Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1949 Merc Pro-Mod

Go down

1949 Merc Pro-Mod Empty 1949 Merc Pro-Mod

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:45 am

Well here we go. This as been a 6 month long project for me. Many firsts
along the way and just as many mistakes.

It all started when I got this body from a collection I bought in Canada. The body had been given to Berine by Chris White. Chris had gotten the body from a friend of his. So I was owner number 4 on this thing. I talked with Chris and he thinks the body was cast in the mid 1980's. My best guess as to why it was never built is, it is tweaked. In the rear the drivers side is about 1/8 Th inch taller than the passengers. I couldn't straighten it so built it as is.

The donor kit was a Revell Christine Pro Mod car. The chassis still had to be lengthened 9/32". The engine is a Ross Gibson 812 Cubic inch Ford Pro Stock Motor. I know NHRA limits engine size to 500 Cubic inches but IHRA doesn't. That's why the Pro Stock cars are faster than NHRA's. The decals came from the scrap box. The only decal I know anything about is the "Bob Paeth" decal. It was released in a kit in 1974. The rest came from who knows what.

The detail includes the wiring of the Radio and the control boxes. The fuel system is plumbed as well as the NOS system. I scratch built the injectors for the NOS and Fuel system from 22 guage craft wire and aluminum beads (called crimps). The brake system is complete from the master cylinder to the calipers.

The paint is House of Kolor Candy Root Beer Brown on a Gold under base. All of the Red and Blue detail paint is Dulpi-Color Anodized paint. According to my supplier these paints are no longer available, so if you see them bag'em. They work great for 5.99 an 11 oz can. I mean the Dulpi-Color not the HOK. The aluminum is Orr-Lac Dull Aluminum. The 5 point harness is from Pro-Tech. Little tiny parts but man they are sweet.

I made quite a few mistakes on this build but learned a great deal. I want to thank all the members here and at SABA Northwest for their help and support.

Here are the Pictures.

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4326

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4411

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4412

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4413

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4414

1949 Merc Pro-Mod 100_4415

Back to top Go down

1949 Merc Pro-Mod Empty Re: 1949 Merc Pro-Mod

Post by Sam Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:51 am

Strange creature Buck. you did an excellent job, I particularly like the chassis details.
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down