Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revell Hi-Roller

Go down

Revell Hi-Roller Empty Revell Hi-Roller

Post by Guest Thu 28 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm

Several year ago, when the Northwest NNL was still at the Elks building in East Portland, I think it was on Sandy I bought these 8 kits for 60 bucks. Never had any real intention on building a motorcycle, but the guy told me it was a complete collection of the Revell Bikes. So I thought that's less than 8 bucks a kit so I bought them. Now I need to decide which one to build for this Forum Project we have coming up. Looking at the box art and not being a Motorcycle guy I don't really think it makes any difference. Looking at them they seem about all the same. There is some differences in the rear fenders, seats and tanks.

Has anyone build these kits that can help me pick the easy one to start with? It doesn't look like there are to many parts to any of them. Right now I am thinking "Torch" is as good a place as any to start. I kinda like the look of it.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_2910

Back to top Go down

Revell Hi-Roller Empty Re: Revell Hi-Roller

Post by Guest Thu 28 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm

Okay the inspector and his assistant were here today and the decision has been made. This is the bike I will build for the community build.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_2911

Here is the decision making process in action.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_2912

Revell Hi-Roller 102_2913

So the next step is to put the Oldsmobile in a box and do this one then go bock to the Olds, and the funny cars, and the slat flat car.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:04 am

Well it's time to add to the madness here. I have started this kit and will show what's going on. The kit is even simpler than I thought it would be. There are 57 parts but some of them aren't used. Two fuel tanks, two sets of wheels, two exhaust systems.

So this is where I am. I wanted to do some things I haven't tried before, other than an experiment and figured that all the chrome on this one would let me do it. Two sets of decals in the kit so I picked the one with the white lettering and gold dice, so white and gold. Then painted tall the white parts (expect seat and battery) with House of Kolor Solar Gold Metallic, then painted everything with House of Kolor Violette Kandy.

I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, but it's a hard color to photograph. When I look at the parts they are a happy shade of Purple, when I photograph them they look more Brandywine. When I used the Violette paint to do the flat spots in the spokes of the wheels, the purple really showed up with a chrome under base. Next time I will use a silver metallic under base and see where that puts me.

Gold Under base:

Revell Hi-Roller 102_2914

with candy paint on:

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3010

Here is a little mock up. You can see the difference in the hue of the Kandy Violette looking at the spokes of the wheels and the frame.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3011

Everyone seems to have an idea about washes and how to make them or where to buy them. For a couple or more years now I have been experimenting with the Dulpi-color Metalcast paints. They are really transparent paints, like a candy, and give a stunning effect when put over model car chrome. I have used the Red and Blue for A&N fittings and it works awesome. So I have been wanting to use some of the new color "Smoke" in a build. It is like a transparent Black color , Candy Black for want of a better name. So by holding the spray can 18 inches away from the parts and misting the black on you get a permanent Black Wash that brings out the detail of the chrome parts.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3012

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3013

Here are the engine and brake rotors after two coats. I am gonna stop here. You can put it on but can't take it off.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3014

Here is a picture to try to show you the difference between the painted and unpainted chrome.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3015

So that's where I am at. I have three coats of clear on all the color parts and will cut and buff it before putting the decals on. Now I am on to mess with the chrome parts some more. All comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:16 am

I have been working on this and taking pictures and then not updating. That is a bad habit to get into.So today I uploaded over 100 pics to here:

http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/user/Zbuckster/library/hNon-Automotive%20Buildup%20Gallery/Motorcycle/Hi%20Roller

If you want to see more than what I am offering here you can go there.

After getting all the things painted that needed to be painted I was looking at how much chrome there is on this model. I know how that the Dulpi-color Smoke metalcast paint will do a good job on the chrome as far as adding detail I wanted more. The "High Roller" decal sheet is done in Gold and White, so I thought I would try to carry that color scheme through out the build.

I had experimented with the Dulpi-color Yellow Metalcast paint. It is really like a candy Gold. It works awesome on Power brake boosters and the such. So I decided to try it out on this one and see if it would break up the Chrome.

Here is a test shot on a plastic tree to see how the colors would look.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3016

I liked what I saw and decided to detail some of the chrome pieces with the Metalcast Yellow. No real plan or pattern I just started to pick out little things and then mock it up for a look see.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3017

Then I wet sanded and polished all the painted parts and added the decals. That way I would be a better feel for the colors as I went.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3110

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3112

Then wanting to keep the seat within the color scheme and still have it look a little like leather. I used Pure White and Maple Sugar Tan acrylic craft paint and a couple coats of dull coat. I got the seat looking like this.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3114

That got me to here.

Revell Hi-Roller 102_3115

Now I have to detail the Hand grips and foot pegs, take it all apart and glue it together. The foot pegs have other thing cast in like, transmission shifter lever, foot brake and the such. The hand grips have the clutch and brake levers molded in also. So not sure how all that will look until I get going on it.

All comments and questions are welcome. This is my first motorcycle build so if you see me going off base to far say something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:17 am

Now I know I've seen this somewhere. :lol:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:19 am

:lol!: I bet you have :lol!:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content