Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings!

5 posters

Go down

Greetings! Empty Greetings!

Post by TJZ Sat 26 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

Greetings all,
I've been researching the Revell (a.k.a. Matchbox) 1:25 Austin Healey 100-Six kit and Skid's 2013 build caught my eye.

The 1959 version of this kit--its first--is as old as I am. Somehow, when I wasn't looking, a whimsical notion of building the same kind of car my neighbor Mr. Carlson had in his garage, in pieces, when I was mowing his lawn every week for a few dollars 40 years ago has transformed into a compelling project anticipating silicone molds and sheet brass cut with a jeweler's saw and soldered together with a 120 watt iron.

And, it seems, an interest in the quirks of this particular Revell kit. Here's one example. Skid's post refers to a missing oil filler tube. That's what Revell called this part since 1961, and maybe 1960. In 1959, however, the same part was correctly identified as--wait for it--the distributor.

Big Healeys receive fresh oil in the convenient port on the top, front of the rocker cover, a part, by the way, very nicely depicted in Revell's 1:25 kit from 1959 to its latest 2010 re-release.

I can't say what happened with Revell's thinking between 1959 and 1961, but the distributor must have been a matter of some confusion for Revell because its instructions depict installing it behind the oil filter (behind--as oriented with the car), and subsequently depicting it a few images later as installed in front of the oil filter.

Perhaps Revell thought this part had migratory powers. I'm not being sarcastic, here. After all, Revell migrated the oil filter frontwards, near the generator, and in a vertical position from its proper 1:1, horizontal position at the rear of the engine block, just above the starter motor.

OK, maybe I'm being a little sarcastic, but out of love. It's out of love.

I own the 1961 competition version of the kit (green plastic, not motorized) and the 1976 version (red plastic, fat vinyl tires) and two copies of the 1996 release (white plastic and chrome). I also own the instructions only of the 1959 release--I have enough plastic.

Inquiring minds want to know, what gives, Ravell?

Skid's comment about his kit having been produced in the early 1960s combined with his pictures showing parts chromed by the manufacturer got my researcher's juices flowing.

You see, Ravell's first version offered only white plastic. Shortly thereafter, a second version was offered, identical to the first, but with the scale brightwork in chrome. My green plastic competition version would come later.

I do not have any information about the instructions in this second kit. Is this where Revell first renamed the distributor as the oil filler tube or was this change made in the 1961 green plastic kit? The instructions would need changing so as NOT to indicate that the (now) chromed parts should be painted silver.

My hope was that Skid used the second version of the kit, thus offering a conclusion that the change was made there--Skid did call it an oil filler tube.

Unfortunately, Skid replied to my short post with a picture of the 2010 kit version. It is also made in white plastic and chrome (plus decals!).

Research continues.

Professionally, I have been a software programmer and a mosaic artist. The mosaic work has ruined my back--it was all that leaning over the table to set the fiddly bits, so I am back to software.

It's all in the details, friends.

Oh yes, why was Mr. Carlson's Austin Healey in pieces? Well, Mr. Carlson had a teenage son and there was this tree or was it a ditch? I can't remember.

It's a pleasure to visit.

TJZ

Back to top Go down

Greetings! Empty Re: Greetings!

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum TJZ, its a very nice place to be. (do you prefer TJZ, or have you a first name you don't mind sharing?)

Interesting little bit of history above, it'll be nice to see one of your models come together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

Welcome to Skids !!

By the way, whatever happened to the one in pieces in the garage?
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:52 pm

Welcome. Very interesting read you posted. I have wonder what Revell was up to on many occasions myself. I was good friends with Bob Paeth, he worked for Revell in the early 60's in research and development. Listening to the stories he used to tell I can believe anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:59 pm

TJZ..... sorry I mislead you. The box art I showed in the other thread is wrong. Searched through another site and my Healey was built from this kit, which dates to 1976 I believe.

Greetings! Austin10

BTW, if you know of a 1:24 - 1:25 kit of the Big Healey 3000, I'd love to know about it please.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 6:17 pm

I never knew we had "kit" anthropologists here! In any form the kit is a pretty basic. As to the instruction sheet weirdness, I figure the printing of the sheets was done by somebody not so familiar (or concerned) with facts. Stuff happens and especially since manufacturers believed most kits went to small kids, it didn't matter. Thanx for the info. Maybe someday I'll get to building again and do my kit 100-6 as original or the mid '60s terror, blown drag racer. Thanx and welcome!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

Skid wrote:
BTW, if you know of a 1:24 - 1:25 kit of the Big Healey 3000, I'd love to know about it please.

