Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

+4
disabled modeler
dublin boy
Skid
Spanky 19
8 posters

Go down

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Post by Spanky 19 Thu 05 Mar 2020, 5:48 am

I've had two glue-bombs of the AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" kit. With the demise of Holden, I decided to convert these Nova kits into a Sport Ute (maybe with right hand drive). It will still be a Nova ... with a bit of international flare.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5511

With coupe to truck conversions, they always seem to have a too-short wheelbase. To remedy this, I used tape to mark where the lengthening cuts will be made (5 mm width used here). On a side note, I stripped the paint using Easy-Off brand oven cleaner.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5512

Here is where I am at tonight with the lengthened "bed". Still needs a little more work to dial in this conversion.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5513

Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty Re: AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Post by Skid Thu 05 Mar 2020, 8:43 am

That's quite a project but a nice start Chris. AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1792231099

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty Re: AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Post by dublin boy Thu 05 Mar 2020, 6:33 pm

I love the madness here Chris, keep going AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1705482731
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Mon 09 Mar 2020, 1:23 am

Made a few steps forward in dialing in the roof line.  

In this picture note that the C-Pillar was elevated a few MM to counter the lower line created with the coupe's roof.  Also, I did not care for the shrouded look of the C-Pillar.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5514

Here is where I am at this evening.  The top of the front window was lengthened about 3 MM then the C-Pillar line was straightened out with a filler piece which lined up with the door line.  I also started the tail gate by adding a piece cut from the edge of the trunk (this also helps re-establish the rear width of the truck).

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5516

Last edited by Spanky 19 on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Mon 09 Mar 2020, 6:25 pm

Nice.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Tue 10 Mar 2020, 10:41 am

Coll idea. I need the Pontiac version of the Nova kit to make our old 74 GTO from we once owned been on my wish list for decades.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 10 Mar 2020, 1:15 pm

Nice work Chris. Keep at it. AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:29 pm

Thanks guys ... been able to devote a bit of time to the build and work continues to rough-in the body.  

The Nova' Coupe's C-Pillars curved inward and did not align with the rear fenders...they had to be pushed outwards a few millimeters.  To aid in this, I scribed a relief on the inside of the C-pillar.  I plan to attack the finishing body work in this area before attaching the bed ... being open and accessible makes the putty, sand, prime, repeat process much easier.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5517

After pushing the C-pillar slopes outward to align with the fender (that relief cut allowed them to retain the new shape and not fight me), scrap plastic was used to fill the gab from the bottom of the roof pillar and the rear fender.  The final angle of the trail edge of the C-Pillar still needs a lot of refinement.  Also you can see the start of the bed made from sheet plastic.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5518

Also turned my attention to the hood ... had to do something because I needed it flat versus the drag scoop.  

I decided to use a Monogram Daytona Charger item modified by adding the front of one of the Nova's hoods and adjusting the rear curve to match the Nova's Cowl.  Surprisingly, they were the same width.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5520

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5519

Still a long way to go but liking how it is shaping up.  

Thanks again for all the views/encouragement and those who make this community possible.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Mon 16 Mar 2020, 4:26 pm

Still pounding away at the body.  

Here I shaved down the width of the C-Pillar.  After studying Rancheros and El Caminos, I noticed the rear fenders are taller then stock fenders.  Here, I added extensions cut from a scrap body taking care to try to retain the distinctive curve of the Nova's fender.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5521

Filled in with my go-to filler used for major body work, Milliput.  These shots show rough-sanding of the putty and then my first shot of primer on the bed and hood.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5524
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5523
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Mon 16 Mar 2020, 7:01 pm

Coming along nicely.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Wed 18 Mar 2020, 1:15 pm

Watching....
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Fri 20 Mar 2020, 4:19 pm

Hope this post finds all my Skids Place friends in good health and spirits.  

Work continues as I turn my focus on the bed and frame.

The stock frame had a kick up along with molded in wheel tubs that interfered with the truck bed.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5525

So I cut out the tubs and added a relief line and flattened it out.  Additionally, I added a 5MM strip my second behind the front subframe to match the lengthened body.  As I sanded the part to narrow the girth a bit I weakened the joint and caused it to break in half. I added a strengthening strip of styrene that bends in with the sub frame rails. I did put these on the inside because I wanted a tight fit between the chassis and bed.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5526

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5527

Next, I thought hard on the wheel tubs when the idea came to use the two over-size hood scoops to make them.  My first try was about 2 mm too short so I cut them apart and added a lengthening strip.  Here they are mocked up in the bed.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5528

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5529
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sat 21 Mar 2020, 4:16 pm

Great work, Chris. The body line looks similar to the smooth slopes of the late model Rancheros.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1705482731 AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1705482731 AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Sun 22 Mar 2020, 1:03 pm

The amount of effort going in here has to be respected.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Wed 25 Mar 2020, 1:18 pm

Turned another corner with my Ute build and permanently mated the bet to the body with 5 minute epoxy then turned my attention to the back window. Using a piece of plastic off a junk body I shaped a piece to fit in the opening with a slight sink.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5531

Drew the outline then used a pin vise to help cut out the window.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5530

Half round stock created the window trim.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5533

A mock up of the frame. Still some work to fill the corners.
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5532

Next will be finishing the back glass and work up a tailgate and molding in the bed with a bit of putty.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 25 Mar 2020, 4:53 pm

Excellent.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Wed 25 Mar 2020, 8:06 pm

dont know if this is of any interest......modern el camino they never built...sort of lol

beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Spanky 19 Thu 26 Mar 2020, 3:33 pm

Paul, that was a cool video ... and surprising closely connected to my build (other then the ute conversion).  

I was planning on giving the Nova a Pontiac vide.  I had a big block pontiac engine from the Raiders Stage Coach which I had started quite a few years ago for a failed build.  The block had been sanded and painted pontiac blue (didn't show well in the picture).  I am also considering using early 70's Pontiac rims from the parts box matched to some big and littles.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5534

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement ... it keeps the plastic flying and the glue sticking.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down