Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad?

3 posters

Go down

Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad? Empty Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad?

Post by BrentH Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 1:44

Trying to complete a very old build, I'm getting my butt kicked once again by decals. Never were my favorite thing to do and now I remember why.... I can't get these things to lay down. Been at it for 20 minutes and the Set or Sol is like wiping water over the decal. Does this stuff go bad??

Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad? IMG_00001094_zps72249328

Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad? IMG_00001095_zps98e7a5bc
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad? Empty Re: Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad?

Post by Guest Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 5:37

I am not sure. I have never heard of it going bad, but it could. Have you tried shaking the bottle to Stir things up? Maybe it settles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 11:43

I had an old bottle setting around for a couple of years (seldom use decals) and I went to use it just the other week for a small thing I wanted to apply to something. When I grabbed the bottle it to open it, the cap crumbled/disintegrated in my hand. The fluid was intact, and I transferred it to the decal I was applying. It worked fine.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by john2308 Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 18:30

Some times you have to put on a thick coat and let it set for 24hrs. untouched for it to settle the decals if they are real thick flim, Monogram is good for that, and maybe put on another coat after that, if two coats don't settle them down after 24hrs. each coat then I just put on an extra coat of clear and it will hide it some what Decal Set and Sol, does it go bad? 4191971827  I've never had a bottle go bad and I've used the same bottle for 3 yrs.
john2308
john2308

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 21:07

I did shake it up.... I'll keep at it... Will keep you posted.
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Thu 14 Nov 2013 - 14:16

Thanks for the help guys. So the solution just dried on the decal, wasn't doing a thing so I attempted taking a hair dryer and using heat. It was like putting a wrap on a car, as soon as the heat hit the decal it conformed beautifully BUT it surprisingly took a lot of heat. Medium setting on the hairdryer didn't touch it so had to use high setting. The hood went perfectly. Then I tackled the side door decals and I knew this was going to be the make it or break it part as the door has deep body lines. One side went well the other side I got too much heat onto the body which did not hurt the decal at all but I deformed the window pillar..... :evil: I was paying so much attention to the decal, never thought about the plastic on the kit as being the weak link..... So once again I lose the battle with decals. After spending so much time on the three color paint job that I was very happy with it's all for nothing. I wasn't going to finish the build but thought it's wrecked now so might as well keep practicing with it. I'll post the finish build once i get some pictures taken of it. Really feel like taking all my kits with decals and tossing them Grrrrrr.
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down