Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer

4 posters

Go down

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Empty Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer

Post by deckape Thu 09 May 2013, 2:31 am

Ahoy Sailors
Here is a oldie I had since 1962 lollllllllll Hmmmmmmmmmm seems like every model I have has a story behind it here is another....I got this from a discount store called A to Z discounts during my young boyhood I always ventured in to the store to see what they have in plastic or wood a lot of the stuff they stocked up they didn,t have at the hobby shop............ I walked over to the stock shelf where they display the models and they had a pile of these stocked from the weather deck to the overhead they were listed for $11.95 but thye had them marked down to $ 4.00 a pop I bought 6 of them for $24.00 you got a lot of plastic that's how it was back in those days swell to look back on but no cigar today.........I took them aboard ship and stuffed them in my sea locker with all six of them it was a tight squeeze My Division officer Ensign Powell a 19 year old 90 day wonder I was 2 years older then him at the time.. I was very interested in one these kits he was a great guy more of a buddy then my division officer........... I gave it to him and he as a happy camper what he did with the kit is unknown to my knowledge..............the intire 1st division was interested in getting one of these off too, so I ended up selling my stash and kept one .

The Model

This is the last of the Big 6 this kit has been around for a longgggggggggggggggg time since its release in 1962 this model is your typical Lindberg kit. the kit came with a 9 volt electric motor that operated a gear reduction box that was fitted with a cam that controlled the rudder for the selected course set by you, the kit came with 4 cams.........cam 1. selects the straight course, 2. selects the figure 8 course, 3 selects the square course, 4 selects the course set in a tight circle, the 5 inch turrets and torpedo tubes move as well. pure gimmick it works this build had the old gearbox reduction but I scuttled it to make preparations for RC. the main deck is removable for servicing ......... A great kit a lot can be done with this kit I see them all the time on ebay. Here is the USS. MELVIN DD 685

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Pict0069

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Pict0070

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Pict0071

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Pict0072
deckape
deckape

Back to top Go down

Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer Empty Re: Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer

Post by coyote Thu 09 May 2013, 4:05 am

I remember seeing this kit on the shelves too. It was a long time ago. Your divisional officer appears to be someone who was an OK guy. Probably an admiral now in charge of model supplies LOL. Nice work Franklyn.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 09 May 2013, 4:19 am

Stunning looking ship! Glad to see you kept at least one of them for yourself. Keep them beautiful ships and airplanes a comin'! I like your work. 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 May 2013, 6:04 pm

Super nice. I always enjoy the stories that come with your models and the models themselves. Nice work. Keep them coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Fri 10 May 2013, 11:30 am

Nice !
If it was motorized, and yer considering converting it to RC, it must be of a decent size, eh?
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down