Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modelers curse

+2
GaryDainton
Skid
6 posters

Go down

Modelers curse Empty Modelers curse

Post by disabled modeler Tue 13 Jun 2017, 12:09 pm

I was wondering just how many others suffer from modelers curse like me...? I have over 100 I have tried to find parts for so I can restore them plus around 50 projects waiting for parts to be found so I can make progress on them. Every time I start another I find I need a parts,donor model,etc. I do not have.... Modelers curse 1757741307

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Modelers curse Empty Re: Modelers curse

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

I'm in the middle of a block right now.  I haven't finished a model since last December.  I must have started at least six since December, but none get finished.  I keep telling myself it's because of illness or the surgeries I have had, but that excuse is getting pretty thin, even for me.  Does anybody have a suggestion how to kick myself in the back side and get going again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 13 Jun 2017, 6:07 pm

Get Trisha to do it John. I'm sure she would be only too pleased!!! Modelers curse 1792231099 Modelers curse 1792231099

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:39 pm

I think you would benefit from finishing a nice Voyager model John, I would even be willing to provide it for you Modelers curse 1705482731

Mark, just get a nice new kit and enjoy a complete build my friend. Modelers curse 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:47 pm

Do a curbside simple model maybe John?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Wed 14 Jun 2017, 12:44 am

dublin boy wrote:Do a curbside simple model maybe John?

I have done that too John...bad thing is I found out I like them just as much...LOL.. Sometimes others have gone out of their normal build area and built something different to get things going from a building block.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 15 Jun 2017, 2:31 am

Though I don't have the problem of multiple builds getting stalled *cue riotous, derisive laughter* I have had to contend with 'creative block' a multitude of times in my life.  

My current means of overcoming the blockage or stall is to just drop it ... walk away and pick up a good book or watch that really cheesy B-movie or whatever.  Instead of dwelling on how much work I'm not doing I try to groove myself into the thought process of 'boxing it up' for the time being.  

Sometimes when it gets bad I even clean up the work space, put everything in its place and then, on the blank and pristine work top, I place the last part I was working on before the block hit.  

Eventually the itch comes back, sometimes on the exact track and spot where you left it, sometimes from a new and different level of reality, but it comes back.  

I talked to an artist friend and her take on it was that the personal creative tank was dry.  Her coping mechanism was much like mine, try to turn off the creative pursuits (in her case painting and pottery) and do nothing to compensate (like a different sort of creativity) and just let yourself absorb the creativity of others.

I don't know how this might work for others but I thought I'd share it.  A couple of notes; I now go cold turkey, no little bit here and there, and I got back into reading books (the paper kind) to keep me from minor fiddling.  This way the urge gets to build up a good head of steam ... and you'll know when there needs to be a pressure release, lol.

Hope this might be of some help.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 15 Jun 2017, 5:28 pm

There are as many ways to deal with loss of creativity (and frustrations of building sometimes) as there are builders. Time away is a two-edged sword. It can bring hunger to return, or it can prove a loss of interest.
When I built and got burned out or frustrated, I'd go to something easy and "box stock." A simple plane or ship or curbside can bring the juices flowing. Trying something outside one's comfort zone is a challenge, a clean slate of something different. Sometimes a self-reward after a long session of work can inspire, food, or something special can help.
Oddly, exercise to get the physical self working can release tension and is a good for both health and to make the careful work of construction and long sitting more bearable. Here's to modeling in all forms!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum