Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger)

+4
Geezerman
Brizio
tony557
Skid
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Empty 1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger)

Post by Skid Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:02 pm

Well, now you know the plan.

The car will be built stock apart from the engine. No Shay, it won't have a 427 Hemi!!!. It's going to have Riley OHV head conversion to 'hop it up' some and out run the cops. The engine was supplied to me by a member on another site and is from a 1931 Ford Woody.

The boot opens but I won't use the rumble seat cushions as that is where the 'hooch' is going to go.

If anyone has any ideas on what the hooch would have looked like, tank, barrel, drums etc, I'd be pleased to hear them!

First photos a bit later.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 0014310

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Empty Re: 1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger)

Post by tony557 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

Here you go Alan. This is a clay jug that was used in a 58 Ford that was chased at over 100mph hauling moonshine.
1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Photo-1-antique-moonshine-jug-225x300_zps9ad78b1e
got the pic from a write up on moonshine smuggling and they are some what a antique now by all accounts.

Tony.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Empty Re: 1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger)

Post by tony557 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

Handmade clay jugs like this one were often used for storing moonshine. For collectors looking to get into whiskey making and moonshining, a jug like this is a good place to start.

Aug. 10, 1958, just north of Blacksburg, Va.:

The blue ’58 Ford sedan was hard to keep on the road. Moving at nearly 90 miles per hour and heavily loaded in the back, the car’s front tires weren’t making good contact with the pavement, causing the vehicle to “dance” over the winding and hilly mountain roads. The Ford was equipped with a supercharged Offenhauser engine, believed by many to be the best racing engine ever built. At 90 mph, the Ford was nowhere near its maximum speed. The back seat and the trunk of the Ford were loaded with 200 gallons (1,300 lbs.) of moonshine whiskey destined for Winston-Salem, N.C..

The Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) enforcement agent spotted the Ford from a high bank overlooking the road. ABC agents had received intelligence about this run, and a trap had been set. At the Gap Mills Bridge, two Thunderbird interceptors blocked the road, forming a “V” that no car could pass. A mile down the road from the lookout, a pursuit car waited: a souped-up 1950 Oldsmobile 88. The pursuit car would chase the liquor-laden Ford to the blockade, bringing it to a halt.

That’s the way it was supposed to happen. But the Ford’s driver had other plans.

The Ford pulled away from the pursuit vehicle and was going nearly 100 mph as it approached the bridge. Moving too fast to stop, the Ford’s driver tried to turn the vehicle into a cornfield adjacent to the road. The heavy load in the back caused the Ford to spin around 180 degrees and continue down the road backwards for 285 feet (nearly the length of a football field) while its tires spun forward at a high rate of speed. The tire’s burning rubber released billows of blue smoke, and an acrid odor and squeals filled the air. Sparks were flying from underneath the Ford, and an ABC agent later testified that he saw a great ball of fire coming from the Ford’s dual exhaust headers.

When the Ford’s driver regained control of the vehicle, he tore through the cornfield. The surprised ABC agents jumped into their Thunderbirds to pursue the Ford, but they were just “chasing air”—the Ford was nowhere to be seen. Days later, the Ford was found along with two other vehicles and 2,000 gallons of illegal whiskey in a barn just south of Christiansburg, Va.

Regards Tony.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by Brizio Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:54 am

Nice idea!

Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 10 Dec 2013, 11:33 am

Cool, Skid.
So many ways to go with this neat model, eh?
I was mildly chastised for even building one of these rare babies.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Dec 2013, 5:31 pm

They are rare, I heard they only made 6,000 of them. Also Heard that Revell was going to re-issue it because of high demand. If it comes back I will buy a case of them.LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm

No doubt by a 'collector Clay. Well, in my book, kits are meant for building, so 'Sod 'em' If it was the last one in the world, I'd still build it!!! Just out of spite!!! LOL

So true Clay.

Thanks for the intersting write up Tony.

At first I was going to do the body as per box art, but then thought 'a bootlegger surely wouldn't shell out extra for a two tone paint scheme... would he?'

