Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox.

+4
Geezerman
webby
Skid
Sam
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Empty Re: Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox.

Post by john2308 Sun 30 Mar 2014, 7:51 pm

Looks good Colin  Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 3887228019  The battery cables look about right cause you use thicker gauge wire in a race car. Seat belts, would have to see them on the seat as to how they looked for size. What are the buckles and adjusters from ??
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Empty Re: Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox.

Post by Guest Sun 30 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

Got some good detailing going on here. Just to my eye the plug wires look a little big in diameter. I really like the seat belt buckles, where did you get them? Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 1705482731 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

The plug cables look really big in the photos but not so bad by eye so I'll leave them this time, saying this I found some thinner wire I had stripped from a mini usb cable.... Typically "after" I fitted this lot in.

The seat belts are hand made, masking tape painted (in scale of 2 inch real belts), the adjusters are fuse wire bent to shape and the tape threaded through with a piece or wire through the loop to add a tension bar. The buckle ends are flattened solder wire cut to shape with a sharp scalpel and glued on.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:30 pm

Seat belts look pretty good. When I built I tried tiny pieces of cut up aluminum pop cans for buckles and all I got were a bunch of tiny cuts on my fingers!
I've seen fotos of the "hobby stox" racing done in the U.K. and they ARE wild. Thanx!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:45 pm

Here's a kids race from Kings Lynn,  one of the average speed venues..... Enjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 30 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm

The interior looks great Colin and the tank looks terrific.

I have to agree that the plug leads do look to large though.

You have mail coming.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Sun 30 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

Kool Racing, I watched a couple of the video's and that's what I call racing     Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 1705482731      Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 1705482731 

Thanks Colin, enjoyed it.
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Mar 2014, 12:01 am

No problems John.

Forgot to mention the petrol tank is a square capacitor from a mixed bag of electronic components painted in Citadel "Bolton metal"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Apr 2014, 3:16 pm

Here's where i am at the mo .....
Going to rip the HT leads out and replace them with better scaled wire (after the help and advice offered from our great leader, thank Al :))
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1336
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1337
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1338

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 1705482731 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 01 Apr 2014, 7:22 pm

That looks awesome !
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 02 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 3887228019 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Wed 02 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

Hi Colin,

WOW, this is looking great...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

thanks guys

well i pulled the thicker wire out and replaced it with some "more to scale" (thanks AL)
I had a go at replicating the plug/dizzy caps with some black sleeving from thicker wire, had to make a new dizzy too (its just some styrene tube)

What do you think?
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1339

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Wed 02 Apr 2014, 3:22 pm

Hi Colin,

They look so much better, although she going to sound a bit rough when you do get her running, your number 2 and 3 leads are the wrong way round...Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Terrified

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Dammit....... I'd got an image in front of me as well...... Stupid stupid stupid

I'll do it tomorrow..... There's prehistoric bones needing digging up tonight :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 5:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 7:24 pm

Nice detailing.
- as these are raced by kids, are you 'bending' a few panels,
or is this modelled on a race one, day one, car ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 9:57 pm

It's a race one day one car Ron......

I'm going to pick a couple more of these up and do one mint condition, and I'll have a bash at the tin foil panel trick I've seen in the tutorials section on here and dent a few panels in.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

EXCELLENT!!!!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm

Got the external frame tacked together.
Made from "scale" 2 3/4ins square, 2ins square and 2ins round
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1340

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1341

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:40 pm

External safety cages ?
Back in the dim and distant past, it was a bit of scaffold pole for an internal roll cage for me.

The striped one I rebuilt over a winter, and first time out, after two circuits it was rammed into a post
and hit on multiple occasions by other cars. I pulled the wheels and carb off it it and left the remains for scrap !

Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 0d4a18a6-138c-41af-be94-d57c78860894_zps10b81a4dTamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 D6df788a-9d85-43f6-8a1f-279e512223bf_zpsd0ec72dc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

Ive had my fair share of that Ron, and it brings back some (painful) memories.

Triumph 2000, scaffold poles through the wings/doors etc, block of concrete in the front and in the boot, town and country tyres for grip .....
Lutterworth was my banger racing track .... through the years i went from sitting and watching to driving and getting pulverised (car and body organs)

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Fri 04 Apr 2014, 6:17 pm

Nice work on the 'nerf work' Colin. Looks good.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Apr 2014, 5:32 pm

well after fitting it all together, adding some final plumbing and wiring we have it finished

full images in finished build section
https://skidsplace.forumotion.com/t1637-mini-cooper-ministox#15769
Tamiya Mini Cooper, modified to Ministox. - Page 2 Sam_1342

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum