Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher

3 posters

Go down

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher Empty GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher

Post by Old Coyote Sat 30 Nov 2019, 5:13 pm

Here are before and after pictures of the diesel electric switcher I have bee restoring from my father's "O" Gauge model railroad collection. When I found the switcher in a box, it had been disassembled and gutted. I remember this unit from when I was a kid. I scrounged parts from his boxes, modified some, and scratchbuilt some parts to get this beast back into display condition. This switcher was originally built (and run) back in the early 1950's. The piece is all metal with the exception of the wood base I built to attach the driving trucks to the metal body.

What I started with:

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher BSu8G4m
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher VbF9z0W
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher VbF9z0W

What I ended up with

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher XnzCjZK
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher Vezz3Yo
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher DmearKM
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher 0QMtTMz
GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher Af2U3fI
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher Empty Re: GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher

Post by RetiredMike Mon 02 Dec 2019, 3:19 pm

Great job rejuvenating that little beauty. Is there any story behind the logo? I'm assuming it saw service for a power company.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher Empty Re: GE Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Industrial Switcher

Post by Old Coyote Tue 03 Dec 2019, 12:35 pm

RetiredMike wrote:Great job rejuvenating that little beauty.  Is there any story behind the logo?  I'm assuming it saw service for a power company.

Yes sir, this little beast, with "Reddy Kilowatt" on its sides, plied its trade at the Southwestern Public Service plant at Amarillo, Texas during the late 1940's and early 1950's.
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 03 Dec 2019, 3:09 pm

Thanks for that bit of history.

I occasionally ran one of those switchers in our operation at US Steel in Chicago. That was the fun part of the job playing 'engineer'.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 15 Dec 2019, 4:25 pm

Nice start! Is this part of the set that includes the passenger car you restored a while back? Regardless, looking forward to seeing this develop.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down