Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I decided to go for a walk this morning..

+5
harron68
Sam
Skid
beowulf
RetiredMike
9 posters

Go down

I decided to go for a walk this morning.. Empty I decided to go for a walk this morning..

Post by Guest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 3:33 pm

I decided to go for a walk this morning, to Shildon 'Locomotion' Railway Museum,
...just under three miles from my village.
I joined the crowds to see the collection of five of 6 remaining A4 Streamline Locomotives,
which were built in 1937/38 and included the 'Mallard' World Speed Record breaker.
I'm not really a railway enthusiast, but I couldn't fail to be impressed by such a rare group.

I decided to go for a walk this morning.. Df2ddc35-1ca8-4f8d-a26b-4b806f8cd375_zps8872af7b

Back to top Go down

I decided to go for a walk this morning.. Empty Re: I decided to go for a walk this morning..

Post by RetiredMike Sat 22 Feb 2014, 3:56 pm

Very impressive collection of beautifully designed old power.

Thanks for the pic.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

I decided to go for a walk this morning.. Empty Re: I decided to go for a walk this morning..

Post by beowulf Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:38 pm

bugger............thats less than 25 miles from me...........wish id known cos i would have made the trip

im not into trains either but thats a big occasion
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

Like everyone else I am not into trains but, that is way cool. I would have enjoyed seeing them up close also. Thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

Bugger from me also Paul. I'd have gone too. Guess it was just the one day Ron?

A few years ago, the Mallard came right past our house on the way to Carlisle. I was within fifteen yards of it going at speed. What a memorable sight it was!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

Thanks Ron, those are beauties !
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:42 pm

The last day is tomorrow before they split up and go back to various other Museums.
The road traffic was heavy today with vehicles queuing past my village - a 3-mile tailback,
which is why I left the car at home and walked - fortunately the weather was bright and sunny.
Tomorrow is expected to be even busier although rain is forecast.

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:25 pm

The older we get the more we understand and appreciate the past and what folks have accomplished. Very cool trains! One of the earliest streamliners here in the U.S. was the Electro Motive diesel, which did runs to and from Chicago to the coasts beginning in the '30s. Very cool for me to see ones as rare as yours. Congrats and thanx!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

Hi Mr D,

Thank you so much for showing us these, they are rare beauties, I do have a soft spot for the old steam trains, they are like old cars these days, each one is unique, unlike all the jelly moulds that are about now...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 24 Feb 2014, 12:14 pm

Was a model RR'er many years ago (backwoods and narrow gauge) But being in close proximity of old steam engines is an awe inspiring experience.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:31 am

Haven't worked on my HO train layout for about 2 yrs. now, it is in the 1890's era and all steam. Cool looking steamers  I decided to go for a walk this morning.. 3887228019 
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:38 am

Wow. Five in one place. I see 2 are 'in steam'. Were arrive under their own power?

Thanks for sharing, Ron.

Chris
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:57 am

I understand that the Mallard hasn't run for a while, Chris, and will be going back to York for a refit,
which means it could be another two years before it runs again.
Not too sure how the others arrived.

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:10 am

Thanks Ron. Hopefully we'll see these elegant machines in steam for a long time yet.

webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down