops closing there doors though owners being ill and competition from online sites and ebay, amazon ect. but if it were not for the like of these places our hobby would be dead in the water so to speak. With the average truck kit costing around the £40-£50 in the model shops my end of the scale starts to cost big bucks with the amount of scratch building and aftermarket parts used. I can sharp hit the £200 mark in no time. So it pays for me to shop round for the best deals or to make a mould of parts I,ve made then cast them in resin if I need it again.
Think I,ll leave it there as I,m starting to ramble on ya know (blah,blah,blah ect.)

Hope the guy get,s well soon and make a full recovery.
Reg Tony.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:37 pm

Too true, at times the nearest hobby shop can be A) a lifesaver at the last minute, B) a place to meet and talk with fellow modelers, and C)advice and info on what can be ordered from their connections in the hobby.
That said, prices are ridiculous considering what goes into the kits, especially if you consider the now standard practice of issuing the same kits again and again (reruns!) at greater profits. Add simple greed on the part of any car or truck company that demands it's money for licensing the models (does Ferrari really need an extra dollar??!).
For many of us the real deal, the thrill is at regional model "conventions" where new, used, abused and aftermarket parts for models are sold. It's a free market bazaar and nearly everyone leaves with a few goodies and sellers with pockets full of cash and less overstock. Thanx for your rants, this is my partial response!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down