Then I thought of Old Henry 'Any colour as long as it's black' but thought it too boring.

Looking through my stash of paint I spotted a tub of Revell Aqua Color Purpurrot (Purple Red) water based acrylic. Horrible stuff to use which I don't get on well with. BUT it was the perfect colour for this one, so I bit the bullet..

Just in base coat at the mo, gloss 2k to follow. Roof will get a medical tape 'fabric panel' after the gloss.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 00146

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 00428

The front seat has no back to it (Clever since the boot opens!! don't ya think?? LOL) so I had to make one.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 00236

I haven't yet figured out what to do about the 'hooch' containers yet. Still working on it.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Dec 2013, 1:21 am

Great start. Nice color I think it's perfect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Dec 2013, 1:40 am

Al: Love the color! How is the fit of the "boot" when it is closed? I had fits with the one I have stalled out on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu 12 Dec 2013, 4:03 am

Love this one Al. My grandfather was a bootlegger back in the day. lol  The exterior of the car was as plain as possible so it would not attract attention and painted in the most common color for that particular car, so it would blend in. It what was under the hood, and drivetrain upgrades that counted. Heavy duty springs and shocks because of the heavy load were common modifications.
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:13 am

Kewel!
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 12 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

Thanks guys.

Sam.... I figured they'd use the most common colour, which was probablly black!!. LOL. But I already have a black 32 so wanted a sort of non descript colour. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

John.... the fit of the 'Trunk' can best be described as 'slack' LOL. It doesn't matter though as it will be displayed in the open position to show the 'shine'.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 12 Dec 2013, 12:27 pm

Really like that color, Skid !!
 1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 3331969777 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:56 pm

Hi Mr Skid Sir,

Maybe this owner thought that seeing as the rest of the runners normally used the most common colours and the agents themselves would also be looking and checking the most common coloured vehicles, they'd think to themselves that surely no one would use a colour that stands out, so your chap gets away with it each time...1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Cheers-1

Looking great so far, I think the colour really suits the car to...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:37 pm

Nice build Al love the colour. As for the hooch get the jugs made  1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 2704104872 the runners would have wrapped them with a corn flour sack to stop them banging and smashing off each other.
The donk would have probably ran on hooch to or at least had a drop put in the gas to give it a bit extra kick.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 11:04 pm

Yes indeed!
1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) Scotch-on-the-rocks
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brizio Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:41 am

Beautiful color combo! :)

Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:42 am

Thanks all.

It's been suggested on another site that the better to reflect a bootleg car, I should leave the paint as is. ie..... NOT clear coat.

I'd planned on clear coating, then, muddying/dusting it up some as if run on wet/dusty dirt back roads.

What do you think guys, which way should I go?

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:43 am

I think leave it alone. it's not supposed to be a shiny car. Just a well used old car. That was the beauty of the bootlegger. Nothing that would attract attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sat 14 Dec 2013, 1:21 am

I agree with skipping the clear coat. Might make it easier to add the dust and dirt!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

OK..... my peers on two sites are in total agreement. No clear coat. Just muddy/dusty it up some.

That gives me the perfect excuse to look for another to build as Henry intended!!!! Muhahahahaha!!!!  1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 524092055

I can't find any scale bottles or carbuoys of suitable size but I did find these. So I have both coming in the next few days.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 28_01010

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 28_00610

Both are 1/35th scale but size in this case is relative.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

Guess I'll belatedly join the consensus, I like the suede' look you have.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 17 Dec 2013, 7:10 pm

I got the engine assembled.

As I want this one wrapped up by Dec 24th, apart from adding a coil, this is it as far extra  wiring/plumbing goes.

Revellogram, didn't provide any spark plugs or spark plug locations for this one so I copied Bucks Bonneville build for the plug locations.

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 00627

1930 Ford Model A Coupe. (Bootlegger) 00922

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 17 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm

Lookin good !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:57 pm

Good looking engine Al.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next