DITTO !!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TJZ Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm

Colin - My name is Tony.

Sorry guys, the only AH 3000 I have seen is in 1/32 as brands Aurora or Advent or Revell.

I seem to remember a 1/42 AH 3000, but I do not recall if it was plastic or white metal. Of course, larger white metal examples are available in 1/18.

Truth is, my knowledge begins and ends with Revell's 1/25 kit. I have researched regional artists and local buildings before, so it was a pleasurable activity as time past while I constructed my workbench.

Sam - As for the fate of Mr. Carlson's 1 1/2 Big Healeys? He was already retired when I was mowing his lawn. By the time I had the resources to act during any visit to my parents' home, he had already moved away. The sad fact is, I asked him about the car a number of times, hoping to kindle more information from him, but he always just looked sad and said that the parts car that he had bought (the 1/2) was the wrong type of Big Healey.

Mr. Carlson's car was an AH 3000 Mark 3, Phase 2, a cabriolet or 2 plus 2, if you like. This was a six cylinder, of course, but I never researched the topic when I was a boy. It seems unlikely that he would have bought a 100-4 (four cylinder). The grill is distinctly different and . . . well . . . the engine had only four cylinders. The frame was also 2 inches shorter than the six cylinder cars, around the doors, a real fitment issue.

He might have picked up a 100/6, but only a few of its parts would be unique. Maybe he acquired one of the six cylinder two seaters. All I can remember is that the parts car transmission had an unusual double bend in the shifter, sort of an "N" shape, but with very short vertical legs.

I have only seen two examples of this in the Web and each was a 100/6.

Of course, I could have shopped elsewhere, and I idly considered it, but eventually I bought a house with a lawn mower and leaky furnace oil tank and . . .

Skid - no problem with the mis-identified kit. By the way, it is my suspicion that the 1992 Matchbox kit used the same tires as the 1976 red plastic kit, but returned to the white plastic. I base this on some good Ebay photographs of the Matchbox kit. Matchbox and Revell cross-licensed their kits for a year or so.

harron68 - Have you seen the very few pictures of the "Hemi-Healy"? The misspelling was intentional. Bob Ida built the car, sold it, and settled down. Now he and his son run Rob Ida Concepts (www.robidaconcepts.com/) and make custom automobiles. A few years ago, they found and purchased the car for restoration. Maybe you would like to try a scratch job to complete the gasser before they do?

Here are the only links I know of with pics:
Views of the left side:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1812811&d=1355526831
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1813209&d=1355575224
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1814086&d=1355672523
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1814059&stc=1&d=1355671276

The only view of the right side is in the form of T-shirt art:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1813248&d=1355581622

All of these images are from a post offered by Bob Ida's son at the same car forum. He tells the story well:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760394&showall=1

harron68 - Imagine all the engine and general fitment issues you get to avoid by attempting this gasser!

Well, I should close by saying that I probably won't be showing a build any time soon. As I have considered my project and acquired backup parts, I have decided to focus my efforts in developing skills in brass work and casting, preferring these materials to start. From this, I will decide what materials will be used for what parts later on.

If anyone comes across the 1959 or 1960 second version with the white plastic and chrome (model H1217:139--that's 1-three-9; not, 1-two-9, the very first kit), please let me know.

Happy modelling.

TJZ

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 11:56 pm

I sure do remember the astonishing power shown in the magazines back then from it.  There are some fine fotos I found a while back on the Web. The biggest problem, prices aside, in getting a real oldie like that is often there are some serious warpage issues.  Thanx for the info, now somebody needs to make one!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:56 pm

Hello Tony - nice to see another face (so to speak)

The beauty of modelling is you can add as much detail and modifications as you wish,
or build straight out of the box. With the size of some models compromises have to be made,
both by the manufacturer and our personal skills.
.....However you build a model, the prime function is to enjoy it ! Happy Building !!

Greetings! F5e9da49-10b2-4d4d-8f47-9879ae1ef0d3_zps475508b2

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 27 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

Now you're teasing me Ron!!!  Greetings! 1757741307 Greetings! 2704104872 

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 1:30 am

We're lucky at this site to have so many talented and active builders! Thanx again to all for the nice info on the old Austin-Healeys. The expansion to take in greater variety in models has opened our eyes to new possibilities and techniques. May you find the friendship and fotos here as enjoyable as I do!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 12 May 2014, 12:36 am

Welcome.
I feel I must be half Revell, now, as I take an awful lot of liberties with any model.  Greetings! 3331969777 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum