Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling ..........

+4
harron68
GaryDainton
Skid
Old Coyote
8 posters

Go down

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... Empty Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling ..........

Post by Old Coyote Mon 03 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm

...... to be able to continue to have them host pictures for third party linking (like on this board) they are raising the price from $2.99 per month ($35.88 per year) to $399.99 per year ............... guess I'll be looking for another hosting site Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 3868354571
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... Empty Re: Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling ..........

Post by Skid Mon 03 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

Why not just post directly from your computer?. It's far easier and quicker.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... Empty Re: Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling ..........

Post by GaryDainton Mon 03 Jul 2017, 3:58 pm

What Al said. Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

I have been using Photobucket  for several years and have not heard anything about this. I also have a pay account. Not sure what it is called but it is 100 GB's of storage. Costs 89.95 a year.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 05 Jul 2017, 7:05 pm

Just the internet reflecting the tenor of our times. Everyone wants to "max out" on profits. All one can do is drop whatever service and hunt for something more fair. Good luck to all.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:02 am

Skid wrote:Why not just post directly from your computer?. It's far easier and quicker.

cos if you post on more than one forum its easier to write it all out in Word, add the pics links from a host such as PB then just copy 'n paste the whole lot on to each forum
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 06 Jul 2017, 2:21 am

I dumped my photobucket free account that got too overwhelmed with ads and had gotten very hard to navigate thru. Can't afford a paid account.
Found a nice free site
Was easy to use once you got into it.
used it a few times until Skid told me not to worry about the clubs band width usage and to go with the host image option here. But, if you want a nice alternative to photobucket this is pretty good. Minimal ads ( just some Russian girls on their home page)
Only downside was, to post on Skids, the photos ran a little large,
https://postimg.org/files.php

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegt738 Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:38 pm

I've had a paid account with them for over 10 years. According to their terms and conditions, the only paid account that allows 3rd party hosting and linking is the 500gig, $400 account.

My online pics are still visible, but for how long? If / when they get nasty with me I'll just delete the account, and where they can go and rotate.
With over 7,000 pics around the web, I don't I'll have the patience to redo them all.
stevegt738
stevegt738
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTrucker Sat 08 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

They hit my account today.
Feel really bummed out as I could not begin to try and get the pictures back up on all the places.
Can we even move the pictures we have at PB to another host without paying their ransom???

I upload direct from my PC to here so I'm ok here but some sites don't seem to allow it.
OldTrucker
OldTrucker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sun 09 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

I have a lot of photos in Photobucket, They almost all are of my models and the building of them. I figure that they now are lost, unless I run the gauntlet to retrieve one for some reason.
But, they are not that precious to me. I used them  to post on modeling sites, but they are to me just what my models are. My joy was to build them and secondary to post on  modeling sites. Except for a select few in a case that I fashioned, they all reside inboxes on a shelf. They have served their purpose. I have not seen many of them in years.
I only have been in Skids place for quite a while( starting at Sharks realm and then at Bucks), and recently I ventured back into Scale Model. The only loss, for me, of staying out of Photobucket  will be if they, somehow, delete the photos I have posted here in the past.
When I was a member of Drastic Plastic, I used their Fotki which suffered a major crash. That's when I went to Photobucket's free hosting. Fotki tried to get all photos back at DP, but many are lost apparently forever. I can, and do, go back there rarely, to pick up on a really old build.
One would think the revenue Photobucket gets from the deluge of advertising it reaps, they would have enough. But that's not the  way business works
Greed seems to rule every aspect of our free country !

Off of the soap box.
Clay
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTrucker Sun 09 Jul 2017, 4:50 pm

Clay, the sad part is they originally said "high usage" members but I have only used maybe 18% of my free account space. Then with no warning to give you time to move your pictures to somewhere else!
What they did is tantamount to a shake down holding your pictures hostage!
I know one person that shelled out the money because he had over 250 items for sale on ebay and amazon that had lost their pictures! That happened to 1000's of people and I'm sure many shelled out the cash because their home businesses were hurt bad by this!
I would not be surprised if a lawsuit does not arise from this!
OldTrucker
OldTrucker

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 09 Jul 2017, 6:33 pm

Geezerman wrote:I have a lot of photos in Photobucket, I figure that they now are lost, unless I run the gauntlet to retrieve one for some reason.
:

you can retrieve every pic you have posted on photobucket by doing this....

Go into Library. On the right hand side of the screen is a section that says Actions. Just select Download Album.

it worked for me, luckily i had less than a thousand pics on there
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 09 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm

This is precisely why I took some time to find a web host that allows direct posting when I set up the site.

I wouldn't trust an offsite host ever again after Fotki lost all my photos, including 250 or so of the early stage building of the Phoenix. Never even got the common courtesy of an apology. In fact they didn't even reply to my emails!!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 10 Jul 2017, 11:21 am

I can live without going back to Photobucket for anything. But what ticks me off is that I just looked back on this site to one of my old builds that had Photobucket pics and they are not there any more !!
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 3868354571
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 1757741307
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 1704234926
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 3937484207
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 3188091063 Crap ! out of emoticons !!
Geezer
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 10 Jul 2017, 11:52 am

Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 000_1723_zpsb6e35c31

I had deleted Photobucket from my bookmarks, so I googled it back and playing around, I tried 'copy image address' on this old foto. Used the HTML like always. Wondering if it will stay ?
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

It's gone already

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 11 Jul 2017, 1:29 am

2whl wrote:It's gone already

Yep. It came up on the site this morning !
Have you seen the stunt Photobucket is pulling .......... 3868354571
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down