Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit

+3
Promodmerc
RetiredMike
Old Coyote
7 posters

Go down

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit Empty A different twist on a Ramchargers kit

Post by Old Coyote Sat 12 Oct 2019, 9:00 pm

... don't know how many of you can remember the early '70's ....... short wheelbase top fuelers ....... and shock, some of them were powered by big block Chevrolets ......... and some were a "legs under" design which raised the rear end so the drivers legs could go under the axles ...... that also caused the engines to sit in a very "nose down" attitude ....... not many drivers liked that configuration, but some of those cars were very competitive

I built this "phantom" BBC Chevrolet fueler from a Ramchargers kit ....... used the 427 Chevy from an AMT '37 Chevy which was perfect for the "legs under" configuration ....... Painted the car Testors gloss black with a Testors Orange chassis ...... details from Pro Tech ..... and a set of Slixx decals designed for use on Graeme Cowin's funny car ..... and of course the cowl had to sport a  Chevrolet "Bow Tie"  and "Taz" wreaking a little havoc

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit QHWQURP

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 2lx6iiw

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit P17It03

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit AZuoiIV

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit ISFSOMr

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit VjWpFXi
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit Empty Re: A different twist on a Ramchargers kit

Post by RetiredMike Mon 14 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

Great bit of nostalgia. Nice work. A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 1705482731
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit Empty Re: A different twist on a Ramchargers kit

Post by Guest Mon 14 Oct 2019, 3:07 pm

Man I am digging this, very nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Coyote Tue 15 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Just to prove that these "legs under" cars really existed, here's a shot of "Terrible Ted" Gotelli's gorgeous rig. Note the nose down attitude of the big Chrysler.

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit FKuTXeN
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2019, 12:01 am

Thanks OC. I never knew these car actually existed. I'd really like to see a driver compartment on one of these. Is it really legs undear or is it just a saying?

Back to top Go down

Post by Promodmerc Wed 16 Oct 2019, 4:25 pm

There is no way I'd want my legs under the axle.

I saw a picture on Instagram last I'd never seen before. It was a picture from the front of
Big Daddy's famous clutch explosion after the frame snapped in two.

It was in color as well.
Promodmerc
Promodmerc
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2019, 4:51 pm

Promodmerc wrote:There is no way I'd want my legs under the axle.

I saw a picture on Instagram last I'd never seen before. It was a picture from the front of
Big Daddy's famous clutch explosion after the frame snapped in two.

It was in color as well.

I've seen that pic, it's wild.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Coyote Thu 17 Oct 2019, 11:16 am

Curtis wrote:Thanks OC. I never knew these car actually existed. I'd really like to see a driver compartment on one of these. Is it really legs undear or is it just a saying?

They were real, and they were very quick. However, it took a special kind of individual to drive one. I understand the visibility for the driver was very limited. But they were pretty beasts.

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit W9f2IpK

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit Zf3PrIY

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit V2H4Z3C
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Coyote Thu 17 Oct 2019, 11:04 pm

Here's a picture of a "legs under" car under construction ...... note the legs position in comparison to the axles

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 3724537
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Fri 18 Oct 2019, 9:07 am

That driving position is crazy.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Oct 2019, 12:34 pm

A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 3298140763 A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 1578238153

Getting in and out must has been a real struggle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Promodmerc Fri 18 Oct 2019, 1:53 pm

Curtis wrote:A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 3298140763 A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 1578238153

Getting in and out must has been a real struggle.

I'd have a hell of a time with my "fine" physique A different twist on a Ramchargers kit 1792231099
Promodmerc
Promodmerc
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:15 pm

A beautiful build of a terrifying class of terrifying vehicles. The rail dragsters always freaked me out as much as they impressed.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:58 am

Beautiful build.  In the early 60's small block Chevy's often won Top Fuel over Chrysler hemi's because the tires just couldn't put down the power from the engine.  Better tires led to domination of the hemi, although the rat motor cars and Ford SOHC could hold their own.  My favorite Top Fuel car was the Surfer's (Skinner, Jobe & Sorokin).  There's a very interesting YouTube series about the Surfers that Bill Pitts created.    It's 51 15 minute episodes so it's an investment in time, but you will be amazed at what you learn.
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 13 Nov 2019, 11:09 pm

A thousand thanks! You are a Professor of piston power. As for the legs under approach, it's confirmed by a vote, they WERE nuts!